CASE and XL engines

Pages: 1
Tentakel
08/28/08 01:23 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Greetings,

okay, so I have a 'Mech with an IS XL Engine, ammunition in a side torso, and CASE. If the ammo gets hit, the CASE will prevent total destruction of the 'Mech, but the 'Mech is still out of action due to three engine hits (side torso destroyed). Correct so far?

I was always under the impression that three engine hits result in a fusion engine explosion, and the 'Mech is scrap. Am I wrong on this? I must be, because otherwise CASE would be useless for a 'Mech with IS XL Engines.

When exactly is a 'Mech destroyed but salvageable due to engine hits, and when does the engine blow, destroying the 'Mech utterly? I can't find a rule clarification.

Thanks!
Dester
08/28/08 04:19 PM

Technicly, there is no way to make a fusion engine explode in pure game terms.. When you lose 3 engine shieldings your engine is rendered destroyed so you can recover the mech by replacing the engine. So in your example, the CASE would save the mech for either engine replacement or striping it out for salvage.

If you are playing a one off combat, then the CASE has no use with an XL engine. If you are playing a campain then yes it would have a great advanate in salvage potential.

Dester
CrayModerator
08/30/08 12:06 PM

Quote:

Greetings,

okay, so I have a 'Mech with an IS XL Engine, ammunition in a side torso, and CASE. If the ammo gets hit, the CASE will prevent total destruction of the 'Mech, but the 'Mech is still out of action due to three engine hits (side torso destroyed). Correct so far?

Correct. It makes salvage easy, though, since 3 engine crits are easy to repair. Per the repair rules of the BMR, you have damage every crit on an item to make it (probably) non-salvageable. 3 out of 12 crits is easy to fix, especially since the first 3 crits on an engine usually just represent damage to "dumb" shielding material.

Quote:

I was always under the impression that three engine hits result in a fusion engine explosion, and the 'Mech is scrap. Am I wrong on this? I must be, because otherwise CASE would be useless for a 'Mech with IS XL Engines.

Fusion engine explosions are, first of all, thoroughly bogus and only covered in the rules because of the liberties some novelists have taken with fusion engine behavior (see pg30-44 of Tech Manual for an explanation). Second, engine explosions also optional, non-tournament rules. You and other players have to deliberately invoke the MaxTech or Tactical Operations engine explosion rules for them to occur. Under normal game play, they're not an issue.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Tripod
08/31/08 07:06 AM

I believe the Max Tech rules for Explosions are...

ALL internal structure in the center torso must be destroyed in ONE turn. then on a 2D6 10+ roll you get the boom. the boom's dammage = engine rating / 5 for 1 hex away, / 10 for 2 hexes away, /20? for 3 hexes, no dammage for 4+ hexes away.
TBA
Christopher_Perkins
09/02/08 10:45 PM

in maxtech, there is also the rules for the "i am kai allard liao" maneuver...

Rip the boards out, pull the eject level... and hope...
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Greyslayer
09/08/08 08:56 PM

Quote:

I believe the Max Tech rules for Explosions are...

ALL internal structure in the center torso must be destroyed in ONE turn. then on a 2D6 10+ roll you get the boom. the boom's dammage = engine rating / 5 for 1 hex away, / 10 for 2 hexes away, /20? for 3 hexes, no dammage for 4+ hexes away.

The Original Maxtech rules I remember were any turn where 2+ engine crits occur the controlling player rolls 2d6. On a natural 12 the engine explodes but far less powerful than the Tactical Handbook explosions(which was in the turn the CT went internal the entire location is destroyed roll 2d6 and on 8+ it blows up doing Engine rating divided by 5 in the adjacent hex then by 10 and then 20).
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9747

Contact Admins Sarna.net