Are there any advantages...

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
11/29/11 09:33 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
...of the Hypervelocity AC/5 over the Light Gauss Rifle?

Same tonnage, same heat, essentially same ammo quantity. Gausss ammo is inert, but the rifle itself is volatile, so that evens out somewhat.

The LGR is higher damage, slightly better range. The HVAC is one crit smaller. Unless that one crit space is essential, is there any point in using the Autocannon? Assuming, of course, the choice is between those two weapons only.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
11/29/11 11:17 PM

Player preference, most know all about the LGR, many have never tried the HVAC of any kind, so for me it would be about what am I trying to build or do. Upgrade with new tech or total rebuild, what do I have access to beyond these weapons or is it a one for one say swapping an older AC for one of these? Cost might be an issue as well.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
KamikazeJohnson
11/29/11 11:29 PM

My question was inspired by my attempt to do a level 3 refit of a Dragon. I wanted to stick with the same "flavour" of weapon, hence the choice between two ballistic weapons, and the LB-5X or UAC/5 are both such common upgrades, I wanted to do something different. Unfortunately, it appears that HV ACs are completely redundant, since their advantages over LB-X are extremely minor considering the tonnage cost. Unless there's a characteristinc of the weapon series beyond the bare performance stats.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
11/30/11 03:41 AM

The HV autocannon fires rounds which travel much faster than standard shells, and therefore the HVAC has a greater range. If a to-hit roll of 2 is made, the shell's propellant ignites, resulting in damage equal to an autocannon hit to the internal structure. It also produces level 1 smoke opposite the firing direction.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Hythos
01/23/12 02:05 PM

A/C's also have the normal + vs infantry, and can also use tracer rounds for follow-firing.
And, Dragons deployed by DCMS were occasionally used for city defense / anti-infantry roles.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5446

Contact Admins Sarna.net