mw4 mentions

Pages: 1
KillerGrin
12/14/02 10:40 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I may be taking the role of capt. obvious here, but eh... Apparently MW4 Venegence IS the main game, while mecenaries is a standf alone expansion, that wasn't too clear to me until I realized I needed venegence to install the mech packs, figures eh? In any event, you'd think they'd say it's some kind of expansion in the booklet or on the box. stupiud marketing goons >.< ok folks... feh yeh not discovery of the year but I'm sure there might be atleast one other person who wasn't clear on it.
"Hah! nothing says hello like a freshly removed limb, 'specially if that limb was attached to a clan masakari, and your modified annihilator just did the elective surgery.." -Steelrain
NathanKell
12/15/02 01:23 PM

MW4 Vengeance - Standalone
MW4 Black Knight - Standalone (I think)
MW4 Mercenaries - Standalone.

To use the mech pack(s), you need one of the above standalone games.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
KillerGrin
12/15/02 10:07 PM

Actually they explicitly require venegence to run, I found that out the hard way, bought the packs only to find neither will run without venegence already installed. Say is black knight anygood at all?
"Hah! nothing says hello like a freshly removed limb, 'specially if that limb was attached to a clan masakari, and your modified annihilator just did the elective surgery.." -Steelrain
Toastrider
12/15/02 10:53 PM

In reply to:

Say is black knight anygood at all?

It's pretty good, although it picks up from only one of the 'branches' from MW4:V. Which can be jarring if you finished Vengeance on the other path.

New Mechs: Uller (30t), Wolfhound (35t), Ryoken (55t), Black Knight (75t), Sunder (90t).

New Equipment: AC/20, Ultra AC/10, Ultra AC/20, Clan Ultra AC/10, Clan Ultra AC/20, Cluster Bomb (like Long Tom), X-Pulse Lasers.

New vehicles: Demolisher II, Quad Panzer, Myrmidon, Nightwind VTOL, Stiletto aerofighter.

Pretty much more of the same. If you liked MW4:V, you'll like Black Knight.

--Toasty
"The survivors, not the victors, write the history books."
Toastrider
12/15/02 10:57 PM

According to the MW4: Black Knight manual, page 5:

In reply to:

To install MechWarrior 4: Black Knight

1. Ensure MechWarrior 4: Vengeance is installed on your computer. This is required to run MechWarrior 4: Black Knight.

So it's an expansion pack, like Starcraft: Brood War, and not a standalone game.

--Toasty
NathanKell
12/15/02 11:22 PM

Whoops!
Thanks.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
KillerGrin
12/18/02 12:56 AM

I ended up getting it yesterday, the storyline is a bit whacked though I mean, you start out hunting pirates, the stiers hire you to beat up on the dresarris one of whom (ian) you played in venegence became the tirant he hated had his Sis axed and has been giving the finger to anyone unloyal, so your there the stieners betray you kill of your cmmander (Lawhorn) and then yer left to beat the snot outta the dressari? (mind you I haven't actually finished the game) anyone find that so off kilter that it makes some sense...
Toastrider
12/18/02 11:58 AM

It does get a little confusing. Although Steiner backstabbing your unit is more or less in line with Lyran behavior during the Civil War (re: Vanguard Legion, Snord's Irregulars).

Though I found other inconsistencies far more annoying. The time, for example. The actions on Kentares (MW4:V, MW4:BK) take place at an unspecified time AFTER 3070. Either FASA was expecting the Civil War to drag on longer, or someone screwed up at Microsoft.

--Toasty
KillerGrin
12/23/02 11:21 PM

I agree, I dont get it either much like I dont get how so many Clan mechs are in less then regualr army (IS) hands... I mean sure there plausibly could be a blackmarket or something... but I doubt it Some other things just bugged me... but it's a fun game to whittle the boredom away

Vapor
12/26/02 03:44 AM

As far as Clan 'Mech availability in the IS goes, the only way to obtain a Clan 'Mech, let alone parts and/or ammo for it, is through capturing them in a raid, salvaging them from a battlefield, or purchasing it off the blackmarket. The third option is prohibitively expensive.

The reason that these are the only ways to obtain Clan Tech, is that the Clans do not sell 'Mechs. 'Mechs are made for the military to use, and therefore the only people who have access to 'Mechs are those in the warrior caste. Since the Clans have such a contemptuous view of the IS (generally speaking), they will be extremely reluctant, if they don't downright refuse, to allow their 'Mechs to be available to the IS. While this does not mean Clan 'Mechs are not available at all, it does mean that they are not at all common in any IS unit.

As far as MW4 goes, I have said this before, and I will say it again. lol Microsoft took quite a few liberties when they made the game. I like the game, I enjoy playing it, but there are parts of it that don't exactly jive with the BT universe. The proliferation of Clan 'Mechs in the game is one of those parts. It is conceivable that the chassis were captured/salvaged during battles, but the number available makes me think that Microsoft just liked those designs and tossed them into the game just because they could.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Grizzly
12/26/02 03:16 PM

Actually Clan Diamond Shark does sell clan mechs, albeit stripped down ones, to the Inner Sphere. The Ha Otoko and Madcat MKII being the ones specifically mentioned in the fiction and TRO's.
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Vapor
12/27/02 02:31 AM

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. I shall keep that in mind next time I need an overweight Madcat.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
KillerGrin
12/27/02 07:29 PM

makes good sense.... -.- though that would explain why the most common clan mech seen in game is the mad cats, followed by vultures and the occasional thor and or loki.... shame the mech packs dont allow you to use the new add-on mechs in the actual missions in the campaigns...
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4240

Contact Admins Sarna.net