Fuel Needs?

Pages: 1
LAMdriver
07/10/09 02:12 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok, I know that I have been out of the entire CBT and AT2 for a long while. I might just need to be reminded or flat out told the rules for this question.

Why do Areofighters need fuel when they have Fusion engines? I mean that it makes no sense to me. Convential fighters I understand. They are just atmosphereic flyers and smaller than aerofighters.

Please be gentle in your responses.
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks
Venom
07/10/09 04:03 AM

They require reaction matter to produce thrust. Reaction matter in this case being hydrogen that when mixed with the super-heated plasma of the reactor, burn and produce thrust.
LAMdriver
07/10/09 04:16 AM

Thanks. Makes more sense now.
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks
Venom
07/10/09 04:25 AM

Tech Manual explains pretty much all the questions about technical aspects you may have in a kind of fun way.
CrayModerator
07/10/09 03:11 PM

Quote:

Ok, I know that I have been out of the entire CBT and AT2 for a long while. I might just need to be reminded or flat out told the rules for this question.

Why do Areofighters need fuel when they have Fusion engines? I mean that it makes no sense to me. Convential fighters I understand. They are just atmosphereic flyers and smaller than aerofighters.

Venom hit it on the head. Aerospace fighters are still rockets, and rockets only move by throwing things out the tailpipe. Fusion rockets just use less than chemical rockets because the hot gas coming out their tailpipe is hotter and faster.

Conventional fighters are in the same boat - they use reaction engines, though they can be augmented with some air to reduce reaction mass consumption compared to aerospace fighters. And they're not necessarily smaller than aerospace fighters - a MechBuster is heavier than a lot of light aerospace fighters.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5315

Contact Admins Sarna.net