Looking to Kick Start a Mechwarrior RPG

Pages: 1
Akirapryde2006
09/21/15 07:13 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
So just as the title says, I am looking at creating a online role playing group for a Mechwarrior Campaign.

Here is what I need from you. Keep in mind that the game is set to begin during the year of 3130's. But I need inform everyone thinking about joining this game that while this game will begin in the Canon Universe, but will not be a Canon game. Expect the unexpected and have an open mind to the story arc I will be presenting.

As you work on your backgrounds, I need some vital information. I want to know your family's history. Where did they come from, their religion, ethnic background and major events that they took part in. Take your family's background to the early 3020's. It doesn't have to detailed, just the basic information. With your own character background keep in mind that unless you want an older character, all characters will be coming in to the game as late teenagers/early 20's. So please make sure that your backgrounds reflect that.

The only way to change your character's age is to adjust your character's age within your background (Please allow me to approve these advanced aged backgrounds).

The only exception to the age rule will be the Dropship Captain who is in his early thirties (Once I have his background, bonus SPs will be rewarded automatically for that player to spend on his character).

Including the Dropship Captain, I am looking for between five to six players. Though I don't mind picking up more that six. The Characters can be any character that the Party approves. However keep in mind your dropship is only a Buccaneer. You can be a member of the crew, or a member of the party (IE a mechwarrior or any other type of character the party allows).

Also, here is the starting scene for the game.

The party and their dropship had been hired by a small group of scientist to conduct experiments near the Gum Nebula within the Deep Periphery. It has been a long and boring five months while the scientist continue their experiments. Please let your backgrounds end within the middle of this long contract with the Scientists.

Life Within the contract: The travel from Lyran Space to the edges of the Periphery was long and filled with some entertainment. For most characters this was most likely the first time they journeyed beyond Lyran boarders. This travel time took nearly a year to cross the Inner Sphere. As your group left Inner Sphere along the Federated Sun's boarder, your jumpship jumped from the Inner Sphere in to the Periphery. Upon jumping through the Periphery was long and boring. It took your jumpship four months of jumping to reach the location of the experiments. The total travel time to this point was one year four months.

According to the three year contract your party is to remain on station while the Scientist complete their experiments then return to their University on Tharkad.

The party has been hired by these scientists to protect them from pirates. However the mission was far from that. Days were filled with boredom as the jumpship jumps from unpopulated world to unpopulated world. The time to return from the mission is set to begin next month. A much long anticipated journey for everyone, even the scientists.

When completing your character background, I want to know your character's mindset and feelings of this mission.

I will be posting the list of these scientists within the next few days.

I do not have a start time set for the game yet to give everyone a chance to hammer out their characters.
Akirapryde2006
09/26/15 10:02 PM

So many views, but no replies. Oh so sad. I would have thought that there would be more interest involved.
DavidG
09/26/15 11:11 PM

Hi, What you have proposed looks interesting, but I have never played an online game before, only table top. How does one play an online rpg game? I'm not a newbie to gaming, I've played BT since it first came out. Some of my first mechs were actually packaged as Battledroids. I have played various war games: modern and WWII micro armor, WWI, WWII, and modern navel games, etc. I also have played many rpgs: AD&D, D&D 3.5, Star Trek(various rules), Star Wars, VtM, WtA, MtA, Space Opera, Traveller, FTL 2448, Role Master, Space Master, etc.

But like I said, I have never played an online game before. How do you handle the interaction with everyone? Could you please explain it to me. Thanks.

David
ghostrider
09/27/15 03:03 AM

All of the online games I have played had graphics to them. Not great ones for some, but enough to show you what is where. Not sure if anyone has replied to you about some parameters such as how long before moves are done?
I am assuming you want the players to make up a character, but under what rule set?
Even the type of characters you are looking for, ie, mech warriors and how many? Infantry? Fighter pilots?

But then I am not sure if many would get to play. Some have jobs that will take them away for times on end and no prior warning. Others, do have limited time on the boards.
Others, like me, are reluctant to say we are going to do something, when we are not sure how long we can do something like this.
I would assume email is the way you would do this, and I don't have anti virus, so would not want to pass on a virus I might have in the system.
There is chance that others might have a group that might want in, and not sure if your offer is just for the people on the forums.
Akirapryde2006
09/27/15 10:47 AM

Actually Ghostrider you are not completely correct. While some play by posts do include emails. Most Multi-Player play by post use forums.

Here allow me to explain.

The typical game involves players playing one player character (just like during a table top game). Keep in mind that his is a story arc based game. There will be very little in terms of maps and figures being used. Each character will be created using the 2nd Edition Mechwarrior rules. I have often been asked why and told of the improvements to later versions of the game. While I don't take away these facts, I have two simple reasons why I choose this edition to run my Mechwarrior games. I have a wide range of books for 2nd Edition and know the system well. Also, I find that the system is very simple and mechanic light. This makes it ideal for this form of game play and in helping new players in to the game.

So once each character has been made the next step is, well actually playing the game. Each cycle the Narrator will make a game post. This posts will describe the scene, address any player interaction with NPC's and show NPC actions. Once the Narrator makes his post, the first character in the cycle will make his post, followed by the next character and so on and so on. The posting cycle normally is created by the Narrator or can be free posting depending on the type of scene. All players must post prior to the next Narrator post goes up, unless a skip is requested by a player.

DavidG, Interaction comes in three forms:
Open Role Play, meaning free posting between players and Narrator. These scenes typically are general scenes that move the story in a direction in which the party as a whole is driving it.

In-Between Play: This scene is a conversation between any player or NPC. These scenes are not Free Posting Scenes and the players must follow the posting order. Also, these scenes can take place in private or as open conversations. An In-Between scene is highly useful for plotting out an action between characters or speaking/gathering information from an NPC.

Reaction To Plot Posts: Sometimes there are scenes where you character might not have any action during a plot event. Such as an explosion, your character could see the events unfold in slow motion but were unable to stop the events. In such cases, your reaction to these events help drive the plot.

Don't worry about being able to identify the kind of scenes/posts. Aside from IN-Between Scene, the above description is kind of like how one would describe throwing a foot ball. A very technical description for a very simple task. In short, cover three things. What does your character see, hear regarding the scene. What does your character think of it. And lastly, what is his/her reaction to it.

Right now, I kind of want to keep it simple. I am looking for any class character from the Canon Universe. As much as you hate the Jihad, you are stuck with it. The party will have a dropship (Buccaneer Class), so a Dropship Captain would be a good idea.

Any other questions? Or if I missed one, please let me know.

Akira
Akirapryde2006
09/29/15 10:24 AM

Don't be shy to voice your interests in this idea. Or if you don't like the idea.

As it stands now, I would just like to get people talking about the idea of a Role Playing Game.

I know that many of you have enjoyed this universe through role playing game. Can this game work? I don't know, but I am sure it can. I have seen many online games survive and the players have a really good time with it.

So lets see what we can create.

If you are looking for more direct contact instead of a play by post game, I am open to suggestions.

Akira
vampiremessiah51
09/30/15 01:47 PM

Hey I'm definitely interested. I'm just not super up on my canon. I'll let you know when I finish up a character. Is this going to be EXACTLY the year 3130?

Edited by vampiremessiah51 (09/30/15 01:50 PM)
Akirapryde2006
09/30/15 02:05 PM

That is great to hear.

The only other player and I are talking about actually making this a real table top style of game.

Our plan is to meet on Sundays via a Media service like Google Hangouts or something. As it stands right now, this is just a suggestion/idea.

We are still (as it stands right now) looking at doing the whole Play by Post concept.

We are looking at beginning sometime near the end of this week.

We meet on KIK while working out the details. If you would like to join the conversation please contact me on KIK (Akirapryde2006)
by_the_sword
10/13/15 06:47 PM

Hello. Is it too late to get in on this game?
Akirapryde2006
10/13/15 07:45 PM

It is clearly not too late to join the game.

We are only in the opening chapter of the game. The players are just getting to know each other.

Please come and visit Our Game site on OrlandoGamers. This is where we are hosting our online role playing game.
by_the_sword
10/15/15 12:02 AM

Tried to sign up on the ste. I can't get past the damned "proove that you are a human" questions.
Akirapryde2006
10/15/15 10:24 AM

Well maybe that means you are not a human.......lol

Just kidding,

The answer is Orlando try that.

If you have further problems, by all means contact me on my KIK, Akirapryde2006

Akira
CarcerKango
10/16/15 11:27 AM

How much of a time commitment would this be O.o And would we be playing by post exclusively or would we need to be on at the same time?
Akirapryde2006
10/16/15 06:14 PM

We require a post per week.

If you go to the site posted above, you will find the thread listed as In Game Chapters (within the game called Mechwarrior: Dark Tides forum). This is where the game posts go. I suggest that you read the handful of posts that have been placed up so far. It will get you a feel for the game pace.

As for meetings online. We sometime communicate over KIK. While we don't have to be online at the same time, it is helpful during KIK conversations. These conversations are normally used for character creations or to get your questions answered.

Akira
CarcerKango
10/19/15 12:07 PM

Since my usual PBP is down, I might have some time for this...maybe I'll be an aerojock or something.
Akirapryde2006
10/19/15 06:49 PM

Well if you want to join, we are welcome. You can also just skip by and check it out.
CarcerKango
10/20/15 12:03 PM

Any particular needs you're looking to fill?
Akirapryde2006
10/20/15 06:45 PM

We could use a dropship/small craft pistol. But I would suggest reading thread and seeing what might fits you.

I am looking forward to seeing you join our game.

Akira
CarcerKango
10/21/15 10:27 AM

Roger that
CarcerKango
10/21/15 10:54 AM

Registered. Can you walk me through creating a character?
Akirapryde2006
10/21/15 06:28 PM

I sure can,

Here let me give you the basics.
We use the Mechwarrior 2nd Edition System (I choose this system for a couple of reasons. First I have the books on hand and known the rule set very well. Second, it is very rule/mechanic light, meaning it allows more focus on the story)

We have two options.

You tell me the concept of a character you have in mind. I will send you an archetype of this concept. This is the very basic frame work of the character. You tell me what changes you want to make and they are made. It takes a few days (based on my free time and how fast you get back to me) to hammer out the details.

The other option is, if you have the books and want to create your own character, than go right ahead and hammer one out. I will double check your work and point out if you have any mistakes.

Because of the nature of the game, you can still play during the character creation process.

We can start this on this site, on the game site or over KIK. It's up to you on how you want to do this.

Akira

Edited by Akirapryde2006 (10/21/15 06:30 PM)
CarcerKango
10/21/15 08:04 PM

Let's just do it here.

I don't have any of the books.

The character concept I'm going for is a rookie shuttle pilot, as per your suggestion to run a Small Craft pilot, who's pretty good in simulators but hasn't gotten in the cockpit for real until directly before this contract, when he had a live test to get certified for the mission. So he's kind of terrified of messing something up, but he hides that under a confident, smooth veneer of 'competence.' Even though he's flown a few more times, some lingering uncertainty remains. 18 years old. Name undecided.
Akirapryde2006
10/21/15 08:19 PM

The concept looks good, here, do this.

Come up with a name and jump in to the game. Alice and the Captain are heading for one of the bays. They are about to depart the ship for the Observatory and will need a pilot. Let your first post be you watching the captain and the Professor Alice Underwood walking in to landing bay. Jump in to the game by asking the Captain if there is anything you can do for him.

You need to know, that your unit was hired to protect the Scientist in the event of pirate attack. For the past few months, there has been no sign of any other human activity. So this contact has been extremely boring for the Merc Unit.

Your age will need to be 20, because of the location of where the game is taking place, just at the outer edge of the Gum Nebula (Deep Periphery). It took the jumpship almost two years to reach the location of the Observatory Station.

I will focus on putting together a basic pilot for you, this week. In the meantime, go ahead and jump in to the game.

Keep in mind, I work nights. So your day will be my middle of the nights.

Akira
CarcerKango
10/22/15 09:03 AM

Won't send me the activation email >( i've clicked the button like three times and no email. I'm sure I put my address in correctly...
CarcerKango
10/22/15 09:22 AM

Account--online
Laptop--online
Browser--online
All systems nominal.
Akirapryde2006
10/22/15 10:10 AM

lol you should be good to go.
ghostrider
10/22/15 01:37 PM

Now drop AOL and that should take care of all your online problems.

Hope things are going well. Will you have any updates on the game here. Minus any surprises they have yet to figure out?
Akirapryde2006
10/22/15 06:53 PM

Actually the game is rolling on pretty good.

Game updates? I never really thought about it. Between planning the next "surprise" and keeping the game moving forward, I am very busy.

Now, if you want to play reporter/Sarna spy (lol) I would be willing to give you behind the scenes insight.
Akirapryde2006
10/22/15 09:40 PM

@CarcerKango

I sent you the first draft of your character Archetype. Let me know what you think.

If you have a mainstream character in mind, please tell me the character name and the show that they are from so I can have a reference.
Akirapryde2006
12/27/15 07:22 PM

@BUMP

So I am going to toss this out. We lost a few able players and looking to fill the ranks.

It is my pleasure to report to the board that one of my best players is CarcerKango.

By all means, please come out his work and follow the game. If you feel so compelled, join our game.

Akirapryde

Come and visit Mechwarrior: Dark Tides

Edited by Akirapryde2006 (12/27/15 08:24 PM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 11984

Contact Admins Sarna.net