Terrain....

Pages: 1
Karagin
08/17/02 11:40 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
How do most of you go about selecting terrain to do battle over?

Do you use the random map generators?

Do you turn a bunch of maps upside down and then pick at random?

Do you have each player draw one map and what ever is drawn is what is used?

For those of you who use 3D terrain, (i.e. Geo-hex or other similar items) how do you pick what is actually used?

If you have a home grown way of picking maps etc...could you share it with us?

Also if you use a combo of maps and 3D Terrain any ideas on how that helps or what not are welcome as well...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
08/18/02 12:35 AM

Lately, my BT experiences have been limited to pick-up games, so map selection is along the lines of, "I'll start printing the mechs. You, get the beer. You, get some maps." And we get maps, with a suspicious relationship between the maps we get and how high they are on the stack. (To wit: we tend to play with the ones on the top of the stack.)

Notionally, a campaign-style game would involve a GM determining appropriate maps for the battle.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Greyslayer
08/18/02 01:30 AM

Essentially we have a GM deside either who builds the terrain or makes the terrain depending directly on what the missions would entail (no use using roads if its a fight out in the boonies somewhere). We build our own maps using the method of screen printed carpet underlay and forest templates with urban templates and trees and buildings.

Greyslayer
Cheapbuzz
08/18/02 03:09 AM

I made my own terrain for minature play. Usually I just throw out some pieces at random and start playing. Unless I have a theme or something else going on.
novakitty
08/18/02 11:48 AM

It depends, if the combat is part of some sort of campaign, I pick something appropriate. If it is an arena battle, I typically roll a die and choose the arena that way. If it is a plotless bit of mech combat, I ask the others "Where would you like to go boom today?"
meow
Nightward
08/18/02 07:22 PM

When I play, we don't really care what terrain is used. Generally, we reach into the Big Box o' BattleTech Maps (one of my friends has pretty much every map from all the Boxed Sets) and away we go. However, we tend to avoid those red mesa/canyon maps and anything else where determining elevation levels takes more than a cursory glance.

At the tournaments I play, the Referee (Ned Piggot) conscripts a bunch of people (usually me and Scott, plus whoever else arrived early to brag) to set up the maps. He wanders around after and tweaks them if they are a bit off. Then a number from one to whatever is assigned to each table and he rolls before each map to see who plays where.

Personally, I find that terrain (aside from City or flat conbcrete maps) have very little effect on my playing style- ie, find the water, skulk in the forests. So as long as the map has water or forests, I'm happy to play there
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
08/18/02 07:28 PM

'skulk in the forests'

Is that what you call it? I tend to call it 'hulking' since that is what they would be doing shortly!!!

Greyslayer
Nightward
08/18/02 07:43 PM

I dunno. It worked pretty well against that guy from Sydney who came up with a WarHammer IIC

I hid 3 hexes into the woods so I could fire out (albeit at a +2 modifier) and the 'Hammer couldn't shoot back. Granted, he could have Cleared or set fire to the woods, but it would have taken too long. Nasty trick, that one

If I was fighting something a little faster (ie: anything but the WarHammer IIC) the tactic would not have worked. But my usual playing partner (a Ghost Bear) has the philosophy of "If it's less than 85 tons and not a Timber Wolf, it's not worth my while to take." So I've had lots of practice at using the terrain to beat up on the big guys
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
08/18/02 07:56 PM

'I hid 3 hexes into the woods so I could fire out (albeit at a +2 modifier) and the 'Hammer couldn't shoot back.'

How so the rules you read so wrongly? (deliberate poor grammar). The Warhammer could still hit you unless his too-hit exceeded 12 unless there were a modifier of +3 for woods 'intervening' between you and your target. You could have a modifier of +4 for woods and your opponent can still hit you (say for example you are in a heavy wood and there is a heavy woods in front of you then the resulting modifier for firing on you would be +4 but only +2 for you to return fire).

Me I'm not called the 'Eco-vandal' for nothing in battletech

Greyslayer
realworldviews
08/18/02 09:47 PM

He's right.
The woods hex you are in does not count toward LOS.
3 Light wood or 1 Light & 1 Heavy woods will block LOS both ways.

So, say by your example you were standing in a Light woods, and you had 2 light woods in front of you, it will be a +2 for you to fire out and a +3 for them to fire at you.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
Nightmare
08/19/02 07:22 AM

Add Long range 8 + Ran 2 to that +3, and vĂ²ila! Impossible target number.
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Greyslayer
08/19/02 04:46 PM

Every turn? Not even a Sydney-sider is that THICK

Greyslayer
Nightward
08/19/02 09:25 PM

I thought the hex you were in did count for LOS. Ah, well. Back to the book for me...

It would not have mattered in that game any way. His 'Hammer had a 4 gunner and I was moving flat chat through the woods. Plus, we were fighting in a blizzard. (Curse Ned and his randome weather effects!) He couldn't have hit me anyway. And IIRC, I scored an early Engine hit and critted his Life Support early on as well, so taking pot shots would have been a *BAD* idea...
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5725

Contact Admins Sarna.net