Gnat Ultra Light Mech

Pages: 1
Karagin
05/14/10 04:03 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Going for something a little different this time around, I thought of an older design of mine that could stand some upgrading:

Code:
               BattleMech Technical Readout

Type/Model: Gnat
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3055
Config: Biped BattleMech
Rules: Level 3, Standard design

Mass: 15 tons
Chassis: Endo Steel
Power Plant: 120 GM XL Fusion
Walking Speed: 86.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 129.6 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor Type: Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
4 Sterling Lasers Medium Lasers
Manufacturer: (Unknown)
Communications System: (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System: (Unknown)

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Gnat

Equipment: Crits Mass
Int. Struct.: 26 pts Endo Steel 14 1.00
(Endo Steel Loc: 4 LA, 4 RA, 3 LT, 3 RT)
Engine: 120 XL Fusion 12 2.00
Walking MP: 8
Running MP: 12
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 10 Single 6 .00
(Heat Sink Loc: 1 LT, 1 RT, 2 LL, 2 RL)
Gyro: 4 2.00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors: 5 3.00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA+H R: Sh+UA+LA+H 16 .00
Armor Factor: 54 pts Ferro-Fibrous 14 3.00
(Armor Crit Loc: 1 HD, 4 LA, 3 RA, 3 LT, 3 RT)

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 9
Center Torso: 5 7
Center Torso (Rear): 2
L/R Side Torso: 4 6/6
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 2/2
L/R Arm: 2 4/4
L/R Leg: 3 6/6

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Crits Mass
1 Medium Laser RT 3 1 1.00
1 Medium Laser LT 3 1 1.00
2 Medium Lasers CT 6 2 2.00
TOTALS: 12 75 15.00
Crits & Tons Left: 3 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 1,899,110 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 603 (old BV = 470)
Cost per BV2: 3,149.44
Weapon Value: 279 / 279 (Ratio = .46 / .46)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 13; MRDmg = 2; LRDmg = 0
BattleForce2: MP: 8, Armor/Structure: 1/1
Damage PB/M/L: 2/2/-, Overheat: 0
Class: ML; Point Value: 6

Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Almighty
05/15/10 12:56 PM

Uhm, maybe I'm wrong but below 20 tons mech don't exist before 3075. There is only one 15 tons mech in 3075: (Free worlds league) Patron LoaderMech, a cargo handling mech. I believe they are for the Dark Ages in 31xx.
Almighty
05/16/10 04:34 PM

I checked. In the new Technical Manual (35103) p.66, mechs with 10t-100t are defined as industrial mech. These can be weaponized by militia.
CrayModerator
05/18/10 08:29 AM

Quote:

Uhm, maybe I'm wrong but below 20 tons mech don't exist before 3075. There is only one 15 tons mech in 3075: (Free worlds league) Patron LoaderMech, a cargo handling mech. I believe they are for the Dark Ages in 31xx.

10- and 15-ton BattleMechs were supported in several earlier rule sets, like BT 2nd Edition, published in 1986. By the late 1990s and MaxTech, it was clear that no such "ultra-light" 'Mechs had appeared in print, resulting in their removal from standard construction rules and being moved to "level 3" (optional) rules.

WorkMech rules are not exactly the way to imitate them. Tactical Operations pg378 provides modern rules for ultra-light BattleMechs. These use the IndustrialMech Ultra-Light Internal Structure Table (pg66 Tech Manual), but the structure follows standard BattleMech rules - it is 10% of the 'Mech's weight, not 20%, and all normal BattleMech construction options are otherwise available.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
05/23/10 08:53 AM

Quote:

10- and 15-ton BattleMechs were supported in several earlier rule sets, like BT 2nd Edition, published in 1986. By the late 1990s and MaxTech, it was clear that no such "ultra-light" 'Mechs had appeared in print, resulting in their removal from standard construction rules and being moved to "level 3" (optional) rules.

WorkMech rules are not exactly the way to imitate them. Tactical Operations pg378 provides modern rules for ultra-light BattleMechs. These use the IndustrialMech Ultra-Light Internal Structure Table (pg66 Tech Manual), but the structure follows standard BattleMech rules - it is 10% of the 'Mech's weight, not 20%, and all normal BattleMech construction options are otherwise available.

Cray you may indeed be mistaken, I have a flyer FROM FASA that has two ultra light mechs in it, they were put out around the early 90s, I think in 93. One was a Clan ultra light and the other was IS mech. Roadrunner was the name of one of them, flyers are in the States, I am in Germany, but I can get my wife to look in my stuff and confirm the names.
Karagin

Karagin
05/23/10 08:55 AM

SO you say a mech weighing 10 to 100 tons is an industrial mech, really? So all of the Battlemechs are no longer combat machines but industrial mechs...

Also I am not using the new rules for ultra light mechs.
Karagin

Karagin
05/23/10 08:57 AM

They have been around, different books have mentioned them, they have shown up in flyers FASA put out in the early 90s and if you would look beyond the current timeline and back the history of the game you will see that older rule sets (official rule sets back to almost the begin of the game) have allowed mechs under 20 tons. And also note that a lot of folks don't play by date or time period, they play to have fun and use what ever they want.
Karagin

CrayModerator
05/24/10 08:36 PM

Quote:

Cray you may indeed be mistaken, I have a flyer FROM FASA that has two ultra light mechs in it, they were put out around the early 90s, I think in 93. One was a Clan ultra light and the other was IS mech. Roadrunner was the name of one of them, flyers are in the States, I am in Germany, but I can get my wife to look in my stuff and confirm the names.

You're correct. Literally speaking, those were ultra-light 'Mechs "in print," contrary to my statement.

I should've said, "printed in a canon publication." There were no canon ultralight BattleMechs by the time of FASA's MaxTech and BMR, hence their withdrawal from L1/L2 construction rules.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
05/24/10 09:03 PM

Thank you and noting here that the design is a L3 as per those rules.
Karagin

CrayModerator
05/25/10 06:27 PM

Quote:

Thank you and noting here that the design is a L3 as per those rules.

Not a problem. Just keep an eye on my .sig - Herb likes to threaten to call me a liar in public at the drop of a hat.

wolfcannon
09/01/10 03:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You're correct. Literally speaking, those were ultra-light 'Mechs "in print," contrary to my statement.

I should've said, "printed in a canon publication." There were no canon ultralight BattleMechs by the time of FASA's MaxTech and BMR, hence their withdrawal from L1/L2 construction rules.

RD-1R Roadrunner
source: 1993 Update Flyer
Chassis: Endo Steel
Power Plant: 225 XL
Cruising Speed: 162.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 248.4 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
2 ER Medium Lasers
Manufacturer(s):
Clan Jade Falcon
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
1993 Update Flyer

Overview
The RD-1R and the TZ-1 have only been seen by ROM operatives working behind Clan lines in the Jade Falcon Occupation Zone. The RD-1R seems to be a scaled down Mad Cat, outfitted with the legs of the faster Dragonfly. The TZ-1 is apparently based on their Baboon design, although it is heavier and faster than the Baboon, probably due to its "chicken leg" design.

Capabilities
Both the Roadrunner and the Devil are the fastest mechs ever seen, making them difficult targets to hit. The Roadrunner's speed and ER Medium Lasers give it the capability to move in at blinding speed, deliver a devastating hit, and high-tail it beyond the range of most waeponry before an opponent can strike back. However, the Roadrunner is lightly armored, and with enough lucky shots an opponent could probably take one out.

The Devil is another story. Well-armored for a light mech, the Devil's speed and punch make it a vicious opponent on the battlefield. Lots of lucky shots and a good deal of skill will be necessary to put on eof these out of commission, because its Extended Range PPC will prevent most mechs from even getting close.

Deployment
It is not clear why the Jade Falcons are producing these lighter, faster mechs. Under ths Clans' unwritten rules of engagement, Clan warriors square off against a single opponent until one of the two is defeated. But their tremendous speed makes both these machines, particularly the lightly armored Roadrunner, ideally suited for swarming tactics. Both mechs also seem designed for use against Mech scout lances.

[Editor's Notes: Sheet lists both ERMLs in the RA. On the sheet, Armor and Structure columns are reversed. 1/2 ton overweight; ignores 1/4 ton rounding rule.]

Type: RD-1R Roadrunner
Technology Base: Clan Custom
Tonnage: 15
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: ES 1.0
Engine: 225 XL 5.0
Walking MP: 15
Running MP: 23
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 10 [20] 0.0
Gyro: 3.0
Cockpit: 3.0
Armor Factor: 29 FF 1.5
Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 3
Center Torso: 5 3
Center Torso (Rear): 3
R/L Torso: 4 2
R/L Torso (Rear): 2
R/L Arm: 2 3
R/L Leg: 3 3

BV : 623 Cost : 2746850

Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Heat Mass
ER Medium Laser RA 1 5 1.0
ER Medium Laser LA 1 5 1.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTUATORS: RA LA
HEAT SINKS: CT1
ENDO STEEL: RT7
FERRO FIBROUS: LT7

------------------------------------
this is from a Official Battletech FASA document, How can it not be canon????????
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Bravo Trinary
Alpha Star
Star Captain James Sword
Karagin
09/08/10 01:47 PM

They will rule it non-canon because they want to ignore it and thus have done so.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9280

Contact Admins Sarna.net