3 ER PPC
1 ER Medium laser

Aft
5 ER medium lasers

Fire Factors
Nose 5
Wings 3
Aft 2

There was not a great deal that Assinine Industries could do to upgrade the Leopard drop ships that they possessed do to there limited manufacturing abilities with space craft.

The standard armor that protected the drop sips was striped off and replaced with Ferro-Aluminum armor that was obtained from a manufacture that is in the Federated Suns. The armor had became available when the treaty that was signed between Adam Eselon and the Federated Suns was finalized.

To increase the range and reliability of the ships forward firepower the long range missile 20 system, the particle projector cannons, and the medium lasers where all removed to be replaced by five extended range particle projector cannons. The ER PPCs had increased the range at which the ship can effectually engage other craft in combat.

On the wings the same was done that was done with the forward weapons the LRM-20 and the two large lasers where replaced with three ER PPCs. The medium laser was upgraded with an extended range medium laser.

The aft section had had its large laser removed to be replaced with more closer ranged but effective weapons. If a couple of fighters sneak into the ships rear ark and come into range they will find that the rear is not as lightly defended as they might have expected. The five extended range medium lasers can destroy a light fighter in short order or do a good deal of damage a heavier fighter.

To help the drop ship to deal with the great amount of heat build up that it can generate with such a large amount of energy weapons all eighty heat sinks where replaced with double heat sinks. The ship can fire a great deal of its weapons all at the same time and not be to worried about heat build up.

Some of the more impressive upgrades has nothing to do with the ships tactical abilities but with more its electronic components. The ships boast some of the most advanced and compact computers and communication system that are found on any drop ship.

With the firepower and armor that the leopard and its accompanying six STU-AE Stuka heavy fighters boast its believed that they can defeat a Union class drop ship and its two fighters is short order. If all three leopard drop ships with there accompanying three wings of heavy fighters they would down a Overload and its wing of fighters would with very little trouble.

Because of the tactics of keeping a landed drop ship grounded that the ship and its fighters engage in the weapons and armor that the ship has in its rear arc is not considered a great weakness of the design. Seeing a drop ship that has eleven PPCs and a wing of heavy fighters doing a strafing run at a launching drop ship would have a lot of people wishing that they had a change of shorts handy.

There has been tests done to use the leopards as very heavy bombers by attaching a large bomb loads of dummy bombs on the drop ship's under side. But so far that's all that has been done was tests. It has not been attempted in a live fire fight. If it is found that it could work it can deliver a massive bombing attack onto an enemies LZ.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
12/13/11 10:20 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Edit:

Where I said wing of fighters I meant Squadron of fighters.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
wonko
12/14/11 06:47 AM

i'll take some
Democrats are the root of all evil
Prince_of_Darkness
12/25/11 07:35 PM

You can't fit 6 fighters into the ship without making some SERIOUS cutbacks in other areas (fuel, food, weapons, speed ect.)- even with about 100 tons of fuel and 5 tons of food I still need another ~80 tons, which before cargo, is bad. You also armored the "Engine", which isn't a target or site.

The weapons aren't too bad, however the lack of other systems makes it feel somewhat undergunned. Since it's going up against other aerospace fighters (as an aerospace fighter carrier) I think adding some pulse lasers (LPL's spring to mind, just a few) and some LB-X Autocannons (for flak) would be a nice addition, to blast down known quick nuisances like the Seydlitz.
12/25/11 10:16 PM

I did not change anything except the weapons and armor from a standard Lepoard CV. So if there is a problem take it up with original game designers. As for the armor location "Engine" that came straight from TR 3025 so if you don't like it take that up with who ever was the final editor was before the book went to the printer and not me.

I don't like Inter Sphere pulse weapons and I really hate auto-cannons of any kind. I am quite happy as the ship is as it is. The ship is meant to hit hard at the longest range possible and my ship does that.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
12/26/11 03:07 AM

Quote:

I did not change anything except the weapons and armor from a standard Lepoard CV.

D'oh! I checed sarna for the weight before I looked at my old TRO's- I put down 1700 tons instead of 1900. But no, you changed a lot- the guns/kind of guns, the armor used and the amount...

Quote:

As for the armor location "Engine" that came straight from TR 3025 so if you don't like it take that up with who ever was the final editor was before the book went to the printer and not me.

Uh, I don't remember any "Engine" in TRO: 3025. Also, why don't you have the new books yet? They've been out for years.

Quote:

I don't like Inter Sphere pulse weapons and I really hate auto-cannons of any kind.

The -2/-1 to-hit that pulse and flak weapons provide in aerospace combat can be awesome- perfect for swatting down light, fast ships lie Batu or some other ****. While I can agree with some of that on the ground, in space Pulse lasers come into a whole new world with that modifier.

Quote:

The ship is meant to hit hard at the longest range possible and my ship does that.

It doesn't, actually. Light Gauss Rifles go into the extreme range and deal 8 points of damage for negligible heat, and while 5 ER Peepers can screw up an aerojock's day, starts dropping off bad against other droppers- god forbid if you had to face another dropship in this thing.

Here's something I slapped together. Though it uses ammo and can't project as much firepower in front, it has more cargo, more fuel/food, has a varied armament against all sorts of opponents, and most of all- is legal. Undoubtedly I could do better with some time, but it's 1 AM and I'm starting to see spots.

Code:
                     AeroTech 2 Vessel Technical Readout
VALIDATED

Class/Model/Name: Leopard Advanced CF Special
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3067
Vessel Type: Aerodyne DropShip
Rules: Level 2, Standard design
Rules Set: AeroTech2

Mass: 1,900 tons
Power Plant: Standard
Safe Thrust: 4
Maximum Thrust: 6
Armor Type: Ferro-aluminum
Armament:
2 Light Gauss Rifle
6 LRM 15
8 Large Pulse Laser
16 Medium Laser
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Class/Model/Name: Leopard Advanced CF Special

Equipment: Mass
Power Plant, Drive & Control: 494.00
Thrust: Safe Thrust: 4
Structural Integrity: 7 66.50
Total Heat Sinks: 80 Double 56.00
Fuel & Fuel Pumps: 140.00
Bridge, Controls, Radar, Computer & Attitude Thrusters: 15.00
Fire Control Computers: .00
Food & Water: (80 days supply) 8.00
Armor Type: Ferro-aluminum (592 total armor pts) 31.50
Standard Scale Armor Pts
Fore: 195
Left/Right Wings: 148/148
Aft: 101

Cargo:
Bay 1: Fighters (2) with 2 doors 300.00
Bay 2: Fighters (1) with 2 doors 150.00
Bay 3: Fighters (2) with 2 doors 300.00
Bay 4: Cargo (1) with 1 door 86.00

Escape Pods: 2 (7 tons each) 14.00

Crew and Passengers:
1 Officers (1 minimum) 10.00
3 Crew (3 minimum) 21.00
6 Gunners (6 minimum) 42.00
10 Bay Personnel .00
Weapons and Equipment Loc SRV MRV LRV ERV Heat Mass
2 Light Gauss Rifle(64 rounNose 2(16) 2(16) 2(16) 2(16) 2 28.00
2 LRM 15(64 rounds) Nose 2(18) 2(18) 2(18) -- 10 22.00
2 Large Pulse Laser Nose 2(18) 2(18) -- -- 20 14.00
4 Medium Laser Nose 2(20) -- -- -- 12 4.00
2 LRM 15(64 rounds) L/RW 2(18) 2(18) 2(18) -- 20 44.00
2 Large Pulse Laser L/RW 2(18) 2(18) -- -- 40 28.00
4 Medium Laser L/RW 2(20) -- -- -- 24 8.00
4 Medium Laser Aft 2(20) -- -- -- 12 4.00
2 Large Pulse Laser Aft 2(18) 2(18) -- -- 20 14.00
TOTALS: Heat: 160 1,900.00
Tons Left: .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 277,954,128 C-Bills
Battle Value: 4,226
Cost per BV: 65,772.39
Weapon Value: 6,178 (Ratio = 1.46)
Damage Factors: SRV = 210; MRV = 117; LRV = 20; ERV = 0
Maintenance: Maintenance Point Value (MPV) = 16,237
(7,583 Structure, 5,940 Life Support, 2,714 Weapons)
Support Points (SP) = 10,017 (62% of MPV)
BattleForce2: MP: 4, Armor/Structure: 10 / 10
Damage PB/M/L: 19/13/7, Overheat: 0
Class: DS; Point Value: 42
Specials: if

CrayModerator
12/26/11 10:32 AM

Quote:

As for the armor location "Engine" that came straight from TR 3025 so if you don't like it take that up with who ever was the final editor was before the book went to the printer and not me.

TR:3025 (Original) was written for Aerotech 1st edition, and pre-dated even construction rules for DropShips. As of BattleSpace, armor locations for all aerospace units changed dramatically to fewer locations. The "fuselage," "engine," and "cockpit" locations of fighters disappeared; even DropShips were reduced to 4 hit locations.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
12/27/11 05:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I did not change anything except the weapons and armor from a standard Lepoard CV.

D'oh! I checed sarna for the weight before I looked at my old TRO's- I put down 1700 tons instead of 1900. But no, you changed a lot- the guns/kind of guns, the armor used and the amount...

I used the same exact number of tons of weapons that I removed. I used the tonnage that Cray quoted me that the Leopard carries. As for the armor, I added one ton from the cargo space to fill things in better.

Quote:

Quote:

Uh, I don't remember any "Engine" in TRO: 3025. Also, why don't you have the new books yet? They've been out for years.

Here, you pay for all of them and send them to me. That way we both will be happy. I did not wast a lot of money on a useless purchases and you will see me post stuff with updated game rules.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't like Inter Sphere pulse weapons and I really hate auto-cannons of any kind.

The -2/-1 to-hit that pulse and flak weapons provide in aerospace combat can be awesome- perfect for swatting down light, fast ships lie Batu or some other ****. While I can agree with some of that on the ground, in space Pulse lasers come into a whole new world with that modifier.

If that's what you like that on your ship that's fine. I like weapons that have a range more than a standard medium laser and more hitting power than a MG.

Quote:

Quote:

The ship is meant to hit hard at the longest range possible and my ship does that.

It doesn't, actually. Light Gauss Rifles go into the extreme range and deal 8 points of damage for negligible heat, and while 5 ER Peepers can screw up an aerojock's day, starts dropping off bad against other droppers- god forbid if you had to face another dropship in this thing.

The 10 damage that the ERPPC does was more than the 8 that a LGR does. Oh and the ERPPC weighs about half than the LGR and is not limited by ammo.

I am not going to wast limited ammo on a shot that has almost no chance of hitting going for a extreme range shot.

Your ship is almost basically defenseless at any range over 10 hexes. You firing ammo limited weapons at long range. Who cares if my ERPPC might only have a box car chance of hitting, I might just get lucky. Its not like it will harm me in any way.

[Edited by Cray to minimize unnecessary flames]

Edited by Cray (12/27/11 10:08 AM)
CrayModerator
12/27/11 10:06 AM

I've attached a version made with HMA that's relatively true to His Most Royal Highass Donkey's concept. I started with the classic Leopard CV and it worked pretty well except for catastrophic heat problems. To add in a useful number of heat sinks, I cut out some fuel tonnage and the escape pods (the Leopard CV didn't have enough pods anyway). I left the tiny cargo unchanged because the 6 fighters will need supplies: ammo and especially fuel.

AeroTech 2 Vessel Technical Readout
VALIDATED

Class/Model/Name: Leopard CV AI
Tech: Inner Sphere / 2581
Vessel Type: Aerodyne DropShip
Rules: Level 2, Standard design
Rules Set: AeroTech2

Length: 70 meters
Power Plant: V84 Standard
Safe Thrust: 4
Armor Type: Ferro-aluminum
Armament:
11 ER PPC
7 ER Medium Laser

Class/Model/Name: Leopard CV AI

Equipment: Mass
Power Plant, Drive & Control: 494.00
Thrust: Safe Thrust: 4
Structural Integrity: 7 66.50
Total Heat Sinks: 95 Double 71.00
Fuel & Fuel Pumps: 102.00
Bridge, Controls, Radar, Computer & Attitude Thrusters: 15.00
Fire Control Computers: .00
Armor Type: Ferro-aluminum (557 total armor pts) 29.50
Standard Scale Armor Pts
Fore: 186
Left/Right Wings: 139/139
Aft: 93

Cargo:
Bay 1: Fighters (2) with 2 doors 300.00
Bay 2: Fighters (2) with 2 doors 300.00
Bay 3: Fighters (2) with 2 doors 300.00
Bay 4: Cargo (1) 69.00

Crew and Passengers:
2 Officers (1 minimum) 20.00
4 Crew (2 minimum) 28.00
3 Gunners (3 minimum) 21.00
12 Bay Personnel .00
Weapons and Equipment Loc SRV MRV LRV ERV Heat Mass
5 ER PPC Nose 5(50) 5(50) 5(50) -- 75 35.00
3 ER PPC L/RW 3(30) 3(30) 3(30) -- 90 42.00
1 ER Medium Laser L/RW 1(5) 1(5) -- -- 10 2.00
5 ER Medium Laser Aft 3(25) 3(25) -- -- 25 5.00
TOTALS: Heat: 200 1,900.00
Tons Left: .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 259,106,400 C-Bills
Battle Value: 3,693
Cost per BV: 70,161.49
Weapon Value: 5,705 (Ratio = 1.54)
Damage Factors: SRV = 126; MRV = 99; LRV = 29; ERV = 0
Maintenance: Maintenance Point Value (MPV) = 16,454
(7,731 Structure, 5,990 Life Support, 2,733 Weapons)
Support Points (SP) = 11,366 (69% of MPV)
BattleForce2: MP: 4, Armor/Structure: 10 / 9
Damage PB/M/L: 12/12/11, Overheat: 0
Class: DS; Point Value: 37

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
12/27/11 10:18 AM

Quote:

If that's what you like that on your ship that's fine. I like weapons that have a range more than a standard medium laser and more hitting power than a MG.

The IS large pulse laser is an excellent aerospace weapon. It has a medium range and the -2 to-hit gives it more firepower than its brute damage suggests. That's longer range than a standard medium laser (which has a short range) and quite a bit more damage than an MG.

The IS LB10X and LB20X both have medium ranges and a -1 to-hit. Their damage with cluster ammo is 6 and 12, respectively. As they lack their ferocious crit-seeking found in ground combat, they aren't the ideal weapons for their weight but they don't suck.

12/27/11 12:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The IS large pulse laser is an excellent aerospace weapon. It has a medium range and the -2 to-hit gives it more firepower than its brute damage suggests. That's longer range than a standard medium laser (which has a short range) and quite a bit more damage than an MG.

I don't see anything great about the IS large pulse laser.
The LPL compared to the ML; LPL weights 7X as much, has one more hex of range with a -2 to hit, does 1.8X the damage, creates 3.3X the heat.
About the only thing that is good about the LPL over a battery of MLs is that a battery of MLs would need its own gunner.

The comment about the damage of a MG was towards the LB-X AC 2 & 5 weapons and not the LPL.

Quote:

The IS LB10X and LB20X both have medium ranges and a -1 to-hit. Their damage with cluster ammo is 6 and 12, respectively. As they lack their ferocious crit-seeking found in ground combat, they aren't the ideal weapons for their weight but they don't suck.

From what you are saying here the LB-X class of weapons no longer roll on the #of missiles list but have a fixed amount of damage. Is the same true of SRM and LRMs? That new rule would speed up the time it takes to get though a round of space combat.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
12/27/11 01:00 PM

Quote:

I've attached a version made with HMA that's relatively true to His Most Royal Highass Donkey's concept. I started with the classic Leopard CV and it worked pretty well except for catastrophic heat problems. To add in a useful number of heat sinks, I cut out some fuel tonnage and the escape pods (the Leopard CV didn't have enough pods anyway). I left the tiny cargo unchanged because the 6 fighters will need supplies: ammo and especially fuel.

Thanks for updating my ship with the new rules.

As for the heat build up the ship was not really meant to fire all of the weapons at once. It could fire all of the ERPPC with only a 5 heat a turn build up. If the ERMLs are wanted to be fired then all that has to be done is not to fire some of the ERPPCs.

From all of the extra tiny details that you are paying attention to I am guessing they made designing dropships, jumpships, more complicated from the original rule book of space ship construction. I left out warships because I don't recall them being in the original space ship construction rule book. I don't remember if the original space ship construction rule book was in print before or after the clans where added to the game.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
12/27/11 03:19 PM

Quote:

The LPL compared to the ML; LPL weights 7X as much, has one more hex of range with a -2 to hit, does 1.8X the damage, creates 3.3X the heat.
About the only thing that is good about the LPL over a battery of MLs is that a battery of MLs would need its own gunner.

Under standard aerospace rules, your range comparison is incorrect. The LPL has an aerospace range of "medium" (standard weapon scale, not capital scale "medium"), while the medium laser has a range of "short." Medium is 12 hexes, short is 6 hexes. (Long is 20, Extreme is 25. Double each range band for capital weapons.)

The -2 is more than icing on the cake: the LPL has "short" target numbers for the entire "medium" range band (unlike standard lasers), and even better TNs for 1-6 hexes. That can increase average damage anywhere from 20% to 600%, depending on the base target number. Generally speaking, pulse weapons' to-hit advantage equates to a 50% damage increase compared to weapons lacking the -2.

The ER PPC's "Extreme" range is, however, useful and makes it a solid choice for IS weaponry.

The LB10X and LB20X are also "medium" range weapons, vs the "short" of medium lasers.

Quote:

From what you are saying here the LB-X class of weapons no longer roll on the #of missiles list but have a fixed amount of damage.

In aerospace combat, yes.

Quote:

Is the same true of SRM and LRMs?

In aerospace combat, yes.

CrayModerator
12/27/11 03:22 PM

Quote:

From all of the extra tiny details that you are paying attention to I am guessing they made designing dropships, jumpships, more complicated from the original rule book of space ship construction. I left out warships because I don't recall them being in the original space ship construction rule book. I don't remember if the original space ship construction rule book was in print before or after the clans where added to the game.

The rules for constructing aerospace fighters appeared in Aerotech 1. Rules for all other spacecraft types (DropShips, JumpShips, space stations, WarShips, small craft) first appeared in Battlespace.

Battlespace's construction rules remains roughly correct, but Aerotech 2, Aerotech 2 (Revised) and Total Warfare/Tech Manual have tweaked the basic Battlespace rules enough that trying to use a cheap eBay or pirated Battlespace .pdf will produce misleading results. (A particular problem is fire control tonnage, which Battlespace lacked.)

12/27/11 05:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Under standard aerospace rules, your range comparison is incorrect. The LPL has an aerospace range of "medium" (standard weapon scale, not capital scale "medium"), while the medium laser has a range of "short." Medium is 12 hexes, short is 6 hexes. (Long is 20, Extreme is 25. Double each range band for capital weapons.)

The -2 is more than icing on the cake: the LPL has "short" target numbers for the entire "medium" range band (unlike standard lasers), and even better TNs for 1-6 hexes. That can increase average damage anywhere from 20% to 600%, depending on the base target number. Generally speaking, pulse weapons' to-hit advantage equates to a 50% damage increase compared to weapons lacking the -2.

The ER PPC's "Extreme" range is, however, useful and makes it a solid choice for IS weaponry.

The LB10X and LB20X are also "medium" range weapons, vs the "short" of medium lasers.

This is all new to me. The last that I knew there was no difference between ground combat and aerospace combat ranges.

Can you explain more how a weapon is in one range group and not another and the affects of being in that range group.

Are targeting computers not allowed in aerospace ships?

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
12/27/11 11:11 PM

Quote:

This is all new to me. The last that I knew there was no difference between ground combat and aerospace combat ranges.

The difference began in 1993, 18 years ago, with the publication of Battlespace.

Quote:

Can you explain more how a weapon is in one range group and not another and the affects of being in that range group.

Weapons are assigned to range bands the same way they get into any ground-based range: because they're assigned so on a weapon table. Shorter ranged weapons have short or medium ranges. Longer ranged weapons have long or extreme range. See a Battlespace, AT2, AT2R, or Total Warfare weapon charts, which will give aerospace ranges.

The effects of being in a range group? That's their range, period. A medium laser has a "short" range. That means it has a range of 6. A large laser has a range of "medium": 12 hexes. Nothing more, nothing less.

Range bands come with different target modifiers: +0 at short, +2 at medium, +4 at long, +6 at extreme (or something like that). This has the curious effect that a weapon with short range (like a medium laser) will never experience to-hit penalties for medium, long, or extreme range attacks.

Quote:

Are targeting computers not allowed in aerospace ships?

They are allowed, though called shots are only an advanced rule. For the most part, a TC is only a -1 to-hit bonus available to any ballistic or energy weapon - AC/20, pulse laser, small laser, etc.

12/29/11 09:25 AM

If I understand this correctly a medium laser can shoot at anything that is within 6 hexed but has no targeting modifier even if the target is in ground combat 4-6 medium range.

Another example, a target is 7 hexes away and you fire a ERPPC. That should be within the ERPPCs short range but its in the medium space range so there is a +2 to hit where in ground combat it would have a +0 modifier.

Am I understanding this correctly?

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
12/29/11 12:14 PM

Quote:

If I understand this correctly a medium laser can shoot at anything that is within 6 hexed but has no targeting modifier even if the target is in ground combat 4-6 medium range.

I don't believe so. Aerospace-to-ground combat is a unique kettle of fish.

Quote:

Another example, a target is 7 hexes away and you fire a ERPPC. That should be within the ERPPCs short range but its in the medium space range so there is a +2 to hit where in ground combat it would have a +0 modifier.

Correct, except for the ground part I believe.
CrayModerator
12/30/11 12:45 AM

Quote:

Correct for space-to-space combat.

Quote:

Correct for space-to-space combat.

Edited by Cray (12/30/11 12:45 AM)
12/30/11 11:26 AM

Sorry, I should have been more clear that I was talking of aerospace unit to aerospace unit combat range compared to ground unit to ground unit combat range.

BTW has the rules for aerospace unit verses ground unit combat changed at all?

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
12/30/11 02:18 PM

Quote:

BTW has the rules for aerospace unit verses ground unit combat changed at all?

I don't recall much about AT1 versus modern aerospace-vs-ground rules. I do recall that strafing with energy weapons only affects a 5-hex strip instead of an entire hex. Bomb damage is different; you put 10 points of a bomb per hard point, rather than dealing with bombs of different sizes. If you want a bigger blast on one hex, you release more hard points (and, if you feel like it, say it was a bigger bomb, not multiple bombs.) There's a lot more variety in hard point munitions: anti-shipping missiles, rocket pods, fuel tanks, Arrow IVs, etc.

Ground-to-air fire is different, though I'm not sure how much. I do know that under basic rules even trivial damage forces low-flying fighters and DropShips into control rolls, the outcome of which can be a crash.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9816

Contact Admins Sarna.net