Star Trek steals BT technology?

Pages: 1
McKennsy
03/26/03 08:41 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Well not really, but this picture from the Star Trek card game reminded me of a Jumpship with it's solar sails unfurled.

http://www.decipher.com/startrek/cardlists/themotionpictures/large/122injectorassemblyone.html

What do ye think?

Cheers,

McKennsy.
Vapor
03/29/03 04:45 AM

Damn, it's been a while since I played that game. I still can't believe I let one of my friends talk me into trading my Enterprise card for his best Romulan deck.

In regards to your question: The jumpship sail and that ship's sail are both used for the same basic principle (collecting energy) so I would guess they would be similar in appearance.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
McKennsy
03/29/03 12:34 PM

Have you tried the second edition of the game? It plays much faster than the original and there's no annoying 15 minute set up. I'd recommend giving it a go. A starter and a few boosters are all you need to make a competative deck.

Cheers,

McKennsy.
Vapor
03/30/03 02:43 AM

I used to play several CCG's. Start Trek, Star Wars (I have Darth Vader's SSD, though I can't remember it's name. I refused to let my friend talk me into trading him that one), Magic: The Gathering, and (of course) MechWarrior.

However, it has been several years since I played any of them, and I'm not sure I really remember how to anymore. Was the card you showed the link to from the 2nd edition ST:CCG? If so, then that's what I played, since the card layout looks exactly like what I had.

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
McKennsy
04/01/03 07:27 PM

That card is from 1st edition. A cool game but with a tonne of rules attatched. I recommend 2nd edition. Easy to learn, easy to play and even easier to teach.

Cheers,

McKennsy.
Vapor
04/02/03 04:47 AM

I might have to take a look, then.

neochu
04/11/03 12:44 PM

the Tech is the same but the use is diffrent in Star trek the use their main MAM reactors to create a similer KF field but inb BT they use solar sales for this (as it is lees demanding then using 100;s of tons of fuel fore a single jump)
the sip in the card uses the sail as a Staionary collector that does not use all the power is collects
Vapor
04/12/03 11:35 AM

I don't think the technology is the same. Mainly because the Star Trek warp drive enables a ship to actually travel at speeds faster than light, whereas the K-F drive in BattleTech basically brings two points in space together and the ship passes directly from one point to another.

What I was referring to being similar was the uses for the sail. Both in Star Trek and BattleTech, the ships use the sail for the same purpose, to collect energy (albeit collecting different kinds of energy).

neochu
04/14/03 06:47 PM

No matter which way the idea is used Both drive use the same principles. <b>bend two points between space through the use of a hyperspace tunnel(wormhole)</b> the difference is the Starships in Star Track can go for a virtually unlimited distance and time because of the power plant they use. In battle tech the Jumps are limited to five minutes and take almost a week to charge and they are limited to 30 Light years. In relation to what I have said before Because of this M/AM reactor in Star track they do not need to use a Solar sail for FTl travel like in Battle tech that ship on the card is a power plant for other ships to use

as for FTL: velocity is relative from one point to another in a certain amount of time Ftl is defined by a greater relative distance/ time than 300,000m/s a 30 light year jump in five minutes or 4 light years in a few minutes(here to nearest star) is over this lmit science no object can travel faster than light there must be a use of hyper space with this 30 light years can be turned into an actual distance of a few atomic diameters
Bob_Richter
04/16/03 02:21 PM

...The Star Trek technology is signifcantly different.

It creates a small pocket universe where it actually CAN go faster than the speed of light, while the Battletech technology makes two points the same long enough to pass off a ship between them.

The difference? A Star Trek ship occupies EVERY POINT on a line between its starting point and its destination. A Battletech ship occupies NO intervening points between its departure and arrival.

Star Trek ships can also steer during the journey.

-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Rotwang
05/10/03 07:21 PM

I wonder what would happen if you took a Trek ship and sent it flying into a planet at say warp 5 ...
Bob_Richter
05/11/03 01:24 PM

Er.

That's never been dealt with in the series. I suspect it would be considerably less troublesome than a ship actually impacting a planet at x times the speed of light, but everyone aboard would probably still be killed, and the planet would be pretty thrashed, too.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
Rotwang
05/12/03 06:38 PM

I dunno if E=MC2 is applicable here, but something hitting a planet at the speed of light is indeed going to do major damage. So a warp shuttle becomes a potenital planet buster, unless they come up with some explanation that Warp is pseudo velocity and an impact would cause minimal damage.
Bob_Richter
05/13/03 05:21 AM

pseudo-velocity.

A warp-field bends space and propels the ship at ridiculous speeds by distorting the spacetime continuum.

The ship's moving at near-zero velocity inside its own internal frame of reference.

I think if you ran into a planet at Warp 5, the warp field would just collapse and leave you hurtling toward it at minimal (but still lethal) speeds.

Thus why noone warps in too close to planets.

Vapor
05/16/03 06:09 AM

Actually, the reason why noone warps in too close to planets is because the warp drive tends to have rather nasty accidents if it is engaged within a gravity well.

IIRC, the initial warp drive concept was nearly canned when they tried to test-fire it on the moon and it ended up vaporizing a small section of it. Or something like that. Or maybe I'm thinking of a different sci-fi universe. God, I can't keep these things straight.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6730

Contact Admins Sarna.net