[off topic, game design in general] gamasutra article on "Cognitive Flow: The Psychology of [...]"

Pages: 1
NeverSayNever
04/01/12 05:32 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I just stumbled upon the following article at gamasutra:

"Cognitive Flow: The Psychology of Great Game Design"
by Sean Baron, March 22, 2012

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/166972/cognitive_flow_the_psychology_of_.php

[note: Please don't miss the comments section below the article.]

Just some food for thought ...

Have a nice day / night.

P.S.: The following comment / prediction from "Thomas Nocera" at gamasutra made me smirk:
Quote:

Thomas Nocera, 26 Mar 2012 at 6:03 pm PST

If I may offer this prediction: Coming in a next gen console game will be invisible, seamless and highly interactive processes designed and lab tested to keep gamers playing within their own unique "flow envelope" leading to more of the kind of game play experience where one loses their sense of time. The technology will utilize the camera in the console (or the camera already built into a pc or tablet) which will be linked to an imbedded software track running linearly within the game. The camera is tweaked to "read" and instantly interpret the gamers' facial expressions - driven by algorithms - which will trigger subtle, or not so subtle, game modifications - for example: increasing or, slowing the pace of the action; scaling up or down the difficulty of tasks, the moment a gamers' expression indicates the onset of boredom, or begins to show signs of becoming frustrated; or, provides new stimulus as gamers approach a desired state of rapt engagement (riding the flow). All the key components for automating this sort of game play flow- enhancement technology is already developed and just waiting to be implemented.

In other words: "Big brother might be watching you", either now - or in the near future, my fellow human gaming guinea pigs ...

Hmmm, where did I put that kinect thing ...?

What could be next in the lands of additional gaming periphery?

Man sized hamsterwheels with built in gyroscope, integrated cup holder and food pellet dispenser, everything hooked up via USB port and fitness app to report back to the computer and or a server?

WoW, think about all the new possibilities, like truly immersive corpse / mission runs in MMOs, with players frantically spinning their mansized hamsterwheels and using their MMO corpse / mission run as a personal fitness trainer ...

Or how about user specific, in game advertising to make you want to drink from that softdrink in your intelligent USB cupholder which reports back which softdrink you currently like and or drink (e.g. Pepsi / Coke / Seven-Up / whatever?) via scanning the bar code of the can ...

Or how about getting some pork rind snack rations from your USB food pellet dispenser device every time you kill and skin a boar in your favorite MMO?

Utterly ridiculous, nobody would ever buy such additional gaming periphery?

Maybe, but who knows?

I thought nobody would ever buy a USB rocket launcher device firing small plastic missiles but guess what?

sample picture:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/frontsquare/8a0f_usb_rocket_launcher.jpg

"Cubicle warfare just got an upgrade":

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/8a0f/

Quote:

Oh Noes! This Product is Out of Stock

We're sorry, this product is not available for purchase at this time. But all hope is not lost, young padawan! You can still keep in the know on this and possibly pick it up in the future.

I must have been wrong because somebody must have bought this or it wouldn't be out of stock already, correct?

Hmm, wait a sec, mansized hamsterwheel made of polished, chrome-plated steel with integrated USB device to monitor pulse, blood pressure, current fat burning ratio, etc. (e.g. simply convert some electronics equipment from other, already existing fitness devices), market as some new, stylish, high tech gadget to replace oldfashioned, boring fitness devices, like steppers and such, hmm, couple that with some TV advertising, put a sexy, perfectly tanned and trained female model wearing a tight running dress into the mansized hamster wheel - and don't forget to let her sweat and bounce seductively in slow motion while the camera zooms in for a close-up [Remember the old saying? - "Sex sells."], produce the whole mansized hamsterwheel thing including electronics for cheap in China and sell the finished and polished product to people who want something new and stylish ...

Guess what? - I've seen equally strange or even stranger ideas come true already ...

spoiler space

Happy 1st of April everyone ...

Have a nice day / night.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4061

Contact Admins Sarna.net