Okay, call me cheap but...

Pages: 1
Auren_Shiro
11/01/05 02:16 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
What exactly is going on with the Jihad deal? Is that what leads up to Dark Age, because if that's what's going on... I'm going back to my Refusal War now...
Need...more...Nevcrack...
CrayModerator
11/01/05 09:30 PM

Quote:

What exactly is going on with the Jihad deal? Is that what leads up to Dark Age, because if that's what's going on... I'm going back to my Refusal War now...

No, the Jihad is not directly responsible for the Dark Age.

The Jihad is, at this point (3068ish), a confusion of wars between the Houses (FWL vs LA, CC vs FS, FS vs DC, TC vs FS, and WoB vs many).

The Dark Age occurs after decades of "peace" following the Jihad, 3070s-3130s. (Where the period of peace includes about 6 wars...status quo for the Inner Sphere.) The Dark Age is triggered by a failure of the HPG network. The many artificial factions created by the desperate drive for peace following the Jihad fall out into war.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
11/01/05 10:16 PM

Yes it's the lead up to Dark Age.

In a nutshell the WoB nukes the IS, makes it look like each house attacks the other, then they grab some worlds, nuke Outreach and some Clan worlds in the IS and boom...5th Succession War and the end of the BT universe as we know it.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Karagin
11/01/05 10:20 PM

Right okay...funny but that's not what was original put out by WK...all of the MWDA stuff streams from the WoB attack on the IS, so yes their Jihad IS the catalist for the Dark Age setting.

Next you will be telling me that Amaris's desendants are aidding the WoB in this little thing and that oh wait yet another lost SL weapons depot, factory, lost ship yard etc...has been found that allows the WoB to bend and break all of the rules and balances and it's all done to help the storyline along...sorry but they could have done better and come up with something more original and not so over done.
Karagin

CrayModerator
11/02/05 09:04 AM

Quote:

In a nutshell the WoB nukes the IS, makes it look like each house attacks the other,

The Great Houses have been warring for 250 years non-stop and have plenty of stupid little grudges to keep fighting over. Before WoB came along, the Houses can and did slaughter hundreds of billions of people and erase 7 centuries of technological progress.

There's a single suspicious act (in Dawn of the Jihad) that led to a war between the Houses that may be pinned on WoB: the FWL attack on the Lyran Alliance. It was a pretty inexplicable attack and generated a very useful war between the FWL and Lyran Alliance. Per Wizkid's MWDA, WoB will generate a renewed Taurian-FedSuns conflict by bombing Taurus with asteroids.

The other border wars (up through Dawn of the Jihad) seem to have their origins in normal House stupidity. WoB exploited them, but it didn't start them.

Quote:

then they grab some worlds,

Correct. WoB liked to think it was stabilizing the former Chaos March. It's not really a stabilized regime that I'd like to live under, but if WoB wants to think it's a liberator and stabilizer, I don't have enough battlemech regiments to correct their misconceptions.

Quote:

nuke Outreach

To be fair, that happened before much of the rest of the Jihad (which seemed to have been set off by the failed Star League conference on Tharkad). It also happened after the Dragoons attacked the Solar System at Mars. The attack on Mars was in turn a response to a mercenary attack on Outreach - the Dragoons claimed WoB backed the mercs.

And the Dragoons were probably correct about WoB backing. After all, the Wolf Dragoons had formed the AMC and vowed to prevent the WoBblies from annexing the Chaos March. If I were a WoBblie, I'd have a grudge against the 'Goon squad.

Quote:

Right okay...funny but that's not what was original put out by WK...

The original written by WK is written in hindsight. Like any historical document that condenses the facts into short blurbs, you lose a lot of substance, like the actual cause-effect relationships between historical events.

From the perspective of MWDA, the Jihad was all caused by the big, bad Word of Blake because, shit, no House is going to admit it started wars and civil wars in the most destructive conflict since the First Succession War. WoB is such a convenient scapegoat because, hey, it really did toss nukes around. It's easier to say, "WoB did it!" than (for example) for the Federated Suns/Capellan March to admit that it invaded the Capellan Confederation because of incorrect news reports.

Quote:

all of the MWDA stuff streams from the WoB attack on the IS, so yes their Jihad IS the catalist for the Dark Age setting.

I can agree it's a catalyst. Certainly the MWDA stuff wouldn't occur without the Jihad but, then again, neither would President Bush have invaded Iraq if it hadn't been for World War Two. But saying "All of the Iraq stuff streams from the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor" ignores a lot of intervening events. Likewise, saying the MWDA events are strictly a result of the Jihad ignores a lot of intervening events.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (11/02/05 09:07 AM)
Karagin
11/02/05 08:54 PM

Okay, but I still think they could have done something better then this current storyline and still had the WoB as ONE of the bad guys and used the other lingering plot lines that have been dangling around for years (like some for the last 10 to 18 years). And they could have left the nukes out of the whole thing.
Karagin

Auren_Shiro
11/03/05 04:36 PM

I hate Wobbies. Focht I had no problem with being a religious fanatic, or semi- or whatever... but come on. I don't think the Clans would be shot to pieces in MW:DA, in fact, I'd think they'd actually be able to finish the crusader agenda, and go into the Warden agenda.

Oh well.
Karagin
11/03/05 09:26 PM

Based on what has been put out for and about the MWDA setting it's the same thing as what we know in BT with new players and a revert back to the days of 1 lance can take a whole planet with very little support.

Nukes are us is the whole key to WoB's Jihad and TPTB have set it up that no one notices anything or if they do don't do jack squat about it, and a group that while a minor threat becomes one who can attack at will anywhere in the Inner Sphere and the Clan OZs. And through their actions gives rise to a nation that is bordering close on borrowing a lot from Star Wars given it's name, it's choice protectors and a lot of the silliness behind Stone's rise to power...but hey they (TPTB) have a plan...
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5808

Contact Admins Sarna.net