Just how bad is MW4?

Pages: 1
Black_Phoenix
10/22/01 08:24 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have heard some bad things about MW4. The worst of which is that the criticals in a location may be used for only certain types of weapons (i.e. laser, ballistic, etc.). Are there anymore problems with the game? I was planning on buying it but I'm rethinking that after hearing about the crit. problem. Can anyone tell me if there are more problems? Such as levels that are too difficult, bad mech designs, or just small nusinces.

*There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of Diplomacy, Compromise, and High Explosives or Tactical Nuclear Strikes.*
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Bob_Richter
10/22/01 10:01 PM

*Makes a sign to ward off evil*

-Bob Richter
A dead primate is nobody's ancestor.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Nightward
10/22/01 11:46 PM

It kinda depends...on whether you want to play a game based upon BTech or a 'Mecha combat slugfest game.

If the former, it sucks. You can only load certain weapons into certain slots, you cannot get certain types of weapons, and missiles take *FRICKIN' FOREVER* to lock. That being said, you do get MRMs and those nifty Bombast lasers :)

If the latter, it is quite OK. You have to think when building your 'Mech (so no more Shadow Cats with 500 000 000 ER Small Lasers) and balance your weapons loadout. On the downside, Guass Rifles take forever to reload and tend to move quite slowly....resulting in lots of misses.

Unlike MW 3, ammo is unlmimited, so if you salvage a weapon, you can use it whenever you like.

Rather annoyingly, very few 'Mechs come in a familiar configuration. God only knows what the hell variant Shadow Cat you pilot at first, and the stock Mauler is a complete mess.

The levels are generally OK, except for the last *VIOLENT SHUDDER* where, after taking on 3 Mad Cat Mark IIs, 1 Dire Wolf, 2 Summoners, 3 Nova Cats and an Assualt DropShip you have to take on a Dire Wolf....urg.

Finally, it is a complete farce. Where the *HELL* did Katherine get her hands on cutting-edge Clan designs like the Nova Cat? How did she mass-produce the Mad Cat Mark II? And will you and your(allegedly) beautiful 2IC get together in the end? Who knows.....

Honestly, Passions has a better plot.

That being said, it is quite OK if you have nothing better to do.

I'd get a burnt copy or borrow it rather than buy it, though.

"The man who opens his mouth in the presence of a woman does so only to change feet"
-Me.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Bob_Richter
10/27/01 03:56 PM

>>>In all honesty, MW4 is a great game, or so I think. <<<

I disagree. It's one of the worst games I've seen in years. It's a mockery of the Mechwarrior title.

>>>The type-specific critical slots are good becase I, personally, was sick of playing NetMech with people who would load a Firemoth (or Dasher for all you non-clan people out there) with an AC or two then hit and run.<<<

Gods, but that's what Omnimechs are *FOR*, man!
You can do it in BATTLETECH, why shouldn't you be able to do it in MECHWARRIOR?

The type-specific slots not only MADE NO SENSE, but also deprived us of most of our familiar configurations.

>>>Another great part about it is that you can choose a bunch of your equipment, such as AMS/LAMS, Light Amplification, MASC, and so on.<<<

Light Amplification either comes standard in 'Mechs or it doesn't. In MW2 and MW3, you got it free. I am not impressed by how MW4 handled it. Nor am I impressed by them making certain level 3 items available for use and just MAKING STUFF UP. Bombast Laser....REALLY! Not only is it a stupid name, but it doesn't make any kind of real-world sense. In normal Battletech (or in MW2 and MW3), AMS is a normal weapon system, you just toss as many as you want on there.

>>>Plus, the graphics are beautiful, <<<

A matter of opinion. It seems to me that Microsoft again managed to do LESS with MORE. It requires more system resources while producing a lower graphical quality than MW3. And while the graphics engine may be top of the line (it's not, but let's say for the moment that it is), the actual ART is terrible. I can't get into a game when everything looks like a cartoon.

>>>The storyline was a bit weak, but it's easily forgotten once you get into the nitty-gritty of the game. <<<

The storyline was REALLY weak. To me, it's storyline that makes or breaks a game. That's why I still consider WC4 better than FS and FS2.

In short, don't try to tell me that MW4 was a good game: It wasn't. It's okay, if you have nothing better to do, and if you try hard not to compare it to Battletech.

-Bob Richter

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
TRYCORP
10/27/01 05:05 PM

Personally I love it, can't wait for the expansion (Pre-Ordered it). hehe if ya want in a league clan try http://www.geocities.com/PSClanPS

I trial ya in myself if I have to heh

"Machine Guns! Thats a Summoner out there! Do you plan to punch little holes in it, and have it fall down from too much ventilation!?!"

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
Bob_Richter
10/28/01 05:07 PM

>>>Yeah, if you're running at the MINIMAL configuration.<<<

Has nothing to do with configuration. Best or worst, it still does less with more. MW3's graphics were at least as good as MW4 could pull under the recommended system (IMHO), and MW3's recommended system was a few steps down the totem pole from MW4's minimum system.

-Bob Richter

Deathshadow
10/31/01 10:15 PM

It sucks. Bad. Doesn't even feel like piloting a robot after MW3. People rave about the graphics, and truth be told the engine is great, but the textures were made by somebody tripping on acid. Bright purple and green seem really out of place on an atmosphereless moon, and the little 'scenery' items seem more like something out of the original MW2 for DOS. You can't kill any organics in the scenery (deer, humans, etc.). It's great watching some poor slob wandering around take a Gauss Slug dead center and shrug it off.

Damage to mechs is nonexistant. Proof enough of that is the opening movie where it takes four mechs pouring fire nonstop for over half a minute to drop a single mech. I'm sorry, but if I hit a medium mech with three Gauss slugs dead center, that @#$%er should go down. period. There really are no differences between the weapons in it either, as they are balanced to the point of not mattering which one's which.

MW3 was a major step forward. Off boresight aiming (ability to aim not where your pointed. If you can't do that, why bother with arms?), useful but realistic jump jets (great with relaxed jets on), and relatively good translations of the weapons to the computer format. The in game textures, while somewhat flat and bland, were realistic (let's face it, life is not painted with nothing but primary colors). By comparison MW4 is a major step backwards, with the maps and textures seeming cartoonish, little or no differences between weapons, and controls that are more reminiscent of something on an old Apple IIE than a modern game.

MW4 is not battletech, that much is certain, and it's not even that good a game. Your better off trying the MPBT:3025 beta or just sticking with MW3. (without pirates moon. I just got that out of a bargain bin and what the @#$%^ing hell did they do to jump jets!?!?!?!)

Armor? Bah, that's for wussies. - Anonymous Locust-1M Pilot
Kept my cool under lock and key,
and I never shed a tear,
another sign of my condidtion.
Bob_Richter
11/01/01 12:50 AM

>>>without pirates moon. I just got that out of a bargain bin and what the @#$%^ing hell did they do to jump jets!?!?!?!<<<

Then you should know that it is NOT an add-on. Like Ghost Bear Legacy, it is simply an entirely new game that requires the MW3 CD to install (not run.) (At least Mercs dropped this idiotic pretense) I didn't notice any difference in the jump jets. But I did notice the New Belt Pirates being on the wrong side of the Inner Sphere.

-Bob Richter

SoyBigHead
11/01/01 06:38 AM

'nother thing about Pirates Moon; it runs alot slower on my old 266 then mechwarrior 3 did... and both of them were run at 640X480 (so sue me my parents are cheap) in software, and mech3 ran smoothly nough to beat the game several times... but on pirates moon as soon as i got to around the 5th mission IIRC, it just got lagged so much there was no point to playing it...

"no one, ever has the time, to listen to me, see right thru me, this is getting hard to face no one ever sees me fall, and no one cares at all, this will only make you strong" River City High, "No One Cares"
"There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
-Mark Twain
TRYCORP
11/01/01 01:50 PM

Regardless, I am just happy being behind a BattleMech.. flat out..
A.) The story line sucked.
Agreed
B.) Graphics and Physics are not the BEST in the world.
Agreed
C.) 4 Mechs pooring fire into a single, will take it down fast
Agreed, BUT it would not have been as good if he had just died.

Regardless of its flaws.. I am just happy to be piloting a mech of ANY type or quality.. while it may be a little off, they are all still Ravens, Daishis, Atlas's, and Thors.. And to me thats all that matter..

"Machine Guns! Thats a Summoner out there! Do you plan to punch little holes in it, and have it fall down from too much ventilation!?!"

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
Nightward
11/02/01 07:52 PM

As I said. it's OK if you just want to play a 'Big Robot Combat' game, but it does not really tie in well with BattleTech. I mean, we would certainly get a novel about what happened on Kentares...

But yeah, there are much better games out there-Heavy Gear 2 for instance-a game based on brainpower and stealth rather than 'Da Bigga Gunz Winz, OK?' mentality of MechWarrior...

"The man who opens his mouth in the presence of a woman does so only to change feet"
-Me.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Diablo
11/02/01 09:20 PM

Well as you stated, the critical thing is messed up. Jumpjets are useless. I don't know why they bothered putting galzed and reactive armour in. Probes don't do squat. flares, MG's, Explosives, AMS/LAMS and arty are also useless. no Ultra AC/20's some sort of "bomblast" laser which has to charge up for some reason. Pulse lasers and AC's can't be walked across targets. paint job's that just make you stand out a lot more. weapons only seem to hit the torso sections, very rarly do I hit an arm or leg and never the head. Damage is not done to mechs no matter what is used. it's basicly a 10 minute firefight between you, three AI partners versus two medium mechs that seem not to take any damage. I didn't bother with playing the game through, but I also heard it sucked. but after that it's a step up from MW2.

you lose many laughsby not laughing at yourself.
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Nightward
11/03/01 01:37 AM

No. Tolkien sucks because he is overly verbose and wastes too much time describing the scenery.

Before you accuse me of being illiterate, I read Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose" in 3 hours when I was 10 years old. I chew through David Eddings novels in about an hour and have so far read out 3 local libraries. I am hunting for good new authors, so if you have any, let me know-I'm desperate.

Of late, I have been reduced to reading "Wonder Woman" comics....oh, the humanity (weeps like a child)

-Me.
Bob_Richter
11/05/01 05:25 PM

No. JRR Tolkien is a lousy writer. He did little more than regurgitage teutonic myths and make up stories about guys with furry feet who really like eating, drinking, and smoking.
(which sounds a lot like humans, if you think about it, except they're half the height and their feet are furrier.) Yes, that's right. Tolkien's contribution to the world of fantasy was SINGULAR (the hobbit, and I don't mean the book, I mean the critter.)

[actually, TMK he was also the first to use the word "orc" to describe a particular form of large, nasty goblin, but this hardly bears mention and I can't be sure of it]

Tolkien's style was not bad, but his plots were terrible. The best plot device he could think of was starving his inane little critters every two chapters.

Tolkien doesn't get distracted by the scenery as much as some so-called "great authors", and description is a good thing in healty doses, but if all you can do to your characters is starve them, you should definately take up a different line of work.

Tolkien's singular distinction is in being one of the first to do what he was doing. Better fantasy writers by orders of magnitude have surfaced in his wake, and comparing him (an outrageously successful hack) to these true artists is an affront to the art itself.

As to MW4, it is not even AMONG the best mecha games ever produced. It's a lousy third-rate (and bewilderingly successful) attempt to further line Bill Gates's pockets with the plunder of the Battletech Universe.

I have played it multiplayer. I am not impressed. MW3 was better. (That is, over a LAN.) MPBT: 3025 IS better. (it's a far more tactical game.)

-Bob Richter

Nightward
11/05/01 09:44 PM

Ah. Thank God. Most people attempt to kill me after I dis Tolkien.

My favourite author is a close tie between Michael A. Stackpole (who writes the best BTech fiction, bar none), and David Eddings (although he needs some new plot and character ideas-Redemption of Althalus was all a 'Lets mutate Sparhawk and cross him with Talen'. It was good, but lacked the depth I have come to expect and enjoy from Eddings. He also seems to be getting overly attached to magic rocks as plot hooks).

I don't know about Tolkien being the first recognised fantasy author...the oldest and best-recognised one I know of is Thomas Mallory, who wrote le Morte d'Arthur a long time ago. Good book if you can find it.

"The man who opens his mouth in the presence of a woman does so only to change feet."
-Me.
Bob_Richter
11/05/01 09:48 PM

>>>I don't know about Tolkien being the first recognised fantasy author...the oldest and best-recognised one I know of is Thomas Mallory, who wrote le Morte d'Arthur a long time ago.<<<

Last I checked, Thomas Mallory wasn't reckognized as a fantasy author, only a myth-maker (the difference seems to be one of timing, though.)

-Bob Richter

Nightward
11/05/01 09:58 PM

Ah. I see ;)

"The man who opens his mouth in the presence of a woman does so only to change feet."
-Me.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4935

Contact Admins Sarna.net