how many physical attacks per turn?

Pages: 1
Voidshape
07/30/09 01:16 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I see in Total Warfare that one can make two punching attacks per round, as long as all the actuators are present...

But can I kick in that same round?

What about weapons? If I've got two hatchets, can I attack with both? How about two hatchets AND a kicking attack?

Help?

I'm inclined to say 2 physical attacks per round is the max, in absence of official rules. But I may be missing something. Can anyone clarify this for me?
New to the game... And little obsessed.

Edited by Voidshape (07/30/09 04:30 PM)
CrayModerator
07/30/09 03:24 PM

See page 144 Total Warfare:

Multiple Physical Attacks: A ‘Mech may only make a single
type of physical attack in a single turn: charging, clubbing, death
from above, kick, punch, push or phyiscal weapon attack. Even if
a ’Mech mounts two physical weapons (identical or otherwise), it
can only make a single physical weapon attack. When making a
single punch attack, a player can punch with one or two arms (see
Punch Attacks, p. 145).

To answer your specific questions...

Quote:

see in Total Warfare that one can make two punching attacks per round, as long as all the actuators are present...

But can I kick in that same round?

No. Per the rules quoted above, you could not combine the kick with another type of attack (punching, in your example).

Quote:

What about weapons? If I've got two hatchets, can I attack with both?

No. Per the rules quoted above, you could only attack with one physical weapon (a hatchet in this case)

Quote:

How about two hatchets AND a kicking attack?

No for two reasons. You cannot combine melee attacks of different types (weapon and kick, in this case) and you cannot make two physical weapon attacks (hatchets, in this case).
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (07/30/09 03:27 PM)
Voidshape
07/30/09 03:57 PM

Thanks for your help, Cray! But I'm still a little iffy. I know that in TW it says one can make two punching attacks. Also, in your quoted text, you state:

"A ‘Mech may only make a single
type of physical attack in a single turn"

-Single TYPE of attack. Now, that would rule out mixing munches and kicks, or kicks and hatchets, or whatever. But I still don't see that it rules out two punches. The "type" is confusing. Thanks for this, though. I'll go look at p. 144 when i get home.
CrayModerator
07/30/09 06:48 PM

Quote:

-Single TYPE of attack. Now, that would rule out mixing munches and kicks, or kicks and hatchets, or whatever. But I still don't see that it rules out two punches. The "type" is confusing. Thanks for this, though. I'll go look at p. 144 when i get home.

"Type" is defined earlier on pg 144, a few paragraphs before the section I quoted, at the very opening of the Physical Attacks section.

"'Mechs can make seven different types of physical attacks: punching, clubbing, pushing, kicking, charging, death from above, or physical attacks (this last attack requires that the 'Mech mount a specific physical attack weapon, such as hatchet, sword, and so on.)"

pg145 then states that 'Mechs may punch with one or both arms, depending on several conditions.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Voidshape
07/30/09 07:13 PM

Yeah, I looked and saw all that, too. It also states that two punch attacks use two different to-hit rolls...wich implies two attacks...

So... Only one physical attack per round accept punch attacks, of which you can make two right?
Christopher_Perkins
07/30/09 07:54 PM

More like You can only make one physical attack, but punch is the only physical attack that has an "ultra" or "2x" mode
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Voidshape
07/30/09 08:21 PM

Ultra? Does that mean it's two attacks in one? This is a little confusing. I'm new to the game, people!
CrayModerator
07/30/09 08:44 PM

Quote:

So... Only one physical attack per round accept punch attacks, of which you can make two right?

That's correct. For BattleMechs, the only physical attack that you can launch more than one of is the punch.

Voidshape
07/30/09 08:58 PM

Right on. Thanks!
Bob_Richter
07/30/09 10:16 PM

No, it's two attacks with seperate to-hit rolls.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Voidshape
07/31/09 08:14 AM

So if I have a quad mech and I'm jumping and moving from an elevation 6 to an elevation 3, and if one of those legs has a hatchet, I can make two punching attacks, one kick, and a "spinning hatchet death from above deluxe" attack" (p.655 TW), right?

J/K!

Thanks for all the help, people. I can punch twice. Other than that, one physical attack. Thanks for clearing all of that up.
CrayModerator
07/31/09 08:33 AM

Quote:

So if I have a quad mech and I'm jumping and moving from an elevation 6 to an elevation 3, and if one of those legs has a hatchet, I can make two punching attacks, one kick, and a "spinning hatchet death from above deluxe" attack" (p.655 TW), right?

Heh

I need more .sig space around my official disclaimers.

Voidshape
07/31/09 08:56 AM

Quote:

Heh

WHy? You were very helpful. I'm just a smartass.
CrayModerator
07/31/09 12:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Heh

WHy? You were very helpful. I'm just a smartass.

Your comment about the jumping quad ninja-mech was almost .sig worthy.

Voidshape
07/31/09 12:25 PM

Oh! Haha. Thanks!

I heart forums.
ix
07/01/10 07:46 PM

What about Claws? Can you mount 2 and attack twice as they're using punch rules and are mechanically/flavourfully just strong punches. If you cannot then claws are surely garbage.
Tripod
07/04/10 12:32 AM

In my house, Claws follow punching rules, you can claw twice.
TBA
Zandel_Corrin
07/05/10 03:47 AM

Ditto.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Voidshape
08/03/10 12:31 PM

Yup. Claws augment punch damage.
AJC
08/09/10 05:29 PM

i still like the hilarious story of someone losing a Dire Wolf to a Firemoth doing a flying drop kick or something like that.

how do claws on the feet work (some mechs and BA's have clawed feet to enhance DFA attacks)
Voidshape
08/31/10 02:03 PM

Claws don't go on the feet- that's talons. -I don't remember the damage multiplier, but it's heavy. My 80 ton melee mech does somethign like 23 points of kick damage, and DFA damage is higher too.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 14825

Contact Admins Sarna.net