Something that may look a bit familiar...

Pages: 1
Karagin
04/01/12 02:17 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Kickstarter-Mech-Robot-Warfare-Battle,news-14445.html
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
04/01/12 04:50 PM

That is awesome. I figured through most of the 80s and 90s I'd never see walking 2-legged robots in my time, as slow as development was.

But here they are, kit-built and piloted by netbooks and virtual reality visors.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
KitK
04/02/12 02:41 PM

And firing wads of plastic at each other, too.

Oh, and I noticed primitive "mechs" were predominantly quads.

KK
Hythos
04/03/12 01:26 PM

Quote:

That is awesome. I figured through most of the 80s and 90s I'd never see walking 2-legged robots in my time, as slow as development was.

But here they are, kit-built and piloted by netbooks and virtual reality visors.

http://mech-warfare.com/

I wrote a paper on the economics of 'disposable income' back in '93, and outlined bipedal robotics' combat-competition... Nice to see that someone's less lazy about it than I am! Hahah

Just because you don't see news releases from R&D companies working on a project like you do about Boston Dynamics' "look at the barely functional yet absolutely impractical designs we've made", doesn't mean they're not out there.
25 years for a platform is worth the wait - vs Osimo that's all hype, or RC-cars converted into 12" tall bipeds without motion-control. True, visubility is rewarded with funding (again, reference Boston Dynamics), though just stick around a lil bit longer. The real stuff is almost here .
KamikazeJohnson
04/17/12 06:01 PM

Researchers have had walking bipedal robots for years...the problem has been designing one that could walk across something other than a flat floor. We meat machines have a sensory feedback system that is difficult to replicate.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
04/17/12 06:59 PM

Quote:

We meat machines have a sensory feedback system that is difficult to replicate.

Really!?!

My parents had no problem with doing just that. They even did it a couple of times. =P
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6192

Contact Admins Sarna.net