Here's my review of Total Warfare book here; post yours here.

Pages: 1
NewPharoah_Max
01/05/07 11:19 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
My review of Total Warfare

Pros:

This book is easier to read than the BMR(r) and AT2(r) - it has lots of pictures of various colors, and itincludes many (but not all) Level 3 items: I.C.E. engines, compact & heavy duty & XL gyro, small control area, lift hoists (the rules for them are more good in Total Warfare book), chainsaw, combine, cargo bays, rock cutter.

My comments, questions, & recommended improvements for Total Warfare book:

p. 41 Ammo doesn't have fuses to protect personnel from electric shock when ammo explodes and heat damage to personnel do to lack of functioning life support should be identical for both 'Mechs and aerowingstubes. What would heat effects be for LAMs?

p. 42 Damage that a person can sustain should equal his/her Body points from Classic BattleTech RPG. I use the Tri-Stat system.

p. 43 Aimed shots should have a +1 modifier applied to all Determining Critical Hits Table rolls. And let players have units be at both altitude and elevation levels.

p. 48 Let units voluntarily fall if it's for their best good.

p. 57 Should the sentence say "A 'Mech can exit"?

p. 61 PSR for taking 20+ damage would provide better balance if player makes a PSR for a 'Mech that takes damage equal to at least one-fifth its tonnage.

p. 80 Vehicle's cruising MP should be increased by 1 for going on paved while flank & top speeds should be recalculated accordingly.

p. 81 Check hill levels & altitude levels & elevation levels in regards to meters.

p. 99 Regarding rules for adjacent units. I noticed that if you lay a straight edge from the left parantheses to either of the right parantheses it seems like the building blocks LOS.
|____15__________(|______30_________|____Level 7_______|_______30________|
|_________________|_________________|_________________|_________________|
|_________________|_________________|____Level 6_______|_________________|
|,__top of building___|,__top of building___|____Level 5_______|_________________|
|_________________|_________________|____Level 4_______|_________________|
|_________________|_________________|_____Level 3______|_________________|
|_________________|_________________|_____Level 2______|_________________| |_________________|_________________|_________________|_________________| |_________________|_________________|_________________|_________________| |_________________|_________________|____Level 1_______|)________________| |_________________|_________________|_________________|_________________|
|_________________|_________________|____Level 0_______|)________________|
|_________________|_________________|,___Level -1_______|)________________|
|_________________|_________________|,___Level -2_______|)________________|

p. How about an aerodyne Dropship rises 2.5 levels for every 7000 tons (or fraction thereof) it masses and a spheroid DropShip rises 1 level for every 2000 tons?

100000 tons 300 meters in diameter
50000 tons 225 meters in diameter
25000 tons 168.75 meters in diameter
25000 tons 126.5625 meters in diameter

p. 101 Combine woods sentences regarding LOS.

p. 102 How about rules for mostly covered?

p. 105 Request you use Maximum Tech rules for left and right side vehicle firing arcs.

p. 111 How about SRMs firing like in MechCommander Gold? By the way the number 11 in the pyschic community is a wild card number.

p. 113 What about boxes & AEs used against prone 'Mechs?

p. 129 When I first heard the new rules for AMSes/Laser AMSes I thought they should be changed but these rules are fine. Seems like the missiles are flying in close formation and a hit to one causes it to be blown up; its blast radius blowing up others in the salvo.

p. 131 How about letting the TAG be disassembled from the C3M at player's discretion?

p. 133 The tetrahedron (spellcheck) of iC3s see it here at the Light Party and iC3s seem to each mass 1 ton more than they should. Three C3s plus one C3M equals seven tons for four units. Six iC3s equals fifteen tons for six units. Tell you what how about letting iC3s of different networks microwork together like laptop computers that can communicate via radio waves through the internet.

p. 138 Can torpedo launchers launch missiles and can missile launchers launch torpedoes?

p. 141 Can fragmentation missiles do motive system damage like putting holes in the bags of bagships and rubber tires and hoverskirts?

p. 142 & 144 Can an aerospace craft use a salvage arm to make a physical attack?

p. 147 Why can't two or three units try to push a unit forwards?

p. 186 Why can't the main weapon of a ProtoMech take a critical hit and how is it that a ProtoMech can make an attack without sensors?

p. 193 How about renaming the Ground Combat Vehicle Hit Location Table as " Hit Location Table of Combat Vehicles that are Ground and Naval"? Do bagships and rail units have a Motive System Damage Table of their own?

p. 197 I prefer my Ground >>>> And Naval<<<< ||||| And VTOL |||| Vehicle Critical Hits Table - good when units have multiple movement systems combined.

p. 221 How about replacing the word swarm with the word climb? And how about having the climb attack base to-hit number be based on gunnery and/or athletic skills?

Weapon tables near the end of Total Warfare book. I think it would have been good to have included the tonnages of the weapons on the weapons tables. By reducing space between the various columns (minimum range, short range, and others) tonnages could be listed.
Greetings to you too.

Edited by NewPharoah_Max (01/05/07 11:52 AM)
Nightward
01/08/07 12:40 AM

Quote:

p. 41 Ammo doesn't have fuses to protect personnel from electric shock when ammo explodes and heat damage to personnel do to lack of functioning life support should be identical for both 'Mechs and aerowingstubes. What would heat effects be for LAMs?

Since pilot damage from ammo explosions is caused by neurofeedback and _only_ 'Mechs (and potentially ProtoMechs) feature a neural link to the machine, they are the only ones that take damage from ammo explosions.

I can't even read the second half of that. I think you're asking about LAM heat scales. God forbid FanPro bring them back, but if they do, they'll be in some kind of Level 3-style rulebook.

Quote:

p. 42 Damage that a person can sustain should equal his/her Body points from Classic BattleTech RPG. I use the Tri-Stat system.

This could easily make for standard troopers with better survivability than Battle Armour platoons. Since Humans (to say nothing of unarmoured Elementals) can reach Body 7, this has the potential to result in Infantry platoons with 210 "Hit Points."

Oddly, I do not see this as a critical rules flaw.

Quote:

p. 43 Aimed shots should have a +1 modifier applied to all Determining Critical Hits Table rolls. And let players have units be at both altitude and elevation levels.

Aimed shots will already be hitting weak spots armour-wise, improving their odds of inflicting a Critical hit significantly.

For the second, Altitude and Elevation are more or less interchangable any way.

Quote:

p. 81 Check hill levels & altitude levels & elevation levels in regards to meters.

'Mechs are 10 metres tall, or thereabouts. Allowing for a little fudging, 12 metres would be required to obscure a 'Mech completely.

Quote:

They already can, in the Movement Phase.

Quote:

p. 131 How about letting the TAG be disassembled from the C3M at player's discretion?

Use of TAG does not preclude use of C3.

Quote:

p. 133 The tetrahedron (spellcheck) of iC3s see it here at the Light Party and iC3s seem to each mass 1 ton more than they should. Three C3s plus one C3M equals seven tons for four units. Six iC3s equals fifteen tons for six units. Tell you what how about letting iC3s of different networks microwork together like laptop computers that can communicate via radio waves through the internet.

Uh, how about "NO!" The balance of C3 is that you can link twelve units. Allowing entire _DIVISIONS_ or _ARMIES_ or, Heaven help us, the _ENTIRETY OF THE COMSTAR GUARD AND MILITIA_ operate on C3i is, plainly put, ludicrous.

Quote:

p. 138 Can torpedo launchers launch missiles and can missile launchers launch torpedoes?

Torpedoes are clearly described as an ammunition type.

Quote:

p. 142 & 144 Can an aerospace craft use a salvage arm to make a physical attack?

Sure. By Ramming.

Quote:

Weapon tables near the end of Total Warfare book. I think it would have been good to have included the tonnages of the weapons on the weapons tables. By reducing space between the various columns (minimum range, short range, and others) tonnages could be listed.

Construction rules were not included. Wait for the Tech Manual.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
NewPharoah_Max
01/09/07 04:35 PM

Quote:

p. 41 Ammo doesn't have fuses to protect personnel from electric shock when ammo explodes and heat damage to personnel due to lack of functioning life support should be identical for both 'Mechs and aerowingstubes. What would heat effects be for LAMs?

Since pilot damage from ammo explosions is caused by neurofeedback and _only_ 'Mechs (and potentially ProtoMechs) feature a neural link to the machine, they are the only ones that take damage from ammo explosions. I can't even read the second half of that. I think you're asking about LAM heat scales. God forbid FanPro bring them back, but if they do, they'll be in some kind of Level 3-style rulebook.

Do you know what fuses do in electronic circuits? Once they break no electrons can pass through them. Fuses will protect personnel from neurofeedback shock. Yes I'm asking about LAM heat scales because 'Mechs and aerowingstubes should have the same heat scales.

Quote:

This could easily make for standard troopers with better survivability than Battle Armour platoons. Since Humans (to say nothing of unarmoured Elementals) can reach Body 7, this has the potential to result in Infantry platoons with 210 "Hit Points." Oddly, I do not see this as a critical rules flaw.

How about that a standard person, who has taken a hit, would have a +2 modifier applied to his/her gunnery & athletic base numbers; he/she would not have, in theory, more good survivability than personnel in Battle Armor?

Quote:

Aimed shots will already be hitting weak spots armour-wise, improving their odds of inflicting a Critical hit significantly.

On what page do Total Warfare rules say that?

Quote:

Quote:

'Mechs are 10 metres tall, or thereabouts. Allowing for a little fudging, 12 metres would be required to obscure a 'Mech completely.

I meant how is a 12 meter tall elevation Level 2 hill at altitude level 2? Altitude level 2 is I think more than a few dozen meters tall.

Quote:

Could you look again? The Total Warfare book I read didn't say that.

Quote:

That's true but to save tonnage see my question above.

Quote:

Uh, how about "NO!" The balance of C3 is that you can link twelve units. Allowing entire _DIVISIONS_ or _ARMIES_ or, Heaven help us, the _ENTIRETY OF THE COMSTAR GUARD AND MILITIA_ operate on C3i is, plainly put, ludicrous.

How about "YES!" ComStar was designed to be an integrated organization.

Quote:

Sure. By Ramming.

I think that's called hitting. What about wrecking ball attacks?

p. 147 How about letting 'Mechs push conventional vehicles, wingstubes, and spacecraft? I'm 5' 10" and I can push a 1' tall wheeled vaccum cleaner.

Quote:

But players might have other construction rulebooks like BMR(r), AT2(r), and/or Maximum Tech(r) and perhaps want to get started with designing units with the technology in Total Warfare book immediately.
Greetings to you too.
Toontje
01/09/07 05:33 PM

Quote:

Do you know what fuses do in electronic circuits? Once they break no electrons can pass through them. Fuses will protect personnel from neurofeedback shock. Yes I'm asking about LAM heat scales because 'Mechs and aerowingstubes should have the same heat scales.

there is a delay before it breaks. An additional possibility for fluffing up the rules is fuses adding to resistance in the circuit (which they do as they are based on that principle)

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This could easily make for standard troopers with better survivability than Battle Armour platoons. Since Humans (to say nothing of unarmoured Elementals) can reach Body 7, this has the potential to result in Infantry platoons with 210 "Hit Points." Oddly, I do not see this as a critical rules flaw.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about that a standard person, who has taken a hit, would have a +2 modifier applied to his/her gunnery & athletic base numbers; he/she would not have, in theory, more good survivability than personnel in Battle Armor?

After 1 point of battlefield damage, the pbi is out. Wether bagged or calling for medevac doesn't matter to the game. How far would you walk after a 20 mm has ripped trough your leg, no matter your constitution?

Quote:

Quote:

None. You are most likely aiming for an area already opened up by previous fire, or known as a weak spot. That it is not listed does not mean it is not taken into account. Check chapter common sense.

Quote:

Quote:

I meant how is a 12 meter tall elevation Level 2 hill at altitude level 2? Altitude level 2 is I think more than a few dozen meters tall.

Altitude is on AT2 scale. Elevation is applied to units on the battlefield. A fighter passing at altitude 0 is something like 10 elevations high iirc. There is a short table on altitude levels and height in meters in AT2. Fighters move too fast to DFA on.

Quote:

Read it again. IIRC it's in the infantry section, next to swarm attacks.

Quote:

It's a perk, it's free with the c3m. It's not a specific part.

Quote:

How about "YES!" ComStar was designed to be an integrated organization.

LAG!

Quote:

Quote:

But players might have other construction rulebooks like BMR(r), AT2(r), and/or Maximum Tech(r) and perhaps want to get started with designing units with the technology in Total Warfare book immediately.

Then these players can wait.
Designing stuff is not part of the core game, but an addition. Similar to the repair table from all the previous products, it served no real goal in making players aquinted with the game. Also, it does not do to add the construction rules to the tournament rules. In that case, customs would be legal.
It would only make the book less clear to read for newer players.
Rather to blow up, then.
Toontje
01/09/07 05:36 PM

Quote:

p. How about an aerodyne Dropship rises 2.5 levels for every 7000 tons (or fraction thereof) it masses and a spheroid DropShip rises 1 level for every 2000 tons?

Sizes of DS are already given in TRO 3057. From these, interpolating the size of a custom is possible.
Rather to blow up, then.
NewPharoah_Max
01/10/07 03:47 PM

Given that the U.S. Military has its "New Way Forward" belief system in Iraq I would recommend changing that "Total Warfare" name to:
A NEW WAYFARE
OF COMBAT
which should attract more customers and organization of that book could be improved.

Initiative Phase
How about adding a player's roleplaying game intelligence and reflexes to his/her initiative roll?

1D6 to 1D10 and 2D6 to 2D10 conversion tables: Note if you get two D10 number choices for a D6 roll, then flip a coin - heads choose the choice on the left and tails choose the choice on the right.
1D6_1D10 roll choices
1___1
2___2 or 3
3___4 or 5
4___6 or 7
5___8 or 9
6___10

2D6_2D10 roll choices
2___2
3___3 or 4
4___5 or 6
5___7 or 8
6___9 or 10
7___11
8___12 or 13
9___14 or 15
10__16 or 17
11__18 or 19
12__20

Rolling a 2D10 when using the current BMR rules for combat & piloting will make to-hit rolls easier. So I'm including a modification rule to make them harder proportionally as much as I can within reason given the amount of time I have here. Both the piloting & gunnery base to-hit numbers are equal to +4 but this does not mean the average 4 gunnery skill base to-hit numbers mentioned in the BMR but rather these two new +4s are simply used for making successful 2D10 rolls harder to do. So basically using the base to-hit number of +4 plus say a gunnery skill to-hit (now modifier) of +4 plus +1 attacking unit walked plus +5 target movement modifier plus +4 defending unit in heavy woods and heavy smoke plus +2 intervening heavy woods equals +20 which means the attack automatically succeeds. I'm not sure entirely about this +4 modifier. I request it be playtested numerous times with various units.

Movement Phase

Quote:

Sizes of DS are already given in TRO 3057. From these, interpolating the size of a custom is possible.

Ok. Basic formulas would be nice, though.

ECM rules could be better too like allowing an opposing ECM to block communications to prevent commands, indirect fire coordinates, etc. from getting through.

A rule I think would make level 3 games interesting is if a 'Mech/conventional vehicle could help another 'Mech walk like if its hip actuator has been hit or leg blown off - this would violate the rule that only one 'Mech is allowed in one BT hex but in miniatures games that rule doesn't seem to exist .

I've noticed that the 18 kilometer (18,000 meter) hex using AT2 rules is a space hex at the highest altitude in which a wingstube can move through a 18 km space hex at the cost of one thrust point, and at altitude level three a wingstube flies about the length of a BattleTech mapsheet per thrust point - 15 BT hexes (450 meters) - it's interesting because each altitude level could be from 1 to 120 so a wingstube at altitude level 1 goes 5 BT hexes per thrust point (150 meters) whereas at altitude 120 wingstube goes 600 BT hexes per thrust point (18,000 meters - the length of a space hex) so at each altitude level it costs one thrust point to go that altitude level's length and multiplied by 5 equals the number of BT hexes flown and then multiplied by 30 equals the number of meters flown. Space hexes I'd like to be 9 km long instead of 18 km long and one thrust point can move a unit two 9 km hexes (see my Weapon Attack Phase notes for reason why), and below altitude hexes' lengths and thrusts used to move through them adjusted accordingly.

Quote:

I meant how is a 12 meter tall Level 2 hill at altitude level 2?

Altitude is on AT2 scale. Elevation is applied to units on the battlefield. A fighter passing at altitude 0 is something like 10 elevations high iirc. There is a short table on altitude levels and height in meters in AT2. Fighters move too fast to DFA on.

Hills have elevation levels. Wingstubes are small; their positions at elevation levels should be indicated. When I played the videogame Gundam: Journey to Jaburo in Mission 2 I managed to DFA two wingstubes using jump jet exhaust vectoring to compensate for the wingstubes' thrust vectoring. Just because a wingstube moves fast doesn't necessarily mean it can't be DFAed. In fact with the current attack/flight paths of wingstubes that Total Warfare book requires them to use it's easy to determine how they (in theory) could be DFAed. That brings me to this comment: attack paths should not be a requirement for wingstubes because they can use thrust vectoring.

Rules for clouds I'd like included for AeroTech2/BMR games - I was in Colorado and clouds sometimes are at mountain level; the rules for smoke could if modified be used for cloud rules like on 4D6 roll of 24 the cloud dissipates and would not be allowed below a certain altitude.

I think only one piloting skill roll for a unit moving along/onto each water hex should be necessary unless a latter water hex in the same movement phase would have a higher final number to roll (this rule modification is to make the game go faster).

Let a seventh combat armored person ride on top of a 'Mech (on rear firing arc side of 'Mech's head).

There could be a rule for letting a 'Mech use triple strength myomer and MASC in the same turn (benefits & drawbacks of both apply) - 'Mech's walking speed is increased by 1 due to the myomer then calculate running and sprinting speeds then recalculate them with the MASC. (MASC is like willpower from that RPG book.

I would like to see rules for what I call ray movement - that's when a unit is in a hex and moves from one hex to one or more other hexes and doesn't have to make so many facing changes - the unit moves along the ray which starts from the center of the hex the unit is currently in and stops at the hex it will stop moving in. Ray movement costs 1/2 MP for each fractional hexside facing change (not a whole hexside facing change) regardless of how fractional the change is. For example: using the map that can be downloaded at classicbattletech.com from the downloads page that has the Maps and Counters link, let's say that in Turn 2 a 'Mech in hex 0108 facing 0207 wants to fire machine guns at short range at a fighter that has landed on the ground in hex 1207. Using ray movement, the 'Mech uses 1/2 MP to fractionally change facing so it now faces the hexside where hexes 0207 & 0208 are adjacent. Now the 'Mech uses 1 MP to move along that hexside, uses another 1 MP to move through hex 0308, uses another 1 MP to move along the hexside that hexes 0407 & 0408 are adjacent to, uses 1 MP to move through hex 0508, uses another 1 MP to move along the hexside that hexes 0607 & 0608 are adjacent to, uses 1 MP to move through hex 0708, uses another 1 MP to move along the hexside that hexes 0807 & 0808 are adjacent to, uses 1 MP to move through hex 0908, uses another 1 MP to move along the hexside that hexes 1007 & 1008 are adjacent to, uses 1 MP to move into hex 1108, and finally uses another 1/2 MP to make a fractional facing change to face hex 1207 at a total of 11 MP used. Using the same example but with the current rules the 'Mech would in Turn 2 use 1 MP to go through hex 0207, then use 1 MP to go through hex 0307, then use 1 MP to go through hex 0406, then use 1 MP to go through hex 0506, then use 1 MP to go through hex 0605, then use 1 MP to make a full hexside facing change to face hex -0706, then use 1 MP to go through hex 0706, then use 1 MP to go through hex 0806, then use 1 MP to go through hex 0807, then use 1 MP to go through hex 1007, then use 1 MP to go through hex 1108, and finally use another 1 MP to make a full hexside facing change to face hex 1207 at a total of 12 MP used. As you can see in the previous example, ray movement enabled the 'Mech from having to use a twelfth MP. Ray movement can in some instances lessen the amount of MP required to go somewhere.

A player may exchange one Walking mp for one standard Jumping mp and vice versa. The player may do this as many times as (s)he desires. A player may exchange one Running mp for one Improved Jumping mp and vice versa. The player may do this as many times as (s)he desires but a mp exchanged for another cannot be exchanged again. If a unit walks & jumps or runs & jumps in the same turn, the unit's attacker movement modifier is +3 or if a unit walks & runs in the same turn then the attacker movement modifier is +2.

Quote:

Read it again. IIRC it's in the infantry section, next to swarm attacks.

Seems like the words on p. 48 indicate that a unit may not voluntarily fall.

Crawling: I think allowing bipedal 'Mechs to crawl resulting in double the movement points spent per crawling through a hex would be neat - and while crawling the 'Mech could fire rear mounted weapons upwards and perhaps even indirectly like say over a hill.

And a unit that lands while using mechanical jump boosters and jump jets/jump pack has a -4 modifier added to the piloting base to-hit number. This is balanced and is good for LAMs if a LAM uses both -- this way it only has to make one landing roll since the landing roll for landing with mechanical jump boosters is the same for landing after an AirMech jump. Jump jets and VTOLs can't jump/jumpglide/fly above elevation to be decided (254?). I'd like a rule included that says units aren't limited to the shortest path when jumping - the rule that requires them to use the shortest paths was made for CBT way before the Battle Value System was invented to balance the jumping effects, now that old rule is outdated and BV system provides a formula for the offensive & defensive effects of jumping which now downgrades jumping in a manner to prevent jump capable units from being able to use their fullest potential.

Pushpull movement for 'Mechs would be neat also if their gyroes got destroyed they could use their limbs to push and pull themselves at quadruple the normal MP spent for walking into and/or through hex(es).

Probes cannot reveal nonmatter information about a person such as his/her Gun/Piloting skills, name, etc. which is actually good for in double blind games when you want to keep information secret and you don't want your ace personnel being shot at. And I let a unit walk an attack among two or more targets.

A vehicular unit is not stopped by an opposing vehicular unit in the same turn it enters the hex that oppposing vehicular unit is in unless that opposing vehicular unit is mobile and declares that unit entering the hex is stopped.

The rules for trailers say that only a tracked or wheeled vehicle may pull a trailer (which can either be tracked or wheeled). Well a hovercraft or VTOL (with cable) can pull a ground trailer across the ground, or it can pull a displacement hull trailer vehicle across the water. I was watching Keith Olberman on MSNBC's Countdown and I saw a Coast Guard VTOL pull a displacement hull craft. And of course, naval vehicles (displacement hull, hydrofoil, sub) should be capable of pulling displacement trailers. And let 'Mechs do some towing to - nice to put your buddy's 'Mech on a trailer and bring it home.

How about some rules for towing like these: First, make a list of each unit's tonnage multiplied by its respective mp used; second, add the list of products together and add the tonnages of all the units together ; and third, divide the sum of the products by the sum of the tonnages to get towing mps necessary. For example: let's say we have spacecraft of tonnages 100rilotons, 50rilotons, 30rilotons, and 20 rilotons that are towing a spacecraft of 200rilotons. Each of the towing spacecraft has a thrust of 4 and the towed spacecraft has a thrust of 0. So (4*100rilotons)+(4*50rilotons)+(4*30rilotons)+(4*20rilotons)+(0*200rilotons)=800rilotonsat 4thrust. Adding the tonnages of all the units 100rilotons+ 50rilotons+ 30rilotons+ 20rilotons + 200rilotons = 400 rilotons. Now 800kilotons at 4thrust divided by 400kilotons equals an acceleration of AeroTech 2 hexes of 2, and another example using the above spacecraft tonnages but with different thrusts: So (2*100rilotons)+(4*50rilotons)+(5*30rilotons)+(8*20rilotons)+(10*200rilotons)=2710rilotons at varied thrust which we shall now divide by 400rilotons gives us acceleration of AeroTech 2 hexes of 6.070705.

p. 147 How about letting 'Mechs push conventional vehicles, wingstubes, and spacecraft? I'm 5' 10" and I can push a 1' tall wheeled vaccum cleaner across a floor in a house.

The double blind sensor rules I think would be better if they were changed so that the sensors work the same way regardless of whether the unit is a 'Mech, airplane, spacecraft, or conventional vehicle - this way if one unit is damaged, its sensors can be put into another with ease.

Very Quick Ranged Combat Phase

How about letting a unit send an attack among two or more targets? I let the player controlling the unit decide how much damage each target will take but the total damage inflicted cannot be greater than what they weapon designed to do in one turn.

I let battle armor target spacecraft (I imagine there'd be sensors & fire control computer on battle armor) and I let targeting & tracking systems of 'Mechs & conventional vehicles and the ranges they can shoot at be on a par with aerofighters (this way 'Mechs & conventional vehicles are not at a disadvantage).

How about grouping LB-X normal pellets and flak minipellets like for LRMs and modifiers for LB-X shots like at short range add +2 to the number you roll to determine how many pellets/flak minipellets hit, at medium no modifier, and -2 for long and extreme ranges and If that reduces the # below 2, assume that the smallest number of pellets hit, and apply an additional -2 modifier if firing flak minipellets which spread out farther than the normal pellets.

I'd like for a rule that says minefields explode only once - roll on Missile Hits Table for damage and there can be Thunder versions of MRMs, and SRMs as well as allowing more mine damage points per hex.

I think that ballistic, missile and artillery weapons could be fired indirectly at immobile targets resulting in their shots striking the targets in the Weapon Attack Phase immediately following the Weapon Attack Phase they're fired in (this includes off board attacks) and the battle value for artillery weapons (not the Maximum Tech artillery cannons) could be doubled to provide better game balance and all attacks declared in the Weapon Attack Phase could all be secretly written down on paper and then resolved.

Two or more units can combine their weapon attacks to use Tactical Handbooks rules for creating craters.

I let probes negate smoke modifiers for gunnery if attacker is getting target's information via probe - probes can gather so much information on objects so they should be able to easily detect units in/behind smoke.

I'd like for TAG, machine guns, Artemis IV & IV launchers, Narc pods, and Streak Missile launchers to be compatible with targeting computers and letting them do aimed shot attacks and also allowing more than one targeting computer on a unit though a weapon may only have the benefits and drawbacks of only one targeting computer at a time and while TAG fires through or into smoke, clouds, woods, or jungle hexes, the terrain modifiers for a TAG attack are doubled due to how they disrupt the TAG beam. How about a medium range targeting system giving a -1 modifier on all attacks made at medium range while when it's set for long range mode a +1 modifier on short range mode and when it's set for short range mode a +1 modifier on all long range attacks? And what about allowing buildings, battle armor, conventional vehicles, airplanes, and spacecraft to use the various targeting & tracking systems discussed in Maximum Tech?
How about allowing the targeting & tracking systems mentioned in Maximum Tech to be used with conventional vehicles, battle armor, protomechs, airplanes, and spacecraft rather than just twelve meter tall 'Mechs - the 3026 Partisan tank has an anti-aircraft targeting system.

An AMS mounted in the head of a 'Mech has a special head arc it protects - it can shoot down double the amount of missiles as compared to the number it can shoot down normally and an AMS or Laser AMS can shoot down an incoming Arrow IV/Copperhead homing missile if the missile is attacking the unit equipped with the AMS/Laser AMS. Spacecraft should be allowed to use targeting computers. I let TAG be targeting computer compatible -- semiguided LRMs/Arrow IV homing missiles can home in on a location a TAG beam targets via the targeting computer but increase the gunnery base to-hit number of those missiles/Arrow IVs by +3 to reflect how the TAG beacon is much more concentrated and narrowed on a location and harder for the missiles/Arrow IVs to see. The +3 modifier is balanced and thus there is no need for increasing the ammo's BV for targeting computer. The +3 modifier is in addition to the +3 location targeting modifier applied (+6 total). I also let a unit use multiple TAGs and fire its weapons while it fires one or more TAGs. I double the number of missiles shot down that are homing in on a location due to targeting computers targeting locations when using AMS/Laser AMS on them.

A missile/torpedo can be sent without giving off heat -- the missile is simply rolled out of the launcher and then its engine ignites after it leaves the launcher so if it's launched in this manner, then resolve the attack in the physical attack phase and apply an additional +4 modifier to the to-hit number.

I let the player controlling the unit decide how much damage each target will take but the total damage inflicted cannot be greater than what they weapon designed to do in one turn.

Quote:

Quote:

A flamer firing into winds has a +1 modifier if the winds are light winds and a +2 modifier if the winds are heavy winds. I let flamers (both energy & ballistic) to each cause both heat & damage.

BattleTech units can fire at ranges AeroTech 2 units can fire at, i.e. BattleTech units are no longer limited to firing into the same and/or adjacent space 18 km hexes and AeroTech 2 units use BMR(R) & MaxTech (R) & Tactical Handbook & Unbound & MechWarrior RPG weapon hex ranges - this is for game balance - whereas capital weapons have their BVs and ranges redesigned so they each use the short (1/4 range), medium (2/4 range), long (3/4 range), and extreme (4/4 range). AT2 units use BMR ranges but each hex is 9 km long instead of 18 km long and one thrust point can move a unit two 9 km hexes. My version of AT2 ranges table:
_Standard___Capital
S 0-12______0-25
M 13-25_____26-50
L 26-37_____51-75
E 38-50_____76-100

Request elevation rules for aerospace units attacking nonaerospace units at same and/or different elevations to be more examined - visual sighting and identification system on each aerospace unit should in theory make it easier than having additional +5 modifier applied because unit is using VTOL/WIGE movement.

How about allowing hidden units to make ranged attacks (except for flamer attacks) while staying hidden if they have a friendly spotting those they're attacking?

Artillery adjusting fire rule would be better if artillery systems can fire during intervening turns instead of having to wait until after the shot has landed.

I don't use modifers for stationary spacecraft - they're not used for stationary 'Mechs on CBT mapsheets and Netwon said motion is relative.

Capital energy weapons may fire in diffracted mode and if they do, then apply a -1 modifier to the base to-hit number (this is like LB-X) and roll on the Missile Hit Table on the 5 column to determine how many shots hit. Capital energy weapons may fire in pulse mode and if they do, then apply a -2 modifier to the base to-hit number and double the heat generated (this is like pulse laser).

Formation: This rule is similar to the Tactical Handbook's rule for artillery weapons firing at hexes using one artillery as a leader. Gunners using naval weapons may have their naval weapons bays fire in formation with one naval weapons bay as a leader. Make only one to-hit roll for all naval weapons bays being fired (Edge can be used to reroll this roll using the MechWarrior/Maximum Tech rules for Edge but the Edge must be spent by the leading weapons bay and cannot be spent to increase or decrease to-hit roll/to-hit numbers) but use the hardest final modified to-hit number of all naval bays being fired for the roll to be rolled against. Thus if you have three different ships that were orbitally bombarding hexes and you wanted to fire at all of them, and one gunner had a base to-hit gunnery level of +7, another of +6 but it used Max Thrust in the turn, and another of +5 and all units were firing at long range, and each gunner was firing only one capital weapons bay, then the final modified to-hit number would be +8 since it's the hardest (+8 plus -4 immobile target plus +4 long range).

Advanced rules for orbit to surface attacks would be helpul like these: to-hit modifier for firing at an immobile hex is -4 the same immobile target modifier while to-hit modifier for firing at a mobile hex is -2 and use the altitude levels posted in this thread earlier to determine range but every two altitude levels counts as one hex.

I think capital ballistic shots could be allowed to strike the surface in the same turn they're fired from orbit like capital energy shots - the capital weapons have a very high mass to range & damage ratio and the time it takes to ignite the powder in capital autocannons and power up the capital gauss rifles to fire the shots would be practically the same as powering up the capital energy weapons and I think capital missiles could be allowed to attack buildings on the ground and units on the ground/in an atmosphere.

Physical Action Phase

Instead of using the quantity of personnel to determine the base to-hit number for a swarming attack since it's unbalanced and unrealistic, I use an athletic bases to-hit number (the same one I use for piloting base to-hit numbers) - Major Adam Steiner of the 1st Somerset Strikers had singlehandedly "climbed" Nicolai Malthus's Thor 'Mech in the last episode of the BattleTech TV anime. Also would like for 'Mechs & conventional vehicles & wingstubes to be able to use jet boosters and/or superchargers from Maximum Tech.

I think some new physical actions for players would make the game more interesting (I don't do the ramming/charging physical attacks) like allowing prone 'Mechs and conventional vehicles (except for VTOLs) to do the pushing attack (they could try pushing each other and other types of units into water/liquid magma hexes for example), letting ground vehicles run over and 'Mechs trample personnel, letting hatchets to get an automatic critical hits table roll but only one critical hit possible with a -4 modifier on the Determining Critical Hits Table & doing double damage they can do now (quadruple if TSM used), allowing players controlling VTOLs to declare charge attacks by using the lower parts of those VTOLs, bola to entangle 'Mech's legs, how about a bow & explosive arrow attack for 'Mechs (would be quiet good for those hidden), flail, towing, construction, pinching, and allowing overheated units to prevent personnel from swarming them (BMR says that personnel can't be in hot environments and if a 'Mech's/wingstube's heat level is at least one, then it's considered hot using Maximum Tech rules for hot environments & heat levels), and a torch physical attack follows the rules for a clubbing attack except a 'Mech uproots a tree/girder on fire and hits a target with it - if the target is hit apply 1 heat point to the target's heat scale but if it has no heat scale, then it's set on fire or if the target is conventional infantry no effect except for Maximum Tech infantry morale rules both fire and 'Mech modifiers apply. I'd like rules for 'Mechs, battle armor, and personnel that are throwing ammunition to be exploded onto targets (which can be given an additional +3 modifier due to the ammunition's oblong shape) and grenades; also anti-missile systems could shoot down the ammo/grenades and the throwing rules could use the punch attack rules with modifications and objects could be thrown indirectly at objects too.

For death from above attacks a unit doing a DFA can do one or more DFAs provided jump MP is available (hard to determine which get DFAed, hint initiative rules) and may be subject to physical attacks. If the roll is successful, the unit does not fall and if desired units may use mechanical jump boosters to do DFAs but only against immobile targets (such as shutdown 'Mechs) unless they're using other jump systems such as 'Mech Jump Pack and/or jump jets.

No type of physical attack can create a crater.

Quote:

Sure. By Ramming.

I think that's called hitting. What about wrecking ball attacks?

I let JumpShips using a standard or compact K-F drive make as many jumps as they want per charge but the total number of jumps per charge may not exceed 30 light years.

Damage

I'd like for a rule that says minefields explode only once - roll on Missile Hits Table for damage and there can be Thunder versions of MRMs, and SRMs as well as allowing more mine damage points per hex.

Request only one conventional vehicle hit location table to be of ground, naval, VTOL, and WIGE -
players might want to make combination vehicles of any, some, or all the above conventional vehicles.

My advanced conventional vehicle critical hits table, roll 2D6:
2-5 No critical hit
6 Driver Hit, Crew Stunned, Bay door locked, Turret/Rotor Jam
7 Weapon malfunction or weapon jam
8 Stabilizer Hit
9 Weapon Destroyed
___Front____________Left/Right____Rear ______Turret/Rotor
10 Brakes___________Sensors_____Brakes_____Turret or rotor locks
11 Steering__________A bay is hit __A bay is hit _Turret or rotor locks
12 Controls destroyed__Engine Hit___Engine Hit__ Turret or rotor blown off
See Total Warfare book for details on the above critical hits and my rules also below for above critical hits. Crew Stunned applies for left/right hits. Bay door locked - cannot be opened without tools (lock jammed) so personnel may leave or enter until lock unjammed. Brakes The vehicle's brakes are damaged -- its crew cannot deaccelerate the vehicle. Steering The vehicle retains its facing until its steering is repaired. A bay is hit - randomly determine a bay of heat sinks, ammunition, people, cargo, etc. hit and if the heat sinks/ammunition bay is hit, lose all heat sinks/ammunition per bay. If people are hit, two people per point of damage are hit from critical hit as if they were outside the vehicle. Controls destroyed - the vehicle's controls are destroyed to the point where it cannot perform any action and the crew in it might be wounded.

Advanced rules for the Determining Critical Hits Table (and this can be applied to 'Mechs, conventional vehicles, wingstubes, spacecraft, battle armor, buildings) is to use the armor threshold rules from AeroTech 2 and modify them so that the total damage inflicted on the location is divided by the armor threshold - the quotient is then added to any roll on the Determining Critical Hits Table which could have new roll results as follows:
12-13 roll 3 critical hit locations
14-15 roll 4 critical hit locations
16-17 roll 5 critical hit locations and torso (no twisting), limb, turret, or rotor jammed
18-19 roll 6 critical hit locations and head, limb, turret, or rotor blown off Note that if using this table critical hits are too easy to make, then the table should be modified to have a negative number added to the dice roll; if they're to hard to make, then the table should be modified to have a positive number added to the dice roll.

An ICE engine has as part of its tonnage a radiator that can dissipate 3 heat points in the same manner as heat sinks. Have the top engine critical slot renamed "radiator" - a critical hit to it destroys it. The bottom ICE engine critical slot is its fuel tank.

Quote:

here is a delay before it breaks. An additional possibility for fluffing up the rules is fuses adding to resistance in the circuit (which they do as they are based on that principle)

A circuit of transistors & fuses would prevent 'Mech and wingstube personnel from experiencing neural feedback shock.

Quote:

After 1 point of battlefield damage, the pbi is out. Wether bagged or calling for medevac doesn't matter to the game. How far would you walk after a 20 mm has ripped trough your leg, no matter your constitution?

Not that I want my leg to be hit by a 20 mm but that depends on the quality of the splints attached to my leg. I suppose the poles from a backpack and that pack itself would work. Would be very hard to do especially with the pain from a 2 cm. How about using the number of MechWarrior 3 RPG Body attribute points to determine how many head hits it takes to defeat a MechWarrior like for example if a MechWarrior has 10 Body points, then he/she is knocked unconscious (not killed) on the tenth hit to the 'Mech's head.

Whenever the head is rolled on either the Shot From Above or Punch Hit tables, roll the die again - if a 4, 5, or 6 is rolled, the head is hit, otherwise reroll for location (this does not apply to DFAs/aimed shots/targeting computer attacks against head, and head hits were too easy to make and this makes sense given the small area of a head).

The +1 modifier for taking each 20 points of damage I'd like modified so that the +1 modifier is applied for every amount of damage that's at least the percentage of the unit's tonnage as described: a 'Mech on the ground - 20%, a LAM (while jumpgliding in AirMech mode and has not landed) or VTOL flying/hovering - 15% (less stability than being on the ground), an airplane/aeroplane flying - 10% (even less stability than jumpgliding/VTOL rotor flying) - this will put those units quantitywise, tonnagewise, and chassiswise more on a par with each other and that before making the piloting skill roll the player rolls 1D6 - on a roll of 1 the player must make the piloting skill roll.

Wingstubes to have 11 armor locations since their LAM wingstube likes do as follows: left front, right front, top left wing, top fuselage, top right wing, cockpit, bottom left wing, bottom fuselage, bottom right wing, left tail, right tail - would make the wingstubes more balanced and more realistic because on the front cover of AeroTech 2 and Popular there are wingstubes that appear to have 11 armor locations; and I think the word cockpit should be changed to "control area" - cockpit sounds so sexually intrusive.

Quote:

p. 41 Ammo doesn't have fuses to protect personnel from electric shock when ammo explodes and heat damage to personnel due to lack of functioning life support should be identical for both 'Mechs and aerowingstubes. What would heat effects be for LAMs?

Quote:

It's a perk, it's free with the c3m. It's not a specific part.

There must be materials manufactured for TAG radio wave circuit and laser.

Quote:

LAG!

But the extra tonnage would in theory compensate for lag.

Heck, a HPG masses 50 tons and can communicate several light years.

I'd like for the basements table to be shortened so it doesn't have so much text. Tables at the end of Total Warfare book must have thinner margins. This enables for more information to be put into that book.

Quote:

I think it would have been good to have included the tonnages of the weapons on the weapons tables that are located at the end of this book. By reducing space between the various columns (minimum range, short range, and others) tonnages could be listed.

Then these players can wait.
Designing stuff is not part of the core game, but an addition. Similar to the repair table from all the previous products, it served no real goal in making players aquinted with the game. Also, it does not do to add the construction rules to the tournament rules. In that case, customs would be legal.
It would only make the book less clear to read for newer players.

Towards the end of the book is advice for making miniatures and many tables. New players that can read those tables can certainly read the tables that can be changed in the manner I recommended.
Greetings to you too.
Toontje
01/10/07 06:21 PM

Name change: No way, it would be as idiotic as the commiting to a course of action 3 years ago that bears it's ill fruit these days. (In which I am refering to the initial start of the 2nd GW.) It is better not to link a system to:
A/ a fleeting sentiment
B/ a controversial subject
C/ a political situation
which all three apply in this name. It makes the game actual, which is not good next week when it is passé.

On the rest:
You cannot bring in RL and other, not relating games as reference; if there was no difference, there would be no need for different gaming systems. Use imagination in a RPG situation within guidelines you make yourself, such as DS height, and do not expect imagination to be too well received if it involves the rules, in normal gameplay.

And don't write 2 pages inconsequential rubbish, that only weakens the points you are trying to present.
Rather to blow up, then.
NewPharoah_Max
01/17/07 02:38 PM

In response to your "A" point how about "Combat Wayfare"? In the introduction that book says it's to be progressive. As for "B" and "C" points the Classic BattleTech universe is full of controversies and the U.S. Military is prohibited from discussing politics.
Greetings to you too.
Toontje
01/17/07 04:10 PM

Let me put it this way:

There are a lot of international players (like me). The name does not bring images to mind, or ring any bell. If a subtitle name would be added, let it be one from inside the BT universe; currently that would include Jihad references.
Rather to blow up, then.
NewPharoah_Max
01/18/07 06:22 PM

Actually that title Total Warfare is fine. Meet my on Off Topic to find out why. Oh, and I'd prefer there be a rule that lets infantry personnel send shots towards units to destroy missiles those units launch? That rule could be that "the infantry personnel must have won the initiative instead of the target unit (unless the target unit is using opportunity attack), and must have LOS to the side the missiles are being launched out of (opposite side(s) of target unit block LOS), and makes the gunnery attack as normal but apply an additional +2 modifier to the to-hit number. If the target unit launches missiles, then roll on the corresponding column of the Cluster Hits Table and apply a +1 modifier per 10 points of damage the infantry personnel's weapons do (add up all damage all the infantry personnel sent to the target unit to destroy those missiles presumably being launched).

Edited by NewPharoah_Max (01/19/07 11:08 AM)
NewPharoah_Max
01/22/07 02:18 PM

Ok I meant to say in the previous message "and the player using the infantry personnel's gunnery attack applies a -1 modifier per 10 points of damage the infantry personnel's weapons do (add up all damage all the infantry personnel sent to the target unit to destroy those missiles presumably being launched)" (don't add the +1 modifier per 10 points of damage mentioned above).

Edited by NewPharoah_Max (01/22/07 02:22 PM)
NewPharoah_Max
02/23/07 03:07 PM

PHYSICAL ATTACK PHASE
Replace the phrase “Physical Attack Phase” with “Physical Action Phase”.

DFAs
Any unit that fails a DFA attack can immediately make a piloting skill roll with an additional modifier equal to its MoF of the DFA attack. If the roll is successful, the unit doesn’t fall.

Dodging
Any unit that does not have the dodging ability and is making a dodging action in a Physical Action Phase must make a Piloting Skill Roll at the end of that phase with a +1 modifier.

Knockdown
Follow the rules for a pushing attack but the attacking unit does not advance into the target’s hex and the target does not move out of its hex. The attacking unit must make a piloting skill roll.

Table of Contents - how about three columns per page? And how about having more words next to each other, i.e., on p. 5 rather than
"Mounting
Dismounting"
have typed "Mounting, Dismounting".

Have heat phase in end phase or have heat resolved when basically heat systematicallHay happens.

Unequal numbers of units p.39 Have them move as wholes (whole as in a player's contingent) one at a time and allow those that won the initiative to go first if preferred. BV

Have columns in tables closer together to save space for more printing (like another short story, bonus rules) pp. 42 (Warrior Consciousness Table), 53, 60 (right columns), 63, 68, 77, 93, 131, 141, 185, 204, 205:
4-5 Altitude reduced by 1
6-9 Altitude remains the same
10-11 Altitude increased by 1
213 - 215, 217, 221, 223, 239, 241, 243, 249, 259.

The only real difficulty there is with this book is its weight - its margins would be better off shortened, the tabs printed over the edges of this book's pages, the tables' margins done away with, and the kitminiworking section at the end would have been better if it was just a detachable pamplet attached to the book (this way it can be conveniently taken into workshops for reference and/or left on a bookshelf at a store at a consumer's discretion).
Greetings to you too.

Edited by NewPharoah_Max (02/23/07 05:52 PM)
Toontje
02/24/07 05:07 PM

No.
Rather to blow up, then.
NewPharoah_Max
02/26/07 05:02 PM

Why not? Explain. Allow a customer to leave on a shelf in a bookstore that kit pamplet in exchange for corresponding rebate if he/she desires.
Greetings to you too.

Edited by NewPharoah_Max (02/27/07 11:38 AM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9993

Contact Admins Sarna.net