Funny Fictional Character Names

Pages: 1
Tripod
06/17/10 04:21 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm just finishing the Twilight of the Clans books and I must say, I'm impressed. Why did I wait so long to start reading BT novels?

So, I came across a few funny names..

"Horse" The freebirth Jade Falcon Mechwarrior was a good one but nothing compared to...

Scientist-General Etienne Balzac!!!

OMG! I actually laughed out loud when I read that name the first time. I felt like I was back in grade school, snickering about something like this.

Anyone else have any to add?
TBA
Almighty
06/19/10 02:17 PM

That's shocking to hear from a long time BT fan. :lol: The names are mostly from a common writing list for names. So IS names are commonly found in any kind of novels while the Clans have more creative first names.

You started with the wrong book. I'm not saying all are good, though. That one is in a long line of stories with Horse. One of the long 'living' characters of all side characters. Well, not popular or good either.
You can safely start with Jade Phoenix-Trilogie -Bloodname II, - Falcon Guard III, Natural Selection, I Am Jade Falcon, Freebirth, Falcon Rising, ...

Personnally all Michael A. Stackpole novels are the best. I found The Sword and the Dagger was good, too.
D.R.T being the worst I've read. The others and the dark ages are so-so. Mostly BT novels are below average quality except Stackpole's.
Tripod
06/24/10 04:25 AM

I searched (once) for a chronological listing of BT novels and only found a listing for the new dark age books.

I know I've asked before but does anyone have a complete, or near complete list of books by year? I'd love to read about the fall of the start league and the actual exodus, and all 4 succession wars. I'm somehwat versed(imo) on the happenings from 3025 on untill the mid-late 3060's.

I have book 3 of jade phoenix, can't seem to find the other 2.

I have the intention of reading every one of these I can get my hands on but I'd like to put them in some sore of order before I start.

What's DRT?

I'm willing to suffer through bad writing just to learn all I can about the history...
TBA
KitK
06/24/10 01:46 PM

I'm looking in my 25 years of art and fiction. It has bibliography section. I don't see a single novel for the Star League Era, but there may be something since it printed.

Fiction set during the 4th Succession War (3028-3030) or touching the timeline include:
..The Price of Glory (3027-3028)
..Shrapnel: Fragments from the Inner Sphere (collection of short stories 2025-3030)
..Warrior: Riposte (The Warrior Trilogy, vol.2) (2027-2309)
..Wolves on the Border (2023-2028)
..Warrior: Coupe (The Warrior Trilogy, vol.3) (March - December 3029)
..Heir to the Dragon (3018-3040)
..Battlecorps Anthology, Vol 1: The Corps (collection of short stories Star League - Civil War)
..www.battlecorps.com (all eras)

After this you get into source books
Striker
06/25/10 01:20 AM

I have most of the books that were published.

D.R.T stands for Dead Right There. It's about the Black Thorns Company.. Pretty good book...
FrabbyModerator
06/25/10 08:47 AM

Quote:

I searched (once) for a chronological listing of BT novels and only found a listing for the new dark age books.

I know I've asked before but does anyone have a complete, or near complete list of books by year? I'd love to read about the fall of the start league and the actual exodus, and all 4 succession wars. I'm somehwat versed(imo) on the happenings from 3025 on untill the mid-late 3060's.

I have book 3 of jade phoenix, can't seem to find the other 2.

I have the intention of reading every one of these I can get my hands on but I'd like to put them in some sore of order before I start.

What's DRT?

I'm willing to suffer through bad writing just to learn all I can about the history...

There's way over a hundred BT novels out there dude!

As for timeline, check out this thread over at CBT.com:
Novel list order
Almighty
06/25/10 04:44 PM

The novels came out in chronological order with only minor exceptions or some retelling.

There are no novels about the fall of the star league or Kerensky's exodus yet. And probably won't be since Dark Age came out. This may change if the publisher want to revive BT from a past standpoint as with the 'The terran hegemony' listing of recent TRO.
However, you can find info in some novels:
Kerensky trilogy: Lethal Heritage, Blood Legacy, Lost Destiny. Must read!!
some minor infos in the novels I listed before
Some more in-depth info is given by the Operation Klondike game book. It clears up the unclear information provided by the novels. Don't look into it if you don't want to spoil the novels.
Tripod
09/04/10 04:04 PM

I recently finished umm... shoot... cant remember the title... the one about the creation of the Black Thorns... Main Event maybe? Now I've got a gap to fill between then and when/how the true Black Watch was recreated and joined Operation Serpent. No spoilers please : ) Just titles if you kow them!

I liked Ideal War too.

Working on some of the later Grey Death Legion books now. I've only read the first(Decision at Thunder Rift) so far. Finished umm... (chaos on Caldonia)... What's it called...grr... and working on the followup Operation Excalibur.
TBA
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
09/06/10 11:28 AM

Quote:

So, I came across a few funny names..

"Horse" The freebirth Jade Falcon Mechwarrior was a good one but nothing compared to...

Oh I loved that name when I first saw it. But I might be oh so slightly biased. :P

I have a lot of the Battletech books but there are still lots that I don't have.

I do have a bit of a funny story about buying some BT books. I was traveling through Albuquerque NM returning to California from a fandom convention that was in Pennsylvania. I had to stop at a bank to take care of some business that had to be taken care of that day. I was waiting out side the bank for them to open I had a quite a long wait so I asked a person that happen to be walking by if there was a used book store somewhere in the area. He/she knew of one and I headed over there to check out what they might have in stock to read wile I waited for the bank to open. Well they had a large number of BT books in stock and I grabbed everyone that I did not have that I knew of. Well a hundred and fifty dollars later I was happily reading the first book waiting for the bank to open.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7370

Contact Admins Sarna.net