Best source of Planet Fluff

Pages: 1
Rajaat99
12/15/17 12:05 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Planet information beyond a couple of paragraphs seems pretty rare. The write ups I've found tend to focus on the terrain and the rulers. I'm looking for roleplaying elements like culture and how the populace would treat strangers. Does anyone know good sources of information like that?
Also, this got me thinking about how a planets population reacts to new rulers. Are border planet's populations so used to their planet changing hands, that they just pay their taxes and keep their heads down?
"You are not alone among strangers, a way has been chosen."
Karagin
12/15/17 07:18 PM

Best source...old Housebooks from the FASA days. Newer stuff are the TOUR OF THE STARS books that give details of different planets, found on the CGL webstore and the JIHAD Books talking about the fighting on certain worlds in the Inner Sphere.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Rajaat99
12/16/17 10:02 AM

Thank you for the info. Were those ever put in print?

Edit: I just located them on Amazon and wow, those are expensive! Except the House Kurita one. I'll have to wait and see if they become more reasonable.

Edited by Rajaat99 (12/16/17 10:22 AM)
CrayModerator
12/16/17 10:39 AM

The new "Touring the Stars" mini-publications give 2000-3000 words on the planets they review, versus the usual 200-500 words. The much more expensive A Time of War (Mechwarrior 4th edition) looks at 5 planets in similar depth, since the line developer wanted to provide players with a "boots on the ground," in-depth view of what it's like to visit and live on a selection of typical BT planets. The A Time of War Companion also has a couple of very detailed planets, as well as the simplified system generation rules. (Campaign Operations has the detailed star system generation rules, but no planets.)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Rajaat99
12/16/17 04:00 PM

Nice, I'll have to check out the "Touring the Stars" series too. So many publications and so little money. I don't think I'll buy A Time of War and the companion just for planet information. I might have to check out Campaign Operations though.
Thanks for the information. I didn't even know most of these existed!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5139

Contact Admins Sarna.net