axes and swords

Pages: 1
Diablo
01/22/02 08:25 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
why wouldn't a 10 ton giant axe penetrate the armour of a mech? I mean it's a large axe. it's ment to pierce the armour isn't it? you can chop down a tree with a hand axe but not hit the internals of a mech with a giant one? so here's what I propose. whenever a mech gets hit with an axe of a heavy or assult mech roll once for a critical hit.

why can't you attack with two hand weapons? you have two hands? two weapons? I want to be able to smash a mech with two axes or take the head off a mech with a pair of swords. so heres what I propose. when attacking, you may use two hand weapons but with a +1 to hit modifier. also these must be against the same target and in the forward arc.

why can't you block asword or axe? I mean thats the other side of a sword isn't it? so here's what I propose. whenever an attack involving a hand weapon is done. you can attempt to block it with a sword only. a successful piloting skill roll modified by 7 must be made to stop the attack. if successful, roll 2D6. on a result of 12 the weapon breaks. roll once for both weapons.
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Bob_Richter
01/22/02 09:17 PM

NOTHING pierces 'Mech armor. Not Gauss Rifles, Not LASERs, Not Hatchets nor Swords, nor even a shaped-charge warhead.

NOTHING pierces 'Mech armor, from the greatest astronomical body to the lowliest neutrino until it has first DESTROYED the 100% ablative far-future miracle-armor.

Got it?
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
KamikazeJohnson
01/22/02 09:22 PM

Except, of course, for a hit location roll of 2 with anything
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Greyslayer
01/22/02 10:35 PM

Then there is the 'I need no stinking snake eye's' Davion Autocannon Armour Piercing ammo from FM:FS. Then there is naval autocannons but that is just getting absurd now .

Greyslayer
Korbel
01/23/02 07:22 AM

Hey don't forget tandem Charge warheads... Oh yeah it always misses the Critical components and swerved to hit the internal structure....
CrayModerator
01/23/02 07:29 AM

>why wouldn't a 10 ton giant axe penetrate the armour of a mech? I mean it's a large axe. it's ment to pierce the armour isn't it?

And the armor is meant to keep axes out.

The axe contains a finite amount kinetic energy that can be used to defeat the shear strength of the armor plate (or deform the axe's cutting edge if the armor is harder than the axe). This isn't automatically enough to penetrate mech armor.

Food for thought: the 12.5kg 120mm APFSDSDU penetrator of an M1A1/A2 Abrams delivers as much kinetic energy (18 megajoules) as a 10-ton truck moving at 134 miles per hour (60m/s). This means a 10-ton axe would probably compare closely with an AC/20 attack though, in fact, the axe is applying its damage over a larger area than the penetrators or shaped charges of the cannon shells.

Be thankful for the damage you get out of melee attacks in BT. They're overrated.

>so here's what I propose. whenever a mech gets hit with an axe of a heavy or assult mech roll once for a critical hit.

I propose that heavier armor have less of a chance for a crit, but would still be damaged by the impact. I would represent this by assigning a certain amount of damage to the axe (kick damage sounds good) and seeing if that damage penetrates the armor. If the damage does not exceed the armor value, then no crit occurs. In other words, I find the current rules to be fine.

>why can't you attack with two hand weapons?

Balance, relatively weak mech arms, etc. Did you notice mechs can only lift 10% of their mass? I can do 100% of my own mass.

>why can't you block asword or axe?

You can. Didn't you see the target number that needs to be rolled to hit the target with a sword or axe? Did you think that just represented a hit or miss? It can also include the blocks/parries/etc the target makes.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4480

Contact Admins Sarna.net