Where do you get your minis from?

Pages: 1
MaddogDCD
01/03/04 10:31 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I was looking for opinions on online stores. Of the two places in town that sold CBT, one went out of business and the other doesn't carry the minis any more. I could go out of town, but I don't feel like it. Plus, online stores seem to be cheaper, not taking shipping into account. (I usually buy in bulk and that lasts me six months. )

I have gone thru numerous stores and I won't name names because I want fair opinions, not flaming.
The first two that I tried, they charged my credit card, but never sent the product and wouldn't respond to contact attempts. In both cases, my credit card was refunded. The third one only deals on eBay, apparently. Over 2002 Christmas, I made a large purchase and some items had to be back ordered. I sent a note saying to just send one shipment to save on costs, I could wait. They didn't listen and split the order. The first order came (I was charged like $15.00 for postage of two shipments) when actual mailing cost was something like $4.25 and $3-something. So a place that offers free minis with large orders, but then gouges on shipping, isn't for me. My last place that I dealt with a few times, kinda dicked me over on a personal level. So I won't go there.

Oh, and IWM seems to be the highest priced for us normal customers and they seem to be real slow on shipping.
Ghost
01/04/04 01:29 AM

The local gaming store I use is also online. When i can't make it in, i go through their website. Check them out and see what you think. http://www.dlair.net/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi

web page
JStallion
05/26/04 06:23 PM

just out of curiosity, i looked up my fav mech on that site.....

IWM 20-603:MADCAT MECH $ 9.50

thats a couple extra bucks more than this other site i found which has all mechs a certain price only based on light mech, medium mech, heavy mech, or assault mech. they overcharge a little for mechs like the loki, but when comparing your overall end price with every other site ive seen so far, its much less. i have it under favorites but not on this computer, so when i come on later ill post the site.
JStallion
06/01/04 04:42 PM

ok its www.frpgames.com and i made a list of mechs i want to start my force off. saddly they dont have the pouncers and night gyrs on this site like my force would have but....its $259.25 for 39 mechs. not too bad.

all light mechs- $5.56
all medium mechs- $6.36
all heavy mechs- $7.16
all assault mechs- $7.96

now theres a few exceptions, ive only seen a few though that raise the price, most are lower like for the dasher its $4.76

let me know how this compares to other sites. its the lowest ive seen so far.
MaddogDCD
06/10/04 05:51 PM

I just checked out 4 minis on that site and compared it to the site that I've used in the past, which has been the cheapest, for the most part. What I found is that FRP is cheaper by about $1/mini, but they're more expensive on shipping by about .75/mini.
JStallion
06/11/04 12:07 PM

well, get to save .25
Tzu
06/13/04 01:31 PM

Quote:

well, get to save .25

Now I can buy that pack of gum that otherwise I would have had to go without!

Seriously now, I checked out frpgames.com and then compared those prices with IWM. Of course IWM had the better selection, but I only included mechs I could find on both sites(FRP is missing a few 3060s I was looking for and IWM doesn't have some 3055s anymore since they've been phased out ). I compared the totals before shipping, and the same 18 mechs I could buy at IWM for 151.65, I could get for 121.32 at FRP (savings=30.33). There you have it, further proof FRP is better-priced. Once again, this does not take shipping into account, but I don't think it would affect the price difference much anyway.
Ever made a 'Mech with 6 Gauss Rifles? I have.

Brick Commander, where Lego and Battletech unite!
Tzu
06/13/04 10:03 PM

I also forgot to mention this is my first time buying the minis too. I've been into CBT since I got MW2 with my computer 10 years ago, I just never got around to buying the minis, and then FASA folded and I didn't know where else to look for them. Anyway, do you have to buy hex bases separate or do they come with the mini? And also about how big are the minis? I know they're small, but how small?

JStallion
06/14/04 02:50 PM

Tzu im in the same boat as you.

ive been in it since MW2, just not the minis and wanted to get into them as well. So i dont know the answer to your question, im going to assume though that u have to get the hexes seperate because
1) theyd get more $ that way
2) why else would they have them as an item to buy?

Oh and i meant that .25 per mech, so u get 4 mechs, thats $1 saved. think of that, a whole $1, 4 packs of gum instead of just one! the possibilities! ahahahhahahaha. anyway though i e-mailed some peeps at FPR because they had the ryoken pic on the fenris mech, which i guess they got from ironwind who has the same mistake, but they told me theyll sell anything ironwind does, so if u made a request for those 3060 mechs im pretty sure u could get them.

and i believe the minis to be around a couple inches tall, but not positive.
JStallion
06/14/04 02:51 PM

oh and FPR does 20% off, in my bordem i figured that out, so its not just some random discount
MaddogDCD
06/15/04 07:06 PM

I did another comparison with FRP with 8 minis and I'd save about $5, so that ups it to about 62 cents per mini saved. They look like they gouge on shipping for small orders (IE 4 minis) but then it gets reasonable the more you buy. So this looks like a company that you could really save with if you buy in bulk.
Tzu
06/15/04 09:15 PM

Quote:

that ups it to about 62 cents per mini saved.

Wow, that's two packs of gum per mini, and then some!

Thanks for the info JStallion. I guess it makes sense from a business standpoint to sell the bases separate, but as long as they stand up without 'em it's all the same to me. And I sent an email about the missing mechs, still waiting to hear back from them though.

JStallion
06/16/04 12:22 PM

no problem, i was wondering how they compare to other places that i might have missed. seems they do pretty well thoughbut savin 5 bucks for that many mechs might get u another mech all together, so it seems like it works.
Tzu
07/01/04 07:18 PM

Hey all, I'm back. While I was gone I got a reply from FRPGames and they added the mechs I asked 'em about to their site, all at the usual 20% off too. Since they apparently are the better place for bulk buying, I guess I'd better start adding to my shopping cart.

Lonestar1939
12/20/05 03:43 PM

There is also the following:

Darkcross Roads - They give 20% discount and a free hex base with each mini

Exodus Road Hobbies - They also have a 20% discount.
I don't know the url off hand, just do a search.
They are both good places, have ordered from them before.
LONESTAR
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 13254

Contact Admins Sarna.net