Land-Air Mech Construction Rules FASA Tactical Handbook

Pages: 1
tmr01750195
11/19/17 08:37 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
In WizKid/FanPro Maximum Tech Revised and FASA Maximum Tech on page 6 is the following information:

"It is important to note that, in addition to a wide variety of new rules and equipment, Maximum Tech includes much of the material first presented in the out-of-print Tactical Handbook, though this material has been revised to improve playability and game balance. Certain material from the Handbook, notably rules for Land-Air ’Mechs (LAMs) and the Operational Game, is not included in Maximum Tech for various reasons. We may revise this material and include it in future BattleTech products as appropriate. Players who prefer the rules and equipment as presented in the Tactical Handbook should feel free to continue to use those rules as written."

Looking at FASA 8630 BT Tactical Handbook 1994 on pp. 49-50 are to my knowledge the most up-to-date Land-Air Mech rules published by FASA.

"LAM Construction p. 50
Use standard BattleMech construction rules when constructing a LAM, but 10% of the LAM's total weight (rounding up to the nearest half-ton) must be devoted to its conversion gear. A LAM may never be heavier than 55 tons. OmniMechs cannot be built as LAMs. LAMs cost 1.75 times the standard BattleMech cost. The CV of a LAM's conversion equipment is equal to .75 of the total CV of the unit's other components."

I've taken a look at some of the LAM designs posted here and I'm a bit confused by what the Tactical Handbook instructions appear to say and some of the components used.

My understanding of "standard" BattleMech construction rules are

1. Tonnage: 20--100 tons FanPro Classic BT Master Rules p. 115
2. Internal Structure: 10% of Mech's total weight, FanPro Classic BT Master Rules p. 116 3. Internal Structure Table column 2 under the tag of Standard Structure.
4. Cockpit: 3 tons FanPro Classic BT Master Rules p. 116 text
5. Fusion Engine: Tonnage x Desired Walking MP = Engine Rating FanPro Classic BT Master Rules p. 117 Fusion Engine Table column 2 under the tag of Std. Engine Tonnage.
6. Gyroscope tonnage: Engine Rating/100 rounding up Rating FanPro Classic BT Master Rules p. 118
7. Jump Jets: Jump Jets Weight Table Rating FanPro Classic BT Master Rules p. 118
8. Heat Sinks: Single or Double FanPro Classic BT Master Rules p. 118 text
9. Armor: "Standard armor provides 16 points." FanPro Classic BT Master Rules p. 119 text
10. Weapons, Ammo, and Other Equipment: Inner Sphere Weapons & Equipment Table FanPro Classic BT Master Rules pp. 121-122.

I thought that Endo-Steel, Light or Extra-Light Engines, and Ferro-Fibrous Armor are advanced components not "standard".

Did FanPro or FASA publish another source book after the Tactical Handbook that folded Endo-Steel, Light or Extra-Light Engines, and Ferro-Fibrous Armor into the "standard" rules and if so what is the title of the book please?

Edited by tmr01750195 (11/20/17 02:31 PM)
FrabbyModerator
11/20/17 06:13 AM

Land-Air-Mech rules are found in the Interstellar Operations rulebook.
tmr01750195
11/20/17 02:26 PM

Thank you Frabby for providing the information that the latest LAM construction rules are found in IO.

The LAMs I have looked at in the Design forum do not appear to be using IO rules on pp. 114-115.

Karagin's design contest to create a LAM version of the 35-ton BZK-F3 Hollander has entries with Endo-Steel Internal Structure and Ferro-Fibrous Armor.

Per IO p. 114
Armor: LAMs may not use hardened armor and any other armor that requires critical hit slots, including ferro-fibrous armor, modular armor, and stealth armor. LAMs may use armored components, however.

Internal Structure: LAMs may not use any internal structure that requires critical hit slots, such as endo steel.

I'm also going to admit that my, prior to FASA 8630 BT Tactical Handbook, view of the FASA LAM construction rule was formed by FASA 1609 AT 1e and FASA 1604 BattleTech 2e (I have a copy of BattleDroid which I consider as being the first edition). The only change is I use the Weapons and Ammo table in AT. Okay, I also added the rules from FASA 1640 The BT Compendium p. 105 that the maximum weight is 55 tons and OmniMechs cannot be LAMS.

In the BT Compendium I can see how a majority look at the LAM rule as allowing all the goodies introduced in later books. I'm not sure how many have copies of the out of print Tactical Handbook or IO which does not leave a lot of elbow room for using everything allowed in Mech construction.

Again thank you for the reply.

Edited by tmr01750195 (11/20/17 02:29 PM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 155 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3859

Contact Admins Sarna.net