A good light company.

Pages: 1
Firekid
11/16/03 07:12 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
What in your opinion is the best company you can make using 11 light mechs and 1 40 ton 'mech. Must include the Fire Ant and Puma.
tgsofgc
11/16/03 07:26 AM

Couple of questions:
1) Are there any other requirements, say BV or cost?
2) WTH is a Fire Ant?
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
CrayModerator
11/16/03 08:47 AM

As a rule, I don't use light mechs. Anything they can do can be replaced with cheaper vehicles or aerospace fighters. But since you asked nicely...

Lance 1
Owens
Owens
Owens
Owens

Lance 2
Owens
Owens
Owens
Owens

Lance 3
Owens
Owens
Owens
Owens

Command Lance
Puma
Assassin
Fire Ant
Owens

If you don't like the heavy company configuration, ditch Lance 3.

I picked the Owens because it seems like it can fill most realistic light mech rolls, like scouting and harassing. 7 tons of pod space will do that. Just make sure you have plenty of Beagles and Guardians handy, plus some ER LLs, jump jets and LRMs. The Owens is also fast and fairly well armored for a light mech. My second pick would've been the Raptor, which was slower and thinner skinned, but had more pod space.

And why only the Owens? Well, there's some obvious benefits to have a single mech type in the unit, especially an omnimech. You never have parts incompatibilities, you only have to stock your cargo bays with spare parts for one mech type (as opposed to a dozen), etc. The mixed mech companies of BT are a logistics travesty that only the hard ships of the Succession Wars could create. Such horrors need to go the way of the dodo bird. Plus, like I said, the Owens gets the job done, and gets it done pretty well - 8/12 and 7 tons of armor, nice. The Owens' omnitech nature means it can very easily adapt Clan salvage, or replace damaged weapons with salvaged gear.

One would hope that eventually the other mech models in the company can eventually be squeezed out, or will fall out of service due to inadequate supplies. I'd recommend selling the Puma ASAP. That's good Clantech right there. You could buy yourself another lance of Owens for that.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Silenced_Sonix
11/16/03 10:34 AM

Ullers, Ullers and nothing but Ullers...

Then again, this is Sphere 'tech, and I'm a bit of a Clanner myself.
Question on the Puma: why is its primary variant such a 'loaded' design with two c/ER PPC's and a single flamer? I'm not familiar with it's heatsink-capablities, but isn't that pushing the Heat issue?
Evolve or Die
tgsofgc
11/16/03 01:46 PM

heh did a self ascribed "clanner" just ask abot why a clan mech was so over weaponed. The clans often choose weapon heavy versus things like heat efficient. How can one be an honorable skilled warrior if they simply alpha strike every turn and need not ever worry about the mechs heat. Oh auxillery weapons are always good if you can afford the space, especially with most of em being arm mounted.
Also I am pretty sure the puma isn't that bad especially in comparision to some mechs like the Nova.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
tgsofgc
11/16/03 02:50 PM

Inner Sphere:
Lance 1:
2 Fireball (ALM-7D)
2 Raptor Omnimechs
Lance 2:
2 Nighthawk (NTK-2Q)
1 Fire Ant
1 Puma
Lance 3:
4 Owens Omnimechs

Clan:
Star 1:
2 Ullers
2 Icestorms
1 Dasher
Star 2:
5 Cougers
Star 3:
2 Puma
1 Fire Ant
2 Dashers

I agree whole heartedly with Cray, these are colorful though. Note this isn't optimized for combat if anything these two designs are optimized to be effective at most Light Mech roles. Light mechs are generally worse than mediums at everything but moving fast, and of those things they can be good at vehicles can normally do better and cheaper.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Firekid
11/18/03 05:12 PM

No there are no other requirements, and the Fire Ant was just something to see if anyone was paying attention.
widowmaker
11/18/03 10:27 PM

IIRC, the Fire Ant was a cheap (read--SUCK) little 'Mech from 'Mech Commander 2, no? To my knowledge it's never been published officially. Anyone know for sure?
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
Sarge
12/17/03 02:32 AM

Light Company:

Fire Ant ( if no rules for it us e the Flea )
Locust
Mongoose
Locust
Jenner
Jenner
Tarantula
Tarantula
Puma
Panther
Hussar
Wolfhound

-Sarge
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7128

Contact Admins Sarna.net