stratagizing

Pages: 1
Diablo
02/24/03 07:07 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
heres the situation. I have 3 mechs left on planet. an lvl 1 Atlas in fairly good condition with most of it's ammo. a Timber Wolf that's missing it's arms but it's other weapons work and have fill ammo. and a light 10 ton mech that can go 15 walking, with a medium laser. my opponent has a star of pack hunters after me but we've called a truce for 1 week so we can repair our mech on the field. I have 3 choices, face him in the canyon I'm in, or try lure him into the woods behind me, or I can trun past him and fight in the city where he has his supply depot. any suggestions before I choose to run for the city?
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Vapor
02/24/03 10:46 PM

Not knowing exactly what weapons your 'Mechs are carrying without looking it up, I'll have to go with just general strategies.

1) The Canyon: This is only a viable option if you can get the two lighter 'Mechs on top of the canyon firing down onto your enemy, while the Atlas engages them from inside the canyon. There should be limited maneuvering room in the canyon, which would suit the Atlas fine, as well as limit what your enemy can do. However, if your enemy is able to climb out of the canyon, you will be in a pretty bad situation.

2) The woods: This option may or may not be a good one, depending on the amount of short range weapons you have, and how accurate your 'MechWarriors are. LOS would be a problem for both you and your opponent, and the Atlas would be moving very slowly. If you want to try to slug it out, though, that would be a good place for it.

3) The city: If you can get past him and into the city, it might be a pretty good idea. Especially if you can capture his supply depot. Use the light 'Mech to draw his forces out of the city, then circle around behind with the Atlas and Timber Wolf. If you can capture his supply depot, you might be able to negotiate some sort of deal with him. Threaten to destroy his supplies if he doesn't deal. However, city fighting can be extremely brutal.

No matter which one you choose, it'll be a tough fight. I hate to say it, but it looks like your enemy has the upper hand. I wish you the best of luck.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
TJHairball
02/24/03 11:32 PM

I assume a Timber Wolf Prime? That means 2 LRM-20s with 6 ammo each, a MPL, an ERSL, and a couple MGs left.

Well, Pack Hunters are great on the open field; you'll want to make sure it ends up in close quarters. The canyon maps offer lots of convienient long shots, and his jumpy 'mechs have a huge advantage. The woods are a nice idea, but if you can get there safely, the city is a better bet. Probably. I'm assuming a standard model level 1 Atlas, which has 4 ML, AC/20, SRM-6, and LRM-20. You'll want to lure him in close to that sucker; hit once with the AC/20 and you have a good chance of crippling a 'mech, but keep it for good shots. Between the Atlas's rear armor and flexible firing arcs, close quarters are your best bet; try luring and soaking with the Atlas and flanking - if possible - with your lighter 'mechs. The Timber Wolf has substantial firepower still with 2 LRM-20 racks left, but the limited ammo on that would make me hold for the good shots. If you're using the extended movement modifier table, or some cover, flanking him with the 10 tonner when he jumps will work surprisingly well.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2967

Contact Admins Sarna.net