Three Biggest Events in BT history

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Karagin
07/11/02 10:01 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay to you, what marks the three biggest events in the BT history?

My three are:

The Founding of the Terran Hegmongy
SLDF Exodus
Fed-Com Civil War

To me each of these shows a turning point in the balance of power in the Inner Sphere and Periphery.

Look forward to see what you come up with.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
MadWolf
07/11/02 10:02 PM

I somehow think that the Clan Invasion fits in there somehow.... It Changed eveeeeeeerything after the fourth sucession war
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Nightward
07/11/02 10:34 PM

Hmmm.

In terms of changing the universe?

Introduction of the Mackie.

Assassination of Lord Cameron at the hands of Stefan Amaris and the subsequent Fall of the Star League.

Return of the Clans.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Karagin
07/12/02 12:39 AM

What ever you want it to be...it's not limited to universe changing events...
Karagin

Acolyte
07/12/02 02:04 AM

Myndo Waterly's accention to Primus of ComStar.

Maximillion Liao's trying to substitute a double for Hanse. The fourth seccession war would have hit Kurita if not for that.

The finding of the Gray Death Memory Core.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
BroCaptMaximus
08/23/02 09:10 AM

I would go with the formation of the Federated Commonwealth, the Return of the Clans, and Operation Bulldog/Operation Serpent.
CrayModerator
08/24/02 10:15 AM

1) Hitler not catching a bullet in the trenches of WWI
2) Development of the nuclear bomb by US and USSR
3) Whatever resulted in the deviation of BT's history from our history (changes must begin in the 70s or 80s...the Soviet Union was around until the 2010s and there seemed to be no European Union to settle the Second Soviet Civil War...so something after WWII, but before the 1980s)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
MacLeod
08/24/02 06:21 PM

That's rather cynical.
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
MacLeod
08/24/02 06:23 PM

1. Creation of the BattleMech
2. Rise of the Usurper
3. Operation Serpent/Bulldog

CrayModerator
08/24/02 06:53 PM

Cynical? More like jumping to the head of the line. Would BT exist as we know it without Hitler doing his little thing in Europe? Would BT exist as we know it without the on-time development of nukes?

No and no. Therefore, those are some pretty important events in BT history.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
MacLeod
08/24/02 07:06 PM

Good point.

NathanKell
08/24/02 08:55 PM

Then again you could argue that "BattleTech history" by definition excludes the non-fictional history (leaving you with solely point #3).
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
CrayModerator
08/24/02 08:59 PM

Fair enough. Then I'd just have to pick stuff between Event #3 and, say, 2100 that was quite noteworthy.

NathanKell
08/24/02 09:04 PM

Deimos Project hands down, I'd say, and the invention of practical fusion.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
12/04/05 02:43 AM

Seeing how we have some new blood around here let's bring this back for their input...
Karagin

LordChaos
12/05/05 09:00 PM

Marrage of Hanse and Melisa (I think those are the right names).

Clan Invasion

no 3rd event picked as of yet
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
NileIngrams
12/06/05 02:23 AM

Dang.... only 3? There are so many that are critical.....

1/ Kearny and Fuchida's Theories on Interstellar Travel. (Without their work, there would be no Innersphere to fight over!)
2/ Creation of the Mackie. (The most efficient space droppable weapons platform to date, which allows for less costly planetary invasions. WIthout it, we'd be just playing TankTech!)
3/ The death of Simon Cameron, and the appointment of Kerensky as Regent of the Star League while Simon's Heir, Richard Cameron is in minority. (So much of the current Battletech history stems from the death of one man, and the appointment of another : the Usurpation, Operation Liberation, the Exodus, the Succession Wars and the return of Kerensky's Clans.)
NileIngrams NI! - The Killer of Threads!
In the time before the return of the heirs of Kerensky,
when the Successor Lords had tired of bathing worlds in Nuclear Madness,
there was an age of High Adventure!
Oni_Ryo
01/21/06 04:23 AM

I'm not big onto the 'fluff' info about the BT universe but i'll give it a shot... Forgive me if i'm a little rough on my description of events.. ^^;

1) The Invention of Fusion technology which made it possible to create the weapon systems and more advanced mining tools which mechs were originally designed for.
2) The breakup of the star league/succession wars which were a direct result which in turn created the major houses/merc units/other groups as we know them today
3) The Clan Invation which changed EVERYTHING from that moment on as far as the balance of power and dynamics of technology in the entire IS.

Although following Cray's lead and using real history.... then these would be it:

1) Evolution of humans into humans (or creation if you dont believe in evolution)
2) Discovery of fire
3) Invention of Metalworking
Fang
05/12/06 05:00 PM

I always thought the introduction of Robotech was pretty important.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Karagin
05/13/06 01:40 AM

In Battletech?
Karagin

Fang
05/14/06 02:23 AM

Well, if it hadn't been for the folks at FASA using the Robotech designs as the basis for the Battlemechs, there would be no Battletech as we know it
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Karagin
05/14/06 02:34 AM

Uhmmm NOT all of the pictures and art came from Robotech, most of it came from Sun of the Fang Dougram.

Robotech isn't even a show really, it's three different series plugged together by Harmony Gold.

Macross and it's spin offs are better then the Americanized show called Robotech.

So really the two are different, just as Battletech is different then Robotech.
Karagin

sdog
05/14/06 12:28 PM

the Macross mechas still rock.

a friend of mine just ordered a Valkyrie (BT stinger) from the US. he spent like 80 euro.
but that bugger really can be converted to the jet and the gerwalk mode.

and the three Destroid designs + the pod are by far the best in BT. (Spartan/Archer Tomahawk/Warhammer Defender/Rifleman + Glaug/Marauder)

however Dougram was aired one year earlier. (i think Blockhead is Wolverine in BT, and Roundfacer a Griffen. by far the best 3025 mechs)

btw, are there still CBT size mechs with the Dougram/Macross design available in europe? (i think the new ones really suck)
wrathbow
05/15/06 05:48 AM

Everyone has such interesting points... makes it hard to be origional.

I think these fit (yes, they've been said)

1) KF Jump Drive
2) Fusion Power
3) BattleMechs (decendents of the Mackie)

Although many designs were "borrowed" or inspired by shows, the idea of big fighting robots would have prevailed without Robotech or other such. How real history affects the fictional storyline is realy interesting, though - fire? nukes? I never would have considered those! Very clever people!
Was that over the top? I can never tell...
SSFSX17
05/22/06 05:26 AM

1. Level 2 technology.

2. Most of the classic designs became Unseen.

3. The upcoming reorganization of the books.
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
VincentValentine
05/23/06 12:55 PM

I think that creation of the Battlemech has to be one of the greatest events in BT History lol..
www.facebook.com/ahanshew21<---- Facebook Me. PROMO - "Dead cats are us"
CrayModerator
05/26/06 08:26 AM

Quote:

I always thought the introduction of Robotech was pretty important.

That didn't happen in the BT universe or, if it did, the Robotech show took about 4 centuries to culminate in the Mackie.

sdog
05/26/06 09:02 AM

it didn't happen in the history in the BT universe, but it happened in the BT history.

btw, nobody mentioned the start of sarna.net as one of the most important events in the games history. :-P

I realised soon that the fun part of playing a military game is that we have lots of lifes and in the end knowone dies, ...

- Skaven, ArmA modding community
Tobias_Moon
06/03/06 02:31 PM

hmmmmm
I'd have to say-
1- Invention of the battlemech (the mackie, of course)
2- Return of the Clans to the Inner Sphere
3- Death of the Illkhan on the bridge of the (grr..gotta remeber..Dire Wolf I think) by Tyra Miraborg, which halted the invasion for a long enough period of time for the Inner Sphere to get it's act together in several ways, which lead to Tukkayid and stopping the clans.
"Something moves within the night that is not good and is not right" (book of counted sorrows, Dean Koontz)
{Tobias Moon is AKA Michael Scirocco for some of you older timers}
OgreMagi
06/16/06 01:02 AM

well it depends upon your perspective....

In the real world bt history is a bit convoluted

1. level 2 and the clans, this was arround the time that they needed a boost in sales and developed the clans. On paper the clans were extreamly powerful wepons ranges an avrage of 20 to 30% greater damage values 10% to 20% greater and wepons weight 30% to 40% less mech per mech they were unstoppable... until you calculated thier battle value and add in the clans rules of combat ( bid down single combat, ect)

2. Computergames and lawsuits.... When mechwarrior 2 come out it was a huge boost to battletech and the start fo the end of fasa while lawsuits were ongoing they did reach a renewed furvor with microsofts selling a game using unseen images which reflected back on fasa. I remember being at orgins when fasa folded there was a lot of talk about no more Bt from more than one vetran player. Me being new I pointed out that there while fasa was gone there were a lot of BT games being played and probablly more next year so It would survive...

3. Click tech and total war... I was at gencon when clicky tech started it was buggy and the wizkids guys were more than a little rude towards the old school BT players who didnt like the feel of the game. In my own opinion and personal experience they alienated quite a few BT players with thier statment that Dark age ( DORKAGE) was the new BT and that was what we would be playing if we wanted to play BT..... Well after a rules change every year sence it inception, retiring of older pieces, addition of player skillls and ignoring a lot of the player base of BT they are resorting to flash tactics ( the TRI Legged mech) in order to keep sales up.... But then again BT is alive and well with several new core books, a new timeline (the Jihad) and a revamp of the old rules with the total war it seems that BT is moving onward. I wont say forward as I have some doubts about Total War but I am willing to see what they have to offer and given thier performance so far I am postive about the future of BT.. Well its benn what over 20 years 30 years by some accounting never the less it been a long time for a game with paper and dice to survive.....
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 19204

Contact Admins Sarna.net