MCK-8R Mackie

Pages: 1
CrayModerator
03/22/04 04:02 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
HISTORY

The Mackie was the first BattleMech to be mass-produced on Terra, in no less than six factories. The Mackie was produced until the start of the Amaris Civil War on Terra, a production run of over 300 years. It should be of no surprise that the last models of Mackie were substantially different from the original production model, which had been rendered obsolete by six centuries of technological progress.

The MCK-8R was one of the last production models and served in many of the Terran Hegemony's militias and (during the Reunification War) some mech-starved SLDF regiments. It should also be of no surprise that the MCK-8R was almost exterminated by the Amaris Civil War and first two Succession Wars. Only the discovery of a battalion of MCK-8R Mackies during the 3066 excavation of a Castle Brian (nuked by Amaris) on Dieron brought this model of Mackie back from extinction. To the surprise of the DCMS, the MCK-8R is not totally obsolete. Mechwarriors are currently being trained for the thirty Mackies that proved salvageable, with the intention the battalion will be added to a Sword of Light unit when ready.

CAPABILITIES

The MCK-8R's significant differences from the MCK-6S are all "under the hood." Actuators and myomers show three centuries of improvement in design and are compatible with modern manufacturing techniques. The original, prototype fusion engine was replaced with the popular and common 300 Vlar shared by common Star League mechs like the Atlas, Marauder, and Black Knight. The gyroscope was likewise replaced with a more modern, 3-ton design. The cockpit was fractionally lighter due to materials improvements, but the MCK-8R retained one of the best sensor suites ever fielded on a battlemech.

The original load out of a PPC and two medium lasers was retained, though the specific models were now SLDF-era weapons, the Donal PPC (shared with the Warhammer) and Martell Medium Lasers. The most striking change in weaponry was the removal of the MCK-6S's AC/10 arm in favor of a pair of LRM 20s in a large drum-like arm. The ammunition for the LRM 20s was stored in a modern, armored magazine with rear blow-away pannels. The armor had been completely updated as well.

With the re-engining, the MCK-8R's radiator system had been updated and improved, though it did not use the latest double strength heat sinks. DCMS engineers were surprised by this, because the boxy body of the MCK-8R was so roomy (due to general shrinking of component size, especially the engine and gyro) that DHS would've been easy to install and free that much more payload tonnage.

DEPLOYMENT
The MCK-8R Mackie is currently being used only in training exercises by the DCMS, but it should prove to be an effective if lackluster assault-class fire support mech. Its record in the Amaris Civil War and Succession Wars is unknown due to the loss and destruction of records. It is suspected most Terran Hegemony militia Mackies were destroyed quickly when Amaris seized power.

MCK-8R MACKIE
100 tons
10 tons internal structure
19 tons 300 Vlar
....Walking: 3
....Running: 5
....Jumping: 0
10 tons 20 SHS
3 tons gyroscope
3 tons cockpit*
19 tons armor
....Head: 3 9
....CT: 31 50/11
....RT/LT: 21 32/10
....RA/LA: 17 33
....RL/LL: 21 42
7 tons PPC (LA)
2 tons 2x ML (CT)
1.5 tons Beagle Active Probe (RT)*
20 tons 2x LRM 20 (RA)
4 tons LRM ammo (RT)
.5 tons CASE (RT)
No hand or lower arm actuators
Heat Sinks: 4 RT/LT
*Work with me an pretend the BAP and Cockpit are considered part of the same 4.5-ton system.

VARIANTS
The engineers of Luthien Armorworks have been given 6 of the salvaged MCK-8Rs and the wreckage of the other six recovered MCK-8Rs to assess for upgrading. The initial recommendation has been "something with 12 DHS," which would free up considerable amounts of room and tonnage in the torso for additional weaponry. What would be done with the freed eight tons is a topic of ongoing debate, but usually involves either more LRM launchers, a second PPC, or a C3 Master.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
SSFSX17
03/23/04 03:46 AM

I love how you write 'mechs to be interesting parts of the story, and not just to be cool or deadly. The bit with purposely holding back from DHS was incredible, and I commend you for it.
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
CrayModerator
03/23/04 06:18 AM

Quote:

I love how you write 'mechs to be interesting parts of the story, and not just to be cool or deadly. The bit with purposely holding back from DHS was incredible, and I commend you for it.

Thanks. I just figured that since a lot of Star League-era mechs skipped DHS (inexplicably), then a second-line militia unit would also do so.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
tgsofgc
03/24/04 02:12 AM

The explanation was fair enough and the back story concerning the DCMS was nice. Still I am not to keen on the LRM launchers, I've always viewed the big gun as being central to a Mackie being a mackie (well that and the suck level). Still it fits cannon well enough, and doesn't evolve too far beyond its roots to not be brushed aside (afterall TRO: 3050 exists doesn't it ).
GJ!
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4437

Contact Admins Sarna.net