Consider this situation:

Pages: 1
Nightward
08/10/02 11:57 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
As part of my degree program, I am doing Microbiology labs. We are working with a variety of bacteria, some vicious, some not. Anyway, on Thursday:

Guy to my right: Oh, crap.
Me: What?
Guy to my right: Oh, nothing. I just spilt this stuff everywhere.
(I look at the aliquot bottle has has spilt.)
Me: Oh. That's...oh. OK...
(I grab the antibacterial and start spraying)

Anybody else familiar with Golden Staph.?

gnARGH!

Where the *HELL* do these people come from? How the *HELL* do they make it past puberty without ever drinking from a bottle with a skull and crossbones on it? The thought of this cretin (and the millions like him who populate the planet) being allowed into the gene pool is frightening! Even *IF* they are just allowed in the shallow end, with floaties!

Urg. Rant ended. I could go on (I have been partnered with a variety of idiots for my lab sessions) but I will turn the floor over to you. What stupid things has the twerp next to you done to endanger your life lately? Share the idiocy...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
SoyBigHead
08/11/02 02:35 AM

well back in good ole 8th grade...my partner spilt sulfuric acid all over my hands when we were doing the experiment of hydrogen produced from the action of the acid on magnesium filings. yep that was fun. needless to say i handled all the chemicals after that one.
"There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
-Mark Twain
Nightward
08/11/02 05:51 PM

Ethidium Bromide is another good one...as is the 16(!) Molar Hydrochloric Acid we used last year...pH 1.2, anyone? No?

Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
CrayModerator
08/12/02 07:19 AM

I recently got rid of some jeans that kept 18 molar nitric acid off me in a college chem lab. That was my own bad, but a small one (about a square centimeter of material was lost).

I have seen the interior of a chemical vapor deposition furnace melted down after the power was turned on without turning on the cooling water (not my bad). It had an operating temperature way above the melting point of the stainless steel gas injector. Replacing the custom-made gas injector and metal-splattered, cracked graphite heating element ran around $13,000.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Black_Phoenix
08/12/02 09:10 AM

Ahh, the joys of stupid people. Can't live with them, can't shoot them.

I have never seen anyone do something that stupid before, but I have seen people overheat a beaker and cause it to break. I do not think that anyone has had a serious injury in anyone of my schools recently. My high school (or what was) still has a shower in the chem lab, just in case.
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

KamikazeJohnson
08/12/02 02:54 PM

A couple yahoos in my chem class back in HS used to deliberately hold the butane burners nearly upside-down while lighting them in order to end up with a flame thrower...I saw about an 8' flame out of one of those things, once
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Nightward
08/12/02 05:01 PM

Ye gods.
novakitty
08/12/02 06:11 PM

"Can't live with them, can't shoot them."

Though a reasonable line, "Can't live with them, can't shoot enough of them to make a difference," is a bit more accurate.
meow
Nightward
08/12/02 06:21 PM

Yup. Ever read Scott Adams (the guy who does Dilbert)? He calls them "Induhviduals"...
Greyslayer
08/12/02 06:29 PM

One chick when I went to high school once tried to light a match for about 40-50 seconds while she had the bunsen burner still on and the regulator open down the bottom. When she finally did manage to light the match she blew the bunsen burner about a foot when a large flame shot from the side of the thing. Darwin would be so proud

Greyslayer
novakitty
08/12/02 10:34 PM

meow
Karagin
08/12/02 10:58 PM

Here is one from back in seventh grade...yes I know that was a long time ago but once you read what happen you will understand why I remember it...

We were doing labs using the microscopes and somehow a pair of tweezer got stuck into the eletrical socket...the two girls that were using the station where this happen got into a yelling match over who did it, and finial the red head got so mad she just reaches over and pulls them out...well needless to say she got one hell of a shock and got in a lot of trouble...the next day in English class she had a little accident...she wet her pants. From what we got told by her later the shock did something to her system...

Needless to say she got picked on about this for a good number of months...but we all learned an important lesson that day...DON'T MESS AROUND WITH ctricity.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Spartan
08/13/02 12:38 AM

Well I never had my life threatened by any of the stupids but once in Chem lab my numbskull partner decided to keep dumping out the solution he had just measured into test tubes because when he held them the level in the tubes wasn't quite level with each other. Nevermind he had just pipeted them off and that test tubes can vary slightly. Because of him a lab that should have taken 2 hours took 3 and half.

End of rant.

Begining of scary theory. Anyone remember the bell curve? It's actually a tool to estimate statistical distribution. So for intelligence what it basically shows is that, while most people fall within the range of average intelligence, half of the population is nevertheless less intelligent than the other.

My friend and I have a theory: When given a set of options, A{i}, where i>1, a person, P, will choose the option that makes the least sense. We still see more proof of it than against.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
KamikazeJohnson
08/13/02 01:17 AM

>>Begining of scary theory. Anyone remember the bell curve? It's actually a tool to estimate statistical distribution. So for intelligence what it basically shows is that, while most people fall within the range of average intelligence, half of the population is nevertheless less intelligent than the other. <<

Yeah...scary to think that more than half the world's population is below average intelligence!
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
SoyBigHead
08/13/02 02:01 AM

so if we count the continents of Asia and North America...well we know Asias smarter. (has anyone ever SEEN a less intelligent asian???)
-Mark Twain
Bob_Richter
08/13/02 03:59 AM

That's racial stereotyping, and I resent it.

Besides, I'm smarter than MOST asians I meet.
And white guys.
And black guys.

Heck, pretty much everybody. But that's only 'cause I'm such a bloody genius.
(j/k, BTW)
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
CrayModerator
08/13/02 07:20 AM

Wow...7th Grade...I only stuck metallic objects in electrical sockets with my bare hands when I was, like, 18 months old (blew me out of the room, backflipping me into the suddenly dark hallway). After that, I learned to drop them across partially exposed plugs without holding on (hah, managed to short out the wiring for that wing of the house without a scratch!)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
novakitty
08/13/02 08:34 AM

"When given a set of options, A{i}, where i>1, a person, P, will choose the option that makes the least sense. We still see more proof of it than against. "

My observations are almost the same, except that it is the choice that is in the specific person's own worst interest that is chosen a statistical majority of the time. Often others suffer because the worst choice for one tends to have a larger area of effect that just the person.
meow
Karagin
08/13/02 12:40 PM

No one said the girl was very bright...:D...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
MadWolf
08/13/02 01:53 PM

Dumb@$$ things that have happened to me?

A friend of mine is a Black-Powder hunter, he decided to try and make his own gunpowder. Sulfer, charcol, metal filings, ETC....

However the day he was doing so he invited me over. Knowing that he was in his garage I just went straight in. Realizing that he was smoking and attempting do do this with this other black powder stuff around him, I RAN back out. He came out afer me asking me what my problem was. I Hit him. Hard. When he spit out his cigerette and I picked it up, The lights went off in his head, and he went back to work.

I now have the saying, " If you smell sulfer, where you are standing is mostlikely the one place you do not want to be. "

He never did make the bowder work
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Black_Phoenix
08/13/02 02:10 PM

True enough. Stupid people are like the TV producers in one episode of the Simpons. You can kill one, but two more take his place.
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

Black_Phoenix
08/13/02 02:14 PM

>>Heck, pretty much everybody. But that's only 'cause I'm such a bloody genius.>>

Yeah, just like Wile E. Coyote (super genius).

SoyBigHead
08/13/02 10:04 PM

hehe dont make me smack you with a large trout. sides who knows how much brainpower went into developing ramen noodles? best noodles dish i ever ate yum yum :-D
-Mark Twain
ErichRaulfestone
08/17/02 12:43 PM

Oh no!!! Not the infamous large trout!!! NOOOO!!!!!!
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

......and I went......
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7963

Contact Admins Sarna.net