LAMs

Pages: 1
wolf_lord_30
01/24/18 09:27 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I've been playing with the Crescent Hawks a bit lately and could use some tips on how to use LAMs. I haven't played with LAMs since the first edition of Aerotech. I'm rusty. Very rusty. Even playing against the bot in megamek, I still have a hard time with the timing of converting to be effective, or whether or not I should convert at all. If it's in the middle of the battle, I might just become a sitting duck for opportunist fire. If it's in the beginning, I separate the LAM from the rest of the group too fast too far. If it's near the end, why?
So if anyone has more experience with using LAMs, I wouldn't mind some quick feedback or advice that I can use to get the hang of it.
ghostrider
01/25/18 04:06 AM

Crescent Hawks? Which game?
The two I know of, didn't have lams in them. Though it is possible a mod has brought them out.

Best I can suggest on playing them is to figure out what the needs are for the current and next turns. Reacting to the enemy may be a poor thing to do, as the conversion time may get in the way.
Since they change the strafing rules and a few other things, the fighter part of it is a bit weak, unless you can get the enemy to line up in a pass or something like it. The chance of head hits in the old tables was too good to pass up, though I am not sure if they changed that, like partial cover. The 5 hex strafe kinda bites, but having a strafing fighter kill a maps worth of units at one time hurt when done to me.

Depending on the lam, airmech mode is a worth while. The jumping range can help alot, especially if you win the initiative roll. Done right, you end up behind the enemy with a 12+ hex jump. Range may be the key to some shots.
The best thing I could say is look at some of the past combats you have, and see what a lam would have changed in them. If you start with some bombs in fighter mode, it may help. Not sure if they pulled that option out with the newer rules.
GiovanniBlasini
01/25/18 05:57 PM

Quote:
The two I know of, didn't have lams in them. Though it is possible a mod has brought them out.

Or he could be using the Spotlight On: Crescent Hawks book, since he specifically mentioned using megamek.

Quote:

Best I can suggest on playing them is to figure out what the needs are for the current and next turns. Reacting to the enemy may be a poor thing to do, as the conversion time may get in the way.
Since they change the strafing rules and a few other things, the fighter part of it is a bit weak, unless you can get the enemy to line up in a pass or something like it. The chance of head hits in the old tables was too good to pass up, though I am not sure if they changed that, like partial cover. The 5 hex strafe kinda bites, but having a strafing fighter kill a maps worth of units at one time hurt when done to me.

Sounds solid. The biggest advantage LAMs have is versatility.

Quote:

Depending on the lam, airmech mode is a worth while. The jumping range can help alot, especially if you win the initiative roll. Done right, you end up behind the enemy with a 12+ hex jump. Range may be the key to some shots.
The best thing I could say is look at some of the past combats you have, and see what a lam would have changed in them. If you start with some bombs in fighter mode, it may help. Not sure if they pulled that option out with the newer rules.

LAMs use a modified version of WiGE movement rules in AirMech mode. Playing them in that mode is similar to running a WiGE, with some VTOL/ASF flavor thrown in.

Bombs are only available to LAMs that allocate tonnage for bomb bays: they don't get bombs for free, and as I recall earlier rules prohibited bombs in the first place.

For bombing, the WSP-100 and the SHD-X2 Shadow Hawk make decent bomb trucks, and in the case of the Shadow Hawk LAM, you can convert to 'Mech mode and function as a standard trooper 'Mech afterwards (it lacks an AirMech mode, being a bimodal LAM).

Beyond that, LAMs remain highly-mobile, fast backstabbers, but turn modes for WiGE movement mean they need a lot of room to maneuver in AirMech mode.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
wolf_lord_30
01/27/18 12:47 AM

I need to read up on the rules for WiGE. I was browsing the rules for LAMs in my aerotech book, and they have changed a bit. Enough that it wasn't all that helpful to look over those old rules.
wolf_lord_30
01/30/18 02:09 AM

Quote:

CHI had a LAM you could find that was sort of hidden. I found it by accident. Unfortunately, it was unusable as the game was pretty much over.

However, I was talking about BT/megamek using the roster from Spotlight on the Crescent Hawks.
ghostrider
01/30/18 03:15 AM

Can you tell us where it is?

I know that might be impossible. If not, it is ok. Don't have anything that I can boot the game up on anyways. No floppy drives.
wolf_lord_30
01/30/18 03:32 AM

I was lucky enough to buy a copy of Battletech Power Hits from eBay that came with CHI, CHR, and MW1 and it came with an install disc to work on Win10.

It was on the most western side down a corridor that goes south and ends in a dead end. I don't know how it happened, but I left and came back and hit the dead end and it opened up to the LAM. A little vague, but that's the best I can do right now and with no screenshots. I took screenshots of the LAM and the ending to show off to my gaming group.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4119

Contact Admins Sarna.net