HBS Battletech

Pages: 1
wolf_lord_30
06/03/18 08:37 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Overall, I really do enjoy this game. Sure, there are a few things I would like to see implemented with future expansions. I have all sorts of ideas floating around that I think would be great. Which is probably true of just about anyone who has played the game. We all have our own take and ideas that we think would make the game better. The storyline is interesting, solid writing and has enough seriousness, political intrigue and grit to make almost any old Battletech fan happy.

It's this storyline that could have been done different. Sure, we're in the periphery where no harm can be done to the universe. It's easy to make a new faction, it's under used and a small unit of mercs get to be heroes. But, unless you get a mod, you're restricted from traveling around the Inner Sphere until the gameis over. You are tied to the Aurigan Reach. I would have liked to see a small merc company growing in the Sarna March. Could've been fighting for a local government that wanted independence. Or a corporation needing systems taken under their control for neutrality purposes. Or caught up in the middle of planets being seized by one faction and setting up a couple of the great houses to go at each other's throats. Plenty of what ifs and ideas.

But this could've set up your mercs to travel around the Inner Sphere more freely in the beginning. Maybe even choosing a great House to contract out with long term, or play all sides and profit from the wars that plague the system. Still could've been a storyline, maybe one with a few branching paths, but instead of all this taking place in the periphery, it would've been where you had the chance as mercs to choose your own side, whether it was with a House or yourself.
AmaroqStarwind
06/03/18 11:32 PM

I'm starting to get burned out on always playing as Mercenaries in the various BattleTech videogames. I want to play as Clanners again, or AFFS, or Kerensky Forbid, even the Capellan Confederation.

Heck, I'm so starved for variety that I'd play Word of Blake if the opportunity presented itself.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
06/04/18 12:42 AM

The big problem with playing in the IS, may well be the fact that a single lance would not stand a chance against most of the foes they would be sent out to engage. The original computer game was a simple lance on lance to deal with an objective. One mission, on strike.
Trying a real length campaign like mech commander could not really be done by a single lance. Mech commander does allow for more mechs, though the weight thing is stupid.
As for the other mechwarrior games, they still stick with the lance concept, but do have supporting units that draw what most would consider the main heat.

So setting up a story for the heroes in an area that you can't just ship in units, but start off with a finite amount is conceivable, though too often used.
Then again, actually running a real campaign isn't what gamers want. Trying to locate a ppc you had blown off the mech you drive isn't something people normally want to deal with. They want instant action.

I would agree the Chaos march would be a good location to deal with as well, but the games do not really go beyond the limited missions. Being able to build an empire is not what any of the games are meant to do, yet I know a few that would love the ability to do so. Even a full company of mechs or even a combat team of company size, with full support of infantry, armor and mechs would be a nice change.
And having a full series come out that you can use those units on different worlds would be great. The DLC's are not as appealing, as not everyone had the space on some of their systems like the xbox with 4 gigs only.

Trying to follow a story line goes astray when people try to do things that the story doesn't allow. Why can't I take over or strip the bases I take of all supplies? The turrets would help me avoid having to purchase those weapons or allow me to further increase my bases defenses.

But then having companies decide to do the whole series at once, and release the next chapter before they bleed the old one dry would help.
AmaroqStarwind
06/04/18 07:48 PM

Perhaps a mission/campaign editor?

ghostrider
06/04/18 10:17 PM

Some of us are not good enough to actually come up with missions ourselves. Frustration levels cause damaged equipment.
Oh I mean, not being able to make something worth a damn.

But I could actually see a campaign with the same area being fought over several times. A simple raid to start with, then defend against the enemy moving in. They start battles that could flow either way.
But that is a problem with making them. Something simple, like a raid fails. It is hard to change a story line because one person lost their mech to a lucky shot. Or not enough time.
The idea that an annihilator is not something you use when you got five minutes to hit and get out. But there will be those that want to try.

And with all the viruses, trojans, and just malicious coding out there, down loading player made missions makes me wonder if I will have even more issues with the system.

But for those that can do it, the editor is probably a great way to go.
AmaroqStarwind
06/05/18 03:30 PM

If the mission editor and mission gallery were implemented directly into the game, and you didn't actually get to program your own stuff but instead only had access to tools available within the editor itself, then you wouldn't be able to hide viruses and the like in there. And also, wouldn't be able to upload files you made if the editor detected it was modified with an external program, or if the editor itself was modified/not up to date.

wolf_lord_30
06/06/18 10:01 AM

Quote:
The big problem with playing in the IS, may well be the fact that a single lance would not stand a chance against most of the foes they would be sent out to engage. The original computer game was a simple lance on lance to deal with an objective. One mission, on strike.
Trying a real length campaign like mech commander could not really be done by a single lance. Mech commander does allow for more mechs, though the weight thing is stupid.
As for the other mechwarrior games, they still stick with the lance concept, but do have supporting units that draw what most would consider the main heat.

So setting up a story for the heroes in an area that you can't just ship in units, but start off with a finite amount is conceivable, though too often used.
Then again, actually running a real campaign isn't what gamers want. Trying to locate a ppc you had blown off the mech you drive isn't something people normally want to deal with. They want instant action.

I would agree the Chaos march would be a good location to deal with as well, but the games do not really go beyond the limited missions. Being able to build an empire is not what any of the games are meant to do, yet I know a few that would love the ability to do so. Even a full company of mechs or even a combat team of company size, with full support of infantry, armor and mechs would be a nice change.
And having a full series come out that you can use those units on different worlds would be great. The DLC's are not as appealing, as not everyone had the space on some of their systems like the xbox with 4 gigs only.

This is true, except for you do have more than a single lance. Yes, you start out with a lance, but this can be upgraded in time to have 18 mechs and 24 mechwarriors. You just only ever use a single lance at a time.

As far as the finite resources and can't ship a lot of stuff in, we're already doing that in game.
I don't believe in running an empire when you're a merc, so that thought never crossed my mind. I'd rather have the game tell me what my options are and choose the one I want to go with. I was running with the idea that you were hired by some faction to help stake their claim in the March. If you want a 4X game, that's fine, but I was not considering that at all.

This game isn't out for the Xbox and the way tech is nowadays, I don't see people only having a 4 gig Xbox anymore. And as far as my PC, if I don't want certain games, I delete them if I need extra room. I can't believe how many games I have that I got because they were good deals, or I thought I was in the mood for, that are now deleted and hidden in my library. Or I used to play them and now just don't like them the same.
wolf_lord_30
06/06/18 10:08 AM

Quote:
I'm starting to get burned out on always playing as Mercenaries in the various BattleTech videogames. I want to play as Clanners again, or AFFS, or Kerensky Forbid, even the Capellan Confederation.

Heck, I'm so starved for variety that I'd play Word of Blake if the opportunity presented itself.

I think that mercs are the safe choice to try to make enough people happy. But I agree with you. And I don't see anything wrong with playing as the Capellans. I like them well enough for their own reasons, even if their leaders tend to be a little on the crazy side. I don't know if clans would be my first choice, but it definitely could add some variety. A single star moving in on some IS worlds at the beginning of the invasion.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Frabby, BobTheZombie, Cray, Nic Jansma 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5464

Contact Admins Sarna.net