further jump jet questions, or ponderings

Pages: 1
ghostrider
12/31/16 01:13 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
To avoid jacking the simple question thread, I am moving this discussion here.

The idea of jets not firing consistently, make me wonder if that was true, then why can't 3 jets move further then 90 meters?
Also, why are they 1 heat point per hex moved?
It also lead to the question of using the heavier jets to move a light unit further with using less heat.
If the size or weight of the jet determines how far a heavier unit moves, wouldn't the same one push a lighter one further?
IE. putting a 2 ton jet on a light mech. Would it push a 20 ton mech 3 hexes for 1 heat?
More power to move more weight sort of idea.

As said in the other thread, the idea of the 10 second round makes it unlikely the jets don't fire consistently thru most of the flight.

3 jets are supposed to only push a mech 3 levels high in their jump. The short jump should be done quicker then a long one.
Though this does question on if the jump is in an arc or can be just forward, closer to the ground.

Edited by ghostrider (12/31/16 01:13 PM)
MJB
12/31/16 10:01 PM

Good point. Time for a complete redesign of all rules?
ghostrider
01/01/17 12:52 AM

I doubt they would even consider this, as there are other things the need work more then this.
One of them I brought up was the .5 ton fusion engine that comes with a free 10 heat sinks. Only 1 can hide in the engine. The other 9 need to be spread outside the engine, yet require no weight.

Now if the think an optional rule, or even in the future allow it, then there is a different story. Well the use of the heaving jets moving more with less heat.

The skimming along the ground is what happens in the mech warrior games, so that is suspect, even though they are supposed to be canon, though that is suspect as well.
Prime example is firing normal cannons and wasting 1 ton of ammo by the time the energy weapons recharge.
CrayModerator
01/01/17 03:01 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

To avoid jacking the simple question thread, I am moving this discussion here.

The idea of jets not firing consistently, make me wonder if that was true, then why can't 3 jets move further then 90 meters?

Because jump jets only have a limited burn time per turn before burning out. See Tech Manual's description of jump jets in its Mech Tech Primer. The maximum 3 jets can achieve is 90 meters; if they could fire longer and throw the 'Mech further, they'd be heavier (jumping 4, 5, etc.)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
01/01/17 10:02 PM

So you could mount 3 jets weighing 2 tons each on a wasp or stinger, and have it move their normal 6 range with less heat?

This is figuring the .5 tons, 1 ton, then 2 ton jets have different power outputs.
I just realized I should have clarified this earlier.

It also leads to the question of reset time for the jets. It would have to be fast, as there is no lag time for mechs to jump again.
And I take it the idea of jets being nothing more then passing air over the hot engine does not apply any more to jets. The small amount of mercury for non atmospheres would be void as well.
The reset would have to be less then 10 seconds, as the finally use of one jump and the start of another is normally under that mark.
I would guess that is where the improved jets gets their basis from.

The idea of using more power during the lift off, and not using them for a softer landing, or even not needing it such as jumping onto a higher structure, looks like it should be possible then.
Such as jumping up 3 levels with the jets, possibly pushing to get a 4 level with the 3 jet example.

Which also makes me wonder if you can jump a single hex, but go up to say a ledge or some other structure like that without having to move forward the number of hexes, ie a spider jumping up 4 levels to reach the top of a cliff, but only moving forward 1 hex. The heat would be 4 or 3, as you are only moving one hex different from your starting position?
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4915

Contact Admins Sarna.net