Are the Houses still colonizing planets?

Pages: 1
Karagin
11/04/02 07:35 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay do you guys and gals think that the Houses of the Inner Sphere would still be sending out colonial groups to expand their control or would this not be the case any more?

I am looking for some idea on this, anyone given the subject of House colonies any thought or come up with anything?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
11/04/02 08:12 AM

Generally: no, they aren't. The Federated Suns showed some expansion around the Outworlds Alliance during the Succession Wars leading to speculation it was trying to outflank the Combine, but that's quite a stretch.

Given how many undeveloped worlds there are within each House, there's plenty of internal development that can count for expansion without resorting to colonization.

The whole jihad thing will probably suck away any motivation/funding to expand, too.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
11/04/02 08:24 AM

But could it be a possiblity?
Karagin

TenakaFurey
11/09/02 03:21 PM

Yes...a possibility.

It would, IMO, be a faint one.

Not only is there enough room within the IS itself, but there are the problems of a lack of jumpships, funding and the support necessary to create and sustain a colony.

But not impossible. Private groups might be doing something, and the MoC and TC are expanding into the NCR.

EJL
CrayModerator
11/11/02 07:18 AM

I'll second that. Colonization is likely to be a private venture.

The Lyrans and FS have considerable amounts of under-developed worlds within their borders that can soak up colonization.

The Kuritans are rather drained by the Clan War, as are the Lyrans.

The FWL is a bit internally-oriented, too. Most FWL provinces will not settle new (i.e., Periphery) planets in a government-sponsored manner because they won't be able to maintain control of those distant colonies. The Periphery-border places like Andurien and Claybrooke might think about it.

The most likely Periphery settler IMO is the Confederation, because it's supposedly the most densely populated stretch of the Inner Sphere. It was facing famine from overpopulation in the late 2900s until new wonder crops came out of Tall Tree's genetic labs. OTOH, the Confederation is bit focused on recovering lost planets in the Inner Sphere and is shy on the necessary colonization resources (i.e., jumpships).

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Greyslayer
11/11/02 03:52 PM

The confederation is usually so enveloped in its own subtefuge that it never focuses on the need to exapnd. After the alliance with the magistry and taurian states I doubt CC can expand along there either (being as it is a contested area between the two states.

On another note the Taurians have always either invested in or looked at settling more planets. This could possibly change though because of the nature of their moronic alliance with the CC.

Greyslayer
CrayModerator
11/12/02 06:37 AM

In reply to:

After the alliance with the magistry and taurian states I doubt CC can expand along there either (being as it is a contested area between the two states

Oh, right, that's a point I meant to bring up. The Confederation is also a bit hemmed in, isn't it?

Then again, the New Colonial Region declared independence, yes? Rather vulnerable bunch of poorly developed colonies there. The temptation is to blame the WoB boogie man, but I wouldn't put that past Sun Tzu if Sunny realized the Confederation had a shortage of lebensraum.

Karagin
12/04/05 02:46 AM

Anyone else have ideas for this?
Karagin

NileIngrams
12/04/05 04:55 AM

With the re-discovery of the Helm Memory Core, advanced production methods, including technology for water purification would
have allowed for the re-colonization of abandoned worlds. Most worlds aren't that water rich, so there would have been a considerable percentage of worlds abandoned due to lack of water. If they could get new water purification plants or new sources of water, then these worlds could be re-opened.

They do mention in the House Kurita book that their worlds are running out of resources - but these are worlds where the populations are considerable. Like the rest of the Inner Sphere, the Combine would have also had to abandon worlds in the same way. Kurita has just been more busy at extracting the maximum wealth from their worlds.
NileIngrams NI! - The Killer of Threads!
In the time before the return of the heirs of Kerensky,
when the Successor Lords had tired of bathing worlds in Nuclear Madness,
there was an age of High Adventure!
Karagin
12/05/05 04:08 PM

With that in mind it does feed into the other thread about the dwindeling reasources of the IS...
Karagin

Octavian
12/28/05 09:30 AM

without having read all of the other posts, i think it should be considered, that colonization is not always a process launched and guided by the government.
what i want to say is that uninhabited planets of the M class can be colonized by simple settlers automatically whithout the official permission of the government.
lets take the federated suns by example (hehe): im sure a lot of people are quite unhappy there due to poverty, suppression or anything else. so what do they do? they save all their earnings to fly to a unknown or far away planet.
colonization on earth was similar to this, for example in the north american continent.

BUT if the planet is not so easy to be colonized due to bad atmosphere or something, than its a bit more complicated, id say... one must terraform the planet and make it habitable (see star trek)

okay, its four years since i have read the battletech books, so my knowledge of the battletech-universe is limited. but well, thats my opinion. colonization is going on! >: )
Toontje
12/28/05 02:11 PM

Hmm, terraforming usually consists of building domed or underground cities in bt fiction. Not quite that fancy.
Rather to blow up, then.
CrayModerator
12/28/05 02:30 PM

Quote:

Hmm, terraforming usually consists of building domed or underground cities in bt fiction. Not quite that fancy.

Terraforming only applies to entire worlds. Domes are just enclosed ecosystems.

BT actually makes widespread use of terraforming, but it's not very visible. You can spot in the many planet entries that list "Percentand Level of Native Life." It's very rare to find a planet with "100% native life." (The highest in the old Marik SB is 30% native life.) Humans apparently import foreign life forms like crazy in BT. Grains, food animals, pets, entire ecologies - it's a subtle kind of terraforming.

There are also some more dramatic examples of terraforming, like Venus and Mars. Gibson in the old House Marik SB..."Geographically, Gibson was once 80% land, but the contours of its surface made it ideal for terraforming. With the importation of water, lakes and rivers occurred naturally as the first rains ever fell on many parts of the planet." That's some pretty dramatic planet shaping.

Octavian
12/28/05 03:56 PM

"Hmm, terraforming usually consists of building domed or underground cities in bt fiction. Not quite that fancy. "

terraform means to make a world habitable, i dont know if that can occur partially like you said or not..
terraforming means transforming the atmosphere into for the human breathable air.

there are nowadays even discussions about how we could transform mars inhabitable. there are special bacterias that are able to do that... the same that did it on earth millions of years ago
Toontje
12/28/05 06:31 PM

Didn't think about the suble kind, more of the: let's graze it with an astroid on that angle to speed up rotation etc. In that case you're absolutely right.

Oct, apparently a lot of lower earthly lifeforms are able to survive interplanetary (and possibly interstelar) travel. Always nice to read/see such a study on possible life forms, even if it's someones imagination running amok.

On the topic: new colony region/Fronc Reaches? Afaik all houses have some minimal colonisation in progress, except the CC. Not that's really required with some planets having a pop of mere millions. Coloniation seems more a thing for periphery states, possibly it's still in their blood.
Rather to blow up, then.

Edited by Toontje (12/28/05 06:34 PM)
Greyslayer
01/04/06 06:07 AM

The original Star League sourcebook was probably the best source on this I think.

There is information like a series of jumpships used to 'jump' large ice-'bergs' into other systems to help the terraforming of planets there. Other 'tugs' existed which dragged the ice to the planet etc. Actually I think terraforming is spoken of a fair bit in that book.
Gnome76
01/04/06 01:52 PM

That was my least favorite mission in MW2:Mercs.
Auren_Shiro
01/06/06 03:29 PM

I agree to that one. Use Arrow IV.
Need...more...Nevcrack...
Jagnus
01/18/06 06:32 AM

quick qestion? does anyone know a timberWolf. in clan wars?
Greyslayer
01/18/06 07:22 PM

Quote:

quick qestion? does anyone know a timberWolf. in clan wars?

wrong thread though it does sounds like a common lamer name to me You could probably find hundreds of people with that name on the net.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9589

Contact Admins Sarna.net