What got everyone started with BattleTech?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Daryk
05/14/04 09:39 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
A friend of mine bought the boxed set sometime around 1986, and I initially liked the game because the odds were so easy to calculate. I really got into it in college, and played a couple of tournaments around 1990-1991. I won the Northeast Regional by a fluke, because the one guy who beat me early on ended up with slightly fewer overall points than I garnered in the loser's bracket (I managed to withdraw my Wolverine from the field early enough to deny his Hunchback a "full kill", and I suspect his opponents in the winner's bracket did much the same). That guy was the fastest calculator of odds I've ever seen. It was almost like playing speed chess with him, and I have to admit trying to keep up with him unnerved me. We actually finished our round so early that we had time to settle a side bet (stock Jenner vs. Wolfhound) while the rest of the players finished up. A game I ran at Council of Five Nations actually led to my meeting my wife. She saw me standing on a chair, steadily losing my voice directing initiative for a company on company scenario, and three years later we were married. I drifted away a bit after college because of the introduction of the Clans, and real life military limitations. I found an e-mail 3025 game a few years ago and have managed to avoid ticking off the GM too much since. We've advanced to the 3030 time frame so far, and he's promised not to inflict the Clans on us.
Girad_Setzer_Garamonde
05/17/04 08:39 PM

I got my papa to buy me mechwarrior 1 when it came out, because the box art was pretty, and he had a dos computer. i was 4. i started trying to learn the components and structure of the battlemech when i was 13, but never found the sources. i also nerver had the time to go out and buy a tech readout or anything... or the money. well, i've been playing for 14 years, and i'm only 18... i feel like a geek now...
Death_Fire
05/18/04 12:20 PM

Quote:

well, i've been playing for 14 years, and i'm only 18... i feel like a geek now...

You got it easy! you feel like a geek, I am a geek. I'm only 16. ever since I corrected my teacher in kindergarden daily in science all the kids at school call me Dexter, or The Brain. Lear to live with it and it's not so bad.
The winning team is the first team that wins!
-Hitchikers Guide To The Galixies
JStallion
05/18/04 05:30 PM

I'm still waiting on getting the minis and all for the board game, hopefully ill get to doing that soon. But when i was in kindergarten i got mechwarrior 2 free w/ my computer (im a junior in high school now).

lol, you guys talking about being geeks. i really hope im not a geek, ive played magic the gathering, numerous computer/console games throughout life, still have HALO parties w/ a bunch of other gamer friends, yet im captain for wrestling, top 16 in state, one of the fastest track times in the state and 6% body fat while having my wrestlers build..... idk what i am, so ill just call myself a gamer
Death_Fire
05/19/04 11:33 AM

Quote:

lol, you guys talking about being geeks. i really hope im not a geek, ive played magic the gathering, numerous computer/console games throughout life, still have HALO parties w/ a bunch of other gamer friends, yet im captain for wrestling, top 16 in state, one of the fastest track times in the state and 6% body fat while having my wrestlers build..... idk what i am, so ill just call myself a gamer

You got nothing to worry about. HALO rocks, I have a weekly game with some of my friends, but I can't do any sports. I can't run, I can't jump, the only thing I can do is play baseball or defense in basketball. I shure look the part of the geek though. I'm 16, 6'2" and weigh 120.
The winning team is the first team that wins!
-Hitchikers Guide To The Galixies
JStallion
05/19/04 11:27 PM

eh, 5'3 130 lbs (119 though during wrestling season) and ive got looks that keep the girls aorund i guess (gotta love being italian). but i like to keep the non-geek image yet i love games like this, i feel im betraying myself to myself.
Marshall
05/20/04 09:09 PM

It started in the summer of 1990. I was stationed overseas in Yokosuka, Japan, and I was at what they called a 'Fleet Lounge'. There were some guys there playing games, and I asked them what the game was. They showed me, and I played a Jenner for my first 'Mech. I ordered the base set, citytech, and aerotech from Wargames West promptly after that. I also bought books from the Stars and Stripes book store. The one I bought was Wolves on the Boarder. I've had some downtime from the game off and on, but I've returned in full fashion.

Marshall Dragoo
Rotwang
07/30/04 11:49 AM

Back in the tail end of the 80's our local model shop started to carry RPG's minis and stuff. One they they had a new shipment of stuff including a series of books about a game called Battletech.

I picked up the Battletech Manual (1987 version) Didn't have mechs, nothing ... not even stats

A short while later a friend got the MechForce game for the Amiga, loved that one. And I got my 2nd edition BT set second hand from a gamer at the local club.

The rest is history as I kept buying books and mechs etc ...
Clint
08/22/04 06:28 PM

I got into Battletech when a friend took me to my first sci-fi / gaming convention.

I had always liked robots and I played other games.
My friend talked me into buying a box set called Battledroids (that I still have) so he could have someone to play against.

And off to the races I went, head over heals into what would be called battletech.
I even got to meet one of the story writers for Battletech, Dale L Kemper.

Dale is a great guy with a good since of humor.
I have seen him at many conventions over the years.
I bought my first 3025 readout and some battletech miniatures that he had painted from him.

I found out that if you drink peppermint schnapps with him, he will tell you all about how he gets his ideas for stories for battletech. Lol.
Of course, the hangover was bad, but well worth it.

I like classic 3025 battletech the most.
Don’t get me wrong, all the other tech past 3025 is great..
But I think not having all the extended range, pulse laser, push button tech makes a mechwarrior / battletech game more fun.

Thanks.
Clint.
Lone_Wolf_Radick
08/30/04 07:23 PM

I was heavy into starwars, transformers, most all sci-fi, when my mom, through what she admitted was a mistake (was trying to buy me a star wars game) came home on christmas with the First Edition Battletech board game... I wasn't much into it at first, but when I gave it a try I was hooked... Then I went out and found my first electronic BT distraction- The Crescent Hawk's Inception... Don't laugh, this tiny, turn based DOS game still gets play time on my laptop... I've been through all the games, most of the books, and the TRO's up to 3055. I prefer to play either 3025 or 3050, anything before or after starts to annoy me a little... and here's at least one gamer who would love to see a MW5, or MMORPG, along with the Unseen returning and a new Lv. 4 rules and expanded (about 3072) rules and story set... I'm not sure if I fit the term Geek or not, and I don't care... I got out and played, didn't compete in school sports after softmore year (due to blowing out my right knee in football practice), and became somewhat of a troublemaker with his own truck (because I was working by 15)... But the games always held an attraction for me, and still do to this day... Even though now I'm a husband, Father, Disabled Veteran, and current Federal employee, it still feels right and fun to sit and play MW or even Megamek when I get the time...
-Wolf
War Never Determines who is right, only who is left.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing-Darth Vader"
Niedziak
12/13/04 09:09 AM

When I was realy realy little I saw one scene of "Robotech" on television, where big robot was transforming into plane (it was precursor to the Phoenix Hawk), after that I knew what I would like when I grow up. Than was "Robot Jox", "Mechwarrior2" (I was very young these days) and 2nd edition boxed set. Rest is history. Althought I always liked big robots and sci-fi.
What do you have to "Robot Jox". I've always liked this film for effects. It isn't stray Battletech but has some futures. This clan futures you mentioned bugging me to about when clans was introduced.
Niedziak
12/13/04 09:27 AM

ehh... What about those geeks? I am 21 years old, 186 cm, 75kg (sorry, I'm from Poland ), playing REALY numerous computer and board games (my father thinks I am too old for that, sic!), like Japan animeted movies (anime), read comics of any kind, and think that genetics and biochemistry is fun, all of this without any emberresment. I'm living like that since was 12 years old.
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
2 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 19968

Contact Admins Sarna.net