Moyamer Implants

Pages: 1
Diablo
12/17/03 10:31 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I've found that putting anything useful onto a mech using the hand-held weapons rules is something reserved to assault class mechs 80-100 tons. so, I figured, why not increase the carrying capacity of a mech? doing this would just require some more moyamers and some structural enhancement.

a moyamer enhancement weights 3 tons and takes up 2 crits in the specific limb you wish to enhance. (1 arm/1 leg at a time) the enhancements are as follows....

arm: increase the lifting capacity of that mech by 1 ton per arm. and increase the damage of a punch/hatchet/sword/etc. attack by 2.

leg: increase the running MP by 1 and increase the damage done by kicking attacks by 2.

(as a note, yay, portable guass rifle! )
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
CrayModerator
12/17/03 03:20 PM

Nrgh...can't resist...spelling...correction: it's myomer.

Sorry. Ahem.

Anyway, 3 tons is a bit high for a 1-ton lifting capacity. If you think about it, a 5-ton internal structure (endosteel bones, myomers, and all) allows 105 tons to be carried: the 95 tons of the rest of a 100-ton mech beyond the basic frame's tonnage, plus 10 tons of additional lifting capacity.

Maybe get an extra ton of lifting capacity for 0.5 tons of myomers per limb, and use an extra crit for every 1 or 2 tons of myomers...but that opens the door to a lot of melee damage for low tonnage, right? So how about saying these are, oh, slow twitch myomer bundles optimized for lifting rather than swift bashing, and you only get an extra point of damage per crit of myomers?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Diablo
12/17/03 05:54 PM

I see ur point... so how about .5 tons and 1 crit per ton gives an extra ton of lifting capacity. every 2 tons of extra moyomers gives another point of damage. legs get another MP every ton (0.5 LL + 0.5 RL) and another damage every 2 tons.

CrayModerator
12/18/03 06:43 AM

Works for me. Sounds good.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
tgsofgc
12/18/03 12:27 PM

questions:
1. Do critical hits destroy the system, or are they re rolled like TSM/ Endo/ etc.
2. Have you thought about the cost of this at all?
3. Is there something similar I can mount in my legs for kicks, and or running, maybe even allowing for a new mechanical jump thingee?

Other wise nice, I have long thought the lifting capacities are somewhat screwy. Namely you can dump tons of guns in a mechs internal structure and a big hatchet in one hand, though they can only lift such large clubs with both hands.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Vicen_Korel
12/18/03 08:22 PM

I like the idea of the enhancements, but i would base them on weight class, kind of how the jump jets, masc, and such are. If you do it this way you can adjust it all per class so that you don't get an uper lifting light mech, and the assault mechs are suddenly insanely powerful. something else to think about is what installing this in the legs could do for the mechs speed... you could design a system that takes all the crits in the legs and weighs say, 5% of the mechs tonnage and will let the mech be able to walk a quarter again what it use to be able to. for example, a 100 ton mech would lose 5 tons, and have a max possible speed of 5. if in the arms it can lift half again what it was originally able to.
"Nothing sends your love like an ER PPC"
--Vicen Korel
Diablo
12/18/03 08:38 PM

interesting... but wouldn't the strength of the enhancement stay the same regardless of the tonnage of the mech? also, the movemnt bonus provided by the enhancements is only +1 running MP and that does fill in the 4 cris slots in the mechs legs. (+2 for quads). I kept the tonnage base to prevent 100 tonners from becoming too strong. and the little mechs get a chance to do some damage. I designed these with the intentions of hand held weapons. namly a guass rifle (14 tons, 12 tons rifle, 1 ammo, 1 HS). physical combat I never thought about till now. but I do see the point of the extra arm damage so, I'm going to re-remodify the damage to +1 punch damage to a max of 1.5X normal.

tgsofgc
12/18/03 08:48 PM

Great way to handle the extra movement, now theres a reason for quads eh? Anyways this question still pesters me...
Quote:

1. Do critical hits destroy the system, or are they re rolled like TSM/ Endo/ etc.

I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Vicen_Korel
12/18/03 08:57 PM

*shrugs* up the tonnage for the legs then to 10% and increase the speed to 1.5x the original max.gives your 100 ton a max walk of 6 with a run of 9. prolly be a good idea to go with a light engine of some type... I wouldn't allow MASC to be used with it though. and reroll on the table like with ES and FF, after all in the legs or arms a reroll would prolly be worse for the mech anyways giving a bit of a draw back for the system.
"Nothing sends your love like an ER PPC"
--Vicen Korel
Silenced_Sonix
12/20/03 10:53 AM

Not sure if this is the same thing but UtilityMechs have Lifthoists, right? Checking the rules from MaxTech, it says that a unit equipped with a lifthoist can lift half its weight in tons. That way, a 100t 'mech would be able to pick up 50 tons of cargo/handhelds/stuff. Wouldn't that solve your problem? Like having purpose-designed BattleMechs on the frontlines with built-in weaponry, and a line of UtilityMechs following with several tons of carried ordnance (LRM/Guass/Arrow), as well as their normal weaponry.

Also, back to the lifthoist: is it like a small crane built into the mech, or is it a special assembly for the 'mech's arm? Also, if you have a 100-tonner with a lifthoist, would it allow you to pick up 'mechs and vehicles of 50 tons and lighter?
Evolve or Die
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7388

Contact Admins Sarna.net