Make the Piranha a Honarable fighter

Pages: 1
scheinlen
05/31/12 04:43 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Piranha was developed by Clan Diamond Shark, yet to me is not a honorable fighter. What could be done to make it so. Im looking for the best mech to mech fighter design for this mech.
It is not my job to judge my Enemies, that is there God's job. It is only my duty to arrange the meeting!
CrayModerator
05/31/12 07:02 PM

Well, there's two approaches to making the Piranha more honorable.

First, if you retain your current notion of honor, then you can make the Piranha more honorable by giving it to an Inner Sphere faction and restricting its use against infantry. And maybe give it different guns, something fitting the new Inner Sphere faction.

Second, you can change your concept of honor to match the Clan version of "honor." As I said elsewhere: Clan honor says Clan civilians OBEY. It is perfectly honorable for Clan warriors to sterilize or exterminate entire civilian populations if those civilians were restless. Clan Wolverine's civilians were exterminated, preserving the honor of the other Clans. Clan Jade Falcon thoroughly purged its own cantankerous civilians in the 2800s, re-establishing its honor. Clan Smoke Jaguar killed millions of rebellious civilians with orbital bombardment during the Invasion in a perfectly honorable fashion. Clan Ghost Bear was willing to kill tens of billions of rebellious civilians during the Invasion, and it would've been a perfectly honorable gesture since the ex-Rasalhaguian civilians were rebelling against their Clan masters.

Slaughtering civilians, depending on the circumstances, is quite acceptable within the scope of Clan honor, which doesn't match the conventional, real world Western concept of honor.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
NeverSayNever
05/31/12 07:32 PM

Quote:

Piranha was developed by Clan Diamond Shark, yet to me is not a honorable fighter. What could be done to make it so. Im looking for the best mech to mech fighter design for this mech.

AFAIK and IIRC the Piranha has been designed to deal with infantry, lots of infantry, probably that's why the Piranha mounts a whole array of Machine Guns (= anti infantry weapons).

Would you feel better / more honorable with a Piranha design mounting a whole array of, for example, clantech - small and / or medium - ER lasers, instead? - On the other hand you might end up with yet another second line clan mech with no special / unique role to fill ...

Just some food for thought ...

Have a nice day / night.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/31/12 08:43 PM

You could always swop out the machine guns for small pulse lasers. The disadvantage of that is you cant use the new rules for MGs of firing *I think 6 shots each turn each MG.*
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
05/31/12 09:56 PM

Flamers...lots of flamers...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
scheinlen
05/31/12 10:27 PM

OK, I stand corrected on the Honor part, but I dislike the MGs with a passion. I understand the role it plays in a second line unit. BUT there has to be a better design for it and still fill the anti-troop role.
It is not my job to judge my Enemies, that is there God's job. It is only my duty to arrange the meeting!
CYBRN4CR
05/31/12 11:34 PM

Follow Karagin's idea. That'll do the trick. But remember, some mechs are made to put underused and overstocked weapons and equipment to some sort of use. The Piranha is just such a mech for the Diamond Sharks. All those leftover weapons from Smoke Jaguar were funneled into this specialized mech, and the mech probably inspired them to make MG arrays in the first place, which they again tested on the mech. If anything, I would make more variants to account for all the other combos of equipment that haven't been used as much simply to explain their existence.
scheinlen
06/01/12 12:00 AM

True, and I understand this...but I stilll dislike the MGs with a passionon a mech, would it work better to send the MGs to a solome infantry squad and just put 8 SPL on it and a few DHS ? Or what wou;ld somebody else think of something that would work better?
CYBRN4CR
06/01/12 12:47 AM

Again, try Karagin's idea, switching the MGs for Flamers. Same range, NASTY damage against infantry (each Flamer deals 3-18 damage against infantry!), great for rushing up and toasting other mechs and vehicles, and in groups (which I'm sure your WIE forces wouldn't mind considering their Pack Hunter operates under the same principle) they can force shutdowns easily.

But Medium, Small and Micro lasers (ER, Heavy, or Pulse) all will work too. You can even have an AP Gauss variant if you like those.
CrayModerator
06/01/12 10:11 AM

Quote:

OK, I stand corrected on the Honor part, but I dislike the MGs with a passion. I understand the role it plays in a second line unit. BUT there has to be a better design for it and still fill the anti-troop role.

When considering the MG, do you dislike it for its anti-infantry role, or because it seems ineffective?

Under Total Warfare, each MG does 2d6 damage to standard infantry. If the infantry is caught in open terrain, the damage is doubled. The Piranha can turn multiple platoons of infantry to chum in one turn.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
scheinlen
06/01/12 11:31 AM

Cray, thanks for the info. it does seem effective for its role but if I had to run one in a game with my forces. I would have to team it up with a firestarter or such and be held back from main mech to mech fighting.. using it wisly is the problem as is keeping it alive to be useful when it is needed...l
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6751

Contact Admins Sarna.net