jet booster tonnages should be reruled and 'Mech ammo explosions...

Pages: 1
MaiShirunaiispretty
03/20/09 12:40 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Jet boosters mass an amount equal to 10% of VTOL engine mass. That doesn't make sense because a VTOL could have an engine rating in which it could be an ICE, standard fusion, XL fusion, or XXL fusion and jet boosters for one of those engines couldn't be used if the VTOL had to change to a different engine due to damage/upgrading. How about jet boosters mass an amount equal to 10% of the unit's engine rating? And jet boosters should be available for LAMs and conventional vehicles too.

Also, 'Mech ammo explosions should not be able to harm those that use 'Mechs; fuses should be able to protect them.
Lafeel
03/21/09 06:18 PM

GiovanniBlasini
03/21/09 09:33 PM

Quote:

Jet boosters mass an amount equal to 10% of VTOL engine mass. That doesn't make sense because a VTOL could have an engine rating in which it could be an ICE, standard fusion, XL fusion, or XXL fusion and jet boosters for one of those engines couldn't be used if the VTOL had to change to a different engine due to damage/upgrading.

Jet boosters are modifications to the powerplant, not independent units.

Quote:

How about jet boosters mass an amount equal to 10% of the unit's engine rating? And jet boosters should be available for LAMs and conventional vehicles too.

10+ ton jet boosters would be essentially worthless.

Also, conventional vehicles use superchargers, as do BattleMechs, and aerospace fighters get access to neither, so, I'd say "no" on jet boosters for LAMs.
Also, 'Mech ammo explosions should not be able to harm those that use 'Mechs; fuses should be able to protect them.

Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
MaiShirunaiispretty
03/24/09 12:15 PM

A typo on my part I meant how about jet boosters mass (in tonnage, not quantity) an amount equal to 1% of the unit's engine rating? And jet boosters should be available for LAMs and conventional vehicles too. VTOLs get to use jet boosters and a LAM, in AirMech mode, should be able to also.
Yes, fuses should be able to protect those that pilot 'Mechs and use 'Mech weapons from 'Mech ammo explosions.
Wow, those bracing maneuvers sure do come in handy when firing proximity fused precision cluster flak ammo at a Balancer LAM. Unfortunately they make my 'Mech an immobile target for that LAM. Oh well, at least I'm getting partial cover.
MaiShirunaiispretty
04/21/09 12:19 PM

By the way, Newtype if you're reading, then having jet boosters mass an amount equal to 1% of an engine unit's rating would make your Tagger overtonnaged, Newtype. And GiovanniBlasini, A LAM in AirMech mode, when it's jumpgliding, follows the rules for VTOL movement so a LAM should be able to use jet boosters. Actually in theory any ground unit could use jet boosters as well as aerounits flying in an atmosphere.
Wow, those bracing maneuvers sure do come in handy when firing proximity fused precision cluster flak ammo at a Balancer LAM. Unfortunately they make my 'Mech an immobile target for that LAM. Oh well, at least I'm getting partial cover.

Edited by MaiShirunaiispretty (04/21/09 12:24 PM)
GiovanniBlasini
04/22/09 05:24 AM

Quote:

By the way, Newtype if you're reading, then having jet boosters mass an amount equal to 1% of an engine unit's rating would make your Tagger overtonnaged, Newtype. And GiovanniBlasini, A LAM in AirMech mode, when it's jumpgliding, follows the rules for VTOL movement so a LAM should be able to use jet boosters.

You've, of course, noted that LAMs in AirMech mode lack large rotors, right? And the legs? You saw the legs, right?

LAMs in AirMech mode are still basically 'Mechs.

Quote:

Actually in theory any ground unit could use jet boosters as well as aerounits flying in an atmosphere.

Well, your theory has some issues. What purpose would jet boosters serve on the side of a tank?
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
Prince_of_Darkness
04/22/09 12:44 PM

Lulz.
MaiShirunaiispretty
04/23/09 08:56 PM

Quote:

You've, of course, noted that LAMs in AirMech mode lack large rotors, right? And the legs? You saw the legs, right?

I understand what you're saying. I interpreted jet boosters to be some form of electrically powered ram air turbines that don't use fuel like aerofighters but rather are powered by the electricity of the VTOL's engine - the ram air turbines turn air that generate their electricity for their propellers to move themselves, (and the VTOL/AirMech), they're attached to.

Quote:

Well, your theory has some issues. What purpose would jet boosters serve on the side of a tank?

Increased movement points. Each pair of jet boosters applied to a tank would double its turn mode, though.

Edited by MaiShirunaiispretty (04/23/09 08:59 PM)
GiovanniBlasini
04/25/09 05:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I understand what you're saying. I interpreted jet boosters to be some form of electrically powered ram air turbines that don't use fuel like aerofighters but rather are powered by the electricity of the VTOL's engine - the ram air turbines turn air that generate their electricity for their propellers to move themselves, (and the VTOL/AirMech), they're attached to.

That's not a correct interpretation. You may wish to reread the rules.
Christopher_Perkins
04/25/09 12:06 PM

He is talking about the layer underneeth the rules layer... the part that gets abstracted in the rules

Jet Boosters are probably like what was in the old Air Wolf Show, Turbines.

Jump Jets have been depicted as turbines before...

and some have theorized that for Atmospheric Operations the Fighters could use atmosphere as reaction mass.

Problem is that Jet Boosters are incompatble with Jump Jets in the rules.

I Would say because they are the Exact Same.
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
GiovanniBlasini
04/25/09 11:29 PM

Quote:

He is talking about the layer underneeth the rules layer... the part that gets abstracted in the rules

Jet Boosters are probably like what was in the old Air Wolf Show, Turbines.

Jump Jets have been depicted as turbines before...

and some have theorized that for Atmospheric Operations the Fighters could use atmosphere as reaction mass.

Problem is that Jet Boosters are incompatble with Jump Jets in the rules.

I Would say because they are the Exact Same.

Can't be the same. Jump jets on BattleMechs are, basically, akin to VASIMR, using microwaves or some other directed energy to heat up incoming air or other reaction mass sufficient to provide significant amounts of thrust, enough to push a BattleMech airborne. They use enough power that, unlike directed energy weapons (PPCs, lasers, etc), you can't use a non-nuclear (ie. fusion or fission) powerplant on a BattleMech to power jump jets, even with power generators.

Vehicular jump jets may simply be turbine engines pointed downwards, give the Kanga. But, that's definitely not true for the jets used on BattleMechs.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
04/26/09 02:30 PM

Its newtype, why are you taking him serious? its just him rewriting the rules again.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
04/26/09 05:11 PM

Quote:

Its newtype, why are you taking him serious? its just him rewriting the rules again.

I agree, though it DOES clear up the Kanga.
Accutanest
04/27/09 11:11 AM

Post deleted by Nic Jansma
MaiShirunaiispretty
04/27/09 12:25 PM

In theory a jump jet used to make a 'Mech move can make a vehicle move too.+
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8476

Contact Admins Sarna.net