AMS

Pages: 1
KitK
05/18/09 07:31 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
What exactly are the "new" AMS rules. I guess they are from the Tech Manual?

Thanks

KK
Prince_of_Darkness
05/18/09 08:52 PM

AMS automatically engages.

1. The attacking player applies a -4 to the die roll result when rolling on the cluster hits table (an AMS never reduces a roll on the table below 2).
2. If the missile weapon is a streak missile launcher, treat the launcher as though the controlling player rolled an 11 on the appropriate column of the cluster hits table, then apply the -4 modifier to determine how many missile struck the target.
3. If the missile weapon normally fires only a single missile result of 1-3 the missile is destroyed, on a result of 4-6 the missile strikes the target.
4. the player cannot choose for the AMS to not engage, as it is always active until it runs out of ammo or is destroyed. Each time it engages missiles, mark off 1 shot of ammo.
5. IF, in a single attack phase more than one missile weapon successfully strikes the target in the attack direction covered by the firing arc where an AMS is mounted, the defending player can choose which missile weapon to inflict the modifier against.
6. Only 1 AMS can engage 1 missile weapon in a turn, regardless of how many AMS cover the attack direction. If a unit mounts more than one AMS that covers the same attack direction, the defender chooses the order in which they activate and against which missile weapons they inflict their modifiers.

SSW says AMS generates one point of heat. I think it's right...
CrayModerator
05/18/09 10:36 PM

Quote:

Each time it engages missiles, mark off 1 shot of ammo.

That's one of the very significant improvements. Instead of marking off 2d6 ammo from 12 to 24 shots per ton, you just notch off 1 shot per volley engaged.

AMSs are also the most effective point defense systems in aerospace combat, since they allow a unit to defend its neighbors and do so quite effectively.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Prince_of_Darkness
05/18/09 10:46 PM

Well, I thought I should at least contribute something to these forums
CrayModerator
05/19/09 08:01 AM

Quote:

You gave a good, numbered summary. Most people don't take the time. I would've stopped at "-4 to rolls" and "1 shot per volley."

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Prince_of_Darkness
05/19/09 08:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You gave a good, numbered summary. Most people don't take the time. I would've stopped at "-4 to rolls" and "1 shot per volley."

Am I correct on the heat generated? Is it just 1 point?
Fang
05/19/09 12:45 PM

Heat generated by AMS is new to me. Thought the Laser AMS was the only one to generate heat.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
CrayModerator
05/19/09 01:55 PM

HMPro lists 1 heat for AMS. Total Warfare says 1 heat. BMR lists 1 heat.

Prince_of_Darkness
05/19/09 03:08 PM

Quote:

HMPro lists 1 heat for AMS. Total Warfare says 1 heat. BMR lists 1 heat.

Well then...
KitK
05/19/09 05:03 PM

Thanks very much PoD. That explains what the new MegaMek was doing to me. I think I could have shut down that missile system better with the old rules. But, now I can redesign my mech with less AMS ammo.

The new MegaMek is doing wonky things to me with infernos too. I may have to pony up for those new books one of these days.

KK
CrayModerator
05/19/09 06:30 PM

Quote:

The new MegaMek is doing wonky things to me with infernos too. I may have to pony up for those new books one of these days.

Yeah, Infernos were simplified quite a bit:

pg141 Total Warfare:

’Mechs, Aerospace Fighters, and Small Craft: For every
missile that strikes the target, increase the unit’s heat level
by 2 points during the Heat Phase of the turn in which the
infernos hit (see Outside Heat Sources, p. 159).

pg159 TW:

All such outside heat sources—meaning any heat that does
not come from a unit’s own movement and weapons fire—are
tracked somewhat differently before being added to a unit’s
own heat. These heat sources are cumulative, to a maximum of
15 heat points.

External heat applied to units that don't track heat - like vehicles - generally manifests as extra armor damage, unless a heat weapon has other specific effects. (Infernos, for example, are now treated as armor piercing attacks with a chance to crit combat vehicles.)

His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/19/09 09:33 PM

Quote:

(Infernos, for example, are now treated as armor piercing attacks with a chance to crit combat vehicles.)

Please elaborate on that
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Zandel_Corrin
05/19/09 11:44 PM

I to would like to hear about the new infernos.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Tripod
05/20/09 02:03 AM

Well well...

Infernos do not mean instant vehicle death? what a leap in the direction of logic... carefull now! don't get too realistic on us, we might not be able to handle it....

I would like to heat about AP crits on said vehicle...
TBA

Edited by Tripod (05/20/09 02:03 AM)
CrayModerator
05/20/09 08:32 AM

Quote:

Infernos do not mean instant vehicle death? what a leap in the direction of logic... carefull now! don't get too realistic on us, we might not be able to handle it....

Yes, infernos-as-instadeath was not entirely popular. The result is that Infernos are still quite dangerous - a cloud of Inferno SRMs will rack up crits rapidly, and combat vehicles are more vulnerable to those than 'Mechs.

pg142 Total Warfare:

Vehicles: Every [inferno] missile that strikes the target automatically
causes a roll on the appropriate column of the appropriate unit’s
Critical Hits Table, corresponding to the location hit (see Ground
Combat Vehicle Critical Hit Effects, p. 193), with the following
modifi ers to the dice roll result: –2 for Combat Vehicles; no
modifier for Support Vehicles (unless the Support Vehicle has
the Armor Chassis and Controls modifi cation and a BAR of 10, in
which case it is treated as a Combat Vehicle).

There are also details for Inferno attacks against and by a multitude of different unit types on pg141-142 to address lots of loopholes and questions that the BMR overlooked. However, I'm not going to copy-n-paste a whole page of text because I'm lazy.

His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/20/09 03:14 PM

Quote:

I'm not going to copy-n-paste a whole page of text because I'm lazy.

Oh, we where not expecting that at all. What we wanted was for you to type the entire page out, with out any typographical errors that might be in the book. *Big Grin*
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Zandel_Corrin
05/20/09 07:39 PM

"Alright donkey your going the right way about getting a smacked bottom!" 'Sir' Shrek

Now getting back on topic.... I'm going to be buying these books for sure now... this sounds like a massive improvement... the AMS, Infernos.... can't wait to see what else has been improved.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 11673

Contact Admins Sarna.net