Miniature Selection

Pages: 1
wolf_lord_30
10/12/18 11:02 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I haven't posted this on boardgamegeek, although I may be able to get better responses there. I just don't feel like signing up for yet another site. Blah.

I am looking for minis to use for my AvP The Hunt Begins game. I got it a few months back to try out as it was on sale and I like the Predator franchise. Aliens are decent too, but just not into them the same. So I have come up with an idea to tweak a few of the rules and play it with just the Predators and humans. But I do not want the sci fi marines. I want minis of modern day people.

Military miniatures are rather easy to find, and in some forms, that could extend to assault teams, such as SWAT, just depends on the paint job. What I am looking for I have a hard time finding. I want detectives, hunters, regular police, anarchists and criminals., which could just as easily be people with guns. In this way I could recreate the first and second movies. Also, it would allow me to explore the universe with ordinary people being hunted and fighting back, not being limited to military or even the cops.

I have done searches before with limited success and Ebay has a few items I could use, but it is still not quite what I want. So if anyone has any suggestions for where to buy miniatures of modern people, I would appreciate any help.
ghostrider
10/13/18 05:30 PM

The scale might be off, so this may not work, but maybe checking out the holiday scenes, Even any people used in model train scenery may work.

Hope this helps.
Karagin
10/15/18 10:34 AM

There are tons of things out there that you can use, for example if you need buildings, get some plaster of pairs and mix it up pour it into the sauce containers that you get at McDonalds or BK or other fast food places and you have buildings that are roughly the scale of BT and look nice once painted.

Card board boxes that some medicine come in can sub for buildings as well with some paint and tape. Also there are sites that offer 3D printed items from vehicles to buildings to trees to walls, all set in the 6mm to 10mm scale that BT floats in.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
wolf_lord_30
10/15/18 10:06 PM

Not bad ideas. I haven't seen model trains and accessories in years, but I don't think they are the right scale. I need 25 mm or 1:64. Thanks for the input though.

I did find some West Wind minis that are SWAT. And they come in 4 per blister. Not a bad find. AMD there are some minis made by Mongoose Publishing that are actually some street gangs for Judge Dredd. Those would easily work for criminals, punks, thugs, and regular people pushed over the edge by the hunt.

I honestly forgot about needing terrain. I was so focused on the miniatures, I never thought of what else I would need to continue to alter the game. A new landscape to play in is definitely a must. A sci fi ship's corridor just is not quite the right feel. Well, not completely true. It could work as some derelict factory or even a modern ship.
Karagin
10/16/18 01:09 AM

Model train stuff can work, but depends on the scale, N scale is what Battletech is, smaller to just at medium in size. If you can find a good hobby store that carries train stuff they can help you. Where I am at, we have one hobby store that is nothing but models, RC Cars and planes and train stuff. The guy running has all the Woodland Scenic stuff you could want.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they have a lot of the Woodland Scenic stuff, along with other things that can be used.

If you need proxy mechs for home designs, then check out the CAV mechs, they currently have a kickstarter going on and you get an awesome amount of stuff from their kickstarters and the cool thing is when Reaper and Talon Games does a kickstarter, they actually FOLLOW THROUGH with it. I have backed two of their CAV Kickstarters and have gotten everything that was offered for the amount I put in. Great miniatures and a lot of fun and have allowed me to have proxies for my BT stuff that is home made aka mechs, tanks, fighters etc...also CAV is a fun game to play as well.

I have also been using YouTube for videos on how to make terrain and such, and found some great ones, using stuff around the house aka trash can be converted into all kinds of things.
Karagin

CarcerKango
10/16/18 10:34 AM

Seconding the model railroad people idea, N scale as Karagin stated. If you buy in bulk unpainted they're really cheap, too.
ghostrider
10/16/18 12:10 PM

The BMR book suggests using styrofoam to cut out levels of terrain. It may be the quick way to do so still, or maybe cheaper way. Not sure if the company is still around, but there was one that advertised they had basic modules of terrain for not only Battle Tech, but other war games, including D&D.
May well help with the scenery, as you could poke trees and such into the styrofoam to keep them in place.
Karagin
10/16/18 07:32 PM

Styrofoam can work for hills and such, the pink installation foam at Lowes or Home Depot or local hardware store is good, just don't use spray paint on it, the stuff will eat the foam. I have a lot of hills made that way, but at the same time, using the molds from Woodland Scenic allows for more realistic looking items.

You can make things out of cardboard as well, as I said YouTube offers TONS of useful videos on how to make all kinds of terrain.
Karagin

wolf_lord_30
10/21/18 03:37 PM

Yeah, I used to make Warhammer terrain out of styrofoam and the pink installation foam. We found out the hard way about spray paint eating that stuff right up. That pink foam was excellent though, you could carve it up, and then add a layer of plaster or spackle even and then spray paint it and paint it up.

I finally found a couple decent sites for the minis I want. 25mm scale (28 mm gets the people a little too big in comparison to the Predators).

West Wind puts out some decent stuff and you can go to there site, which is in the UK, so it is pounds instead of dollars, but worldwide shipping was only 6.50 pounds, not too bad. Old Glory Miniatures is a US based company and also has West Wind products.

They have blister packs of 4 police, 4 SWAT with shotguns, assault rifles, snipers or commanders and even motorcycle cops, and redneck militia.

And miniature market carries a detective for Savage World Bones.

Now all I need are Dutch and Lt. Harrigan.

So I think I have the resources I need to make a modern era variation of AvP: The Hunt Begins.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5301

Contact Admins Sarna.net