Weapon to hit modifiers

Pages: 1
wolf_lord_30
05/09/18 10:44 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I understand that we've all been over weapon ranges many, many times.
What I'm getting at here, though, is the to hit numbers. I understand that velocity, lock ons, targeting, and other similar factors could affect some things. But should there be a straight to hit modifier based on distance versus range brackets? For example 1-8 is short, 9-16 is medium, 17-24 is long. A small laser has a range of 3, so it is still in the short range bracket, but it can only shoot up to 3. A medium laser has a max range of 9, so it only gets a modifier for medium range, when the target is that far out. And so on. Would this be beneficial to BT, or just needless rule changing?
Retry
05/09/18 11:01 AM

Dunno. I wasn't a fan of Aerotech's standardized range brackets, so I probably would not be a fan of such a system myself.
ghostrider
05/09/18 01:51 PM

I believe that became the basis for battlespace and beyond. The Seydith light fighter for the LC has a large laser in it, but I believe it was 1/1/0/0 for range in that system. Meaning it did not pass range 2, which is normally medium range.

But this is only a guess as I don't own battle space. It was observations from some of the books that listed those ranges.
And I thought the regular to hits for the original aerotech was 6/8/10 with no extreme ranges.
Not sure if this helps answer this or not.
AmaroqStarwind
05/09/18 02:01 PM

Standardized Range Brackets sounds like a house rule that I would use quite often (MechCommander 2 used it, actually), but for Snub-Nose PPCs and ELRMs it would be considered a slight nerf.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
wolf_lord_30
05/09/18 02:23 PM

It's been so long since I played aerotech, besides using aeros in megamek, I forgot they used standardized range brackets. I don't remember if it was a good idea. I just don't like that a small laser or machine gun has a harder time hitting a target at 3 hexes away when the medium laser or ac/10 blasts away at short range.
I get having max ranges (even if they are too short, whatever), but if I can sit and hit you with one weapon, no problem, it doesn't completely add up that I can't hit the same target, same range with a weapon that has less max range.
TigerShark
05/09/18 02:41 PM

A small laser has a "long" bracket of 3 hexes because of beam divergence. It doesn't necessarily compare to the way things are less accurate/efficient for physical weapons, however. Try throwing a javelin 50 yards and still hit something. By your rule's logic, it's easy to do, since a longbow can hit up to 200 yards, putting 50 in its "short."

A laser beam, over a long-enough distance, fans out from its point of origin. It becomes less of a straight line and more of a cone. The small laser could never reach 20 miles distance and still have enough focused light to do damage. Think of a common laser pointer. Try pointing it at something 1 mile away. You're not likely to get the same "dot" size as you would if the target were 10 yards away. A chemical laser mounted on a C-130 could maintain its intensity at that distance, though, since it doesn't diverge enough at 1 mile.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3998

Contact Admins Sarna.net