Hmmm carrot powered light-bulbs

Pages: 1
Greyslayer
10/10/02 12:31 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2314885.stm

This is an article on research into making a battery from scraps or in the lingo used a 'bio-battery'. This would be a more technical approach to some other more 'large scale' power production I recently saw being deomonstrated on television.

This other method was placing a methane power plant on the site of rubbish tips. The power plant uses the gases produced by the micro-organisms under the ground to generate power for several years to thousands of homes, but again it is just having micor-organisms generate power one way or the other.

Anyone want to comment on this or other biological methods of power production?

Greyslayer .... carrot powered mechs? Now that would be an AGROMECH
Nightward
10/10/02 05:40 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Heh. Cool. I've seen small bulbs run off of citrus fruits, such as Lemons and Oranges because of the acid in them, but I did not imagine them being able to create microbial batteries like this. Nifty.

The Methane plant idea has been tossed around for a while. Other variants on the idea include putting one up over a herd of cows (or politicians, but cows are cheaper ) to obtain the same effect.

One extremely out-there idea I have heard advanced (it was probably a joke, but I kinda liked the thought) was strapping cats into a giant wheel which rotates over glass rods, creating a static effect. Cat power! (For those who are wondering, I am allergic [violently, hideously allergic] to cats. Cats are, of course, able to sense this and immediately crawl all over me. Thus, I hate cats.)

Some have also suggested employing people to run on a treadmill to generate power with the electromagnetic effect.

I also heard on the radio a few days ago that the NSW government was looking at building a massive solar energy farm. IRC, it would be 7 km wide and 1k high. That's pretty damn big.

Anyway, that's what I think

Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2632

Contact Admins Sarna.net