Faves anyone?

Pages: 1
KillerGrin
12/23/02 11:24 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Yeh it sounds off but I have to ask... folks... whats your fave mech atleast from The MW series?

I'm a fan of the atlas which is where my post name comes from, 'cause while playing MW3 I noticed that when you have an atlas comming after you though a plume of smoke or in low light it kinda looks like it's maniacally grinning... yeh... though those sunders sure as hell give the atlas a good competition...
"Hah! nothing says hello like a freshly removed limb, 'specially if that limb was attached to a clan masakari, and your modified annihilator just did the elective surgery.." -Steelrain
Toastrider
12/25/02 12:50 AM

That was the whole idea when the Atlas was originally designed, actually. I believe the fluff stated something to the effect of 'General Kerensky wants a Mech that will scare the bejesus out of people'.

That being said, the Atlas has aged well; while superseded to an extent by newer designs, only an idiot discounts the presence of a one-hundred-ton Mech on the field, especially one with the history of the Atlas.

Anyways, as the Mech loadout has changed to an extent through the games, I'll call off my preferences based on the games I've played.

MechWarrior: Yes, I played the original Activision MW. Fun game, too, with a surprisingly smart AI -- some pilots would actually run from combat, being cowards. My preferred Mech in MW was the Marauder -- better long range slugging power.

Since I never played MW2, skip to...

MechWarrior 3: Generally, I preferred to load out Sunders or Annihilators (or Daishis if I salvaged them) with heavy long-range weapons and pulverized the enemy from a distance. None of that twenty ER mediums crap for me; I liked a Masakari-esque loadout just fine, four ER-PPCs.

MW4: Hard to say. I've learned to like the hardpoint loadout (it does give the Mechs more individual flavor). While the Daishi and Atlas are fun 100-ton monsters, the Mauler can be very nasty if you change the loadout to dual Clan Gauss, two ERMPLs, and two Streak-6 or Streak-4 racks. Or alternately, two ER Large lasers, two Ultra-AC5s, and two Streak-6 racks. Fun fun

--Toasty
"The survivors, not the victors, write the history books."
KillerGrin
12/25/02 01:33 AM

the real meaning of obsecene loadout is taking a fafnir from MW4 mercs and loading it with six ultra AC/2 half the time the enemy dies before they even get to you... yeah an ac2 is better as a door stop then a weapon individually but man they sure as hell are a great way to guarantee continuous hurtin' in a cluster... same kinda idea as the MG clusters but with the longest combat range of any weapon I beleive if not tied with missiles. I have to give some credit to the Highlander... I managed to do a highlander burial and actually push-rammed a madcat clear into some fuel tanks... it popped and I took orange level damage across the board... heh... and that was in one of the mission instant action games..
"Hah! nothing says hello like a freshly removed limb, 'specially if that limb was attached to a clan masakari, and your modified annihilator just did the elective surgery.." -Steelrain
Optimus_Prime
12/26/02 03:42 AM

Well lemmie just start with MW to MW4:BK.
MW
Gotta love the Marauder in this game though that Battlemaster is somthing else.Tobad i cant Drive my Samson from ES1-2(Note at the Begining of MW in the Credits it metions Dynamix a....Ummm.....was Sierra Company)
MW2
Probly the Warhammer IIC though the MCat is in Second by 0.001%.
MW2:GBL Has to be the Victor I love the way that mechs looks.Though not as Cool as the Axman!
MW2:MERCS
dont have it
MW3
Man what can i say when i set Eyes on the Orion Mech i was hooked for life. Then comes in my Fav clan mechs the Blackhawk and Vulture(Not to metion the MCAT!)Man i really wish i had the Expain pack for this. Hear you can be a "Toad"
MW4:V
Well before the I.S. Mech pack i loved the Mauler and Vulture mechs. But ever since then its been Hunchback, Vulture, Mauler.
MW4: Mech paks
Zeus is cool but i want MY FINS! would make it look mean by far. Masakari HELL YEAH 4 ER PPC MECH! there is a Scary mech. Dragon oh i have been waiting so long to drive this DC Favroite and i love it! the Hunchback Second FAV mech in the Btech Univeruse So you know im Gonna love this mech. Love the Way they made it though you may not Note at first you can see in the Cockpit Area some of the Orignail design.
MW4:BK
Easy the Wolfhound, Coolest little Devil in the game though why you cant get it in the Campaign is just Puzzling after all it is a Merc Mech right? And you play as Mercs or im i Missing somthing here?

http://2845.mechnex.net
The Cybrids are coming, will you be ready?
Vapor
12/26/02 03:56 AM

Well, the only MW game I've ever really played is MW4, so my faves are limited to that. I even had to stop playing before I was able to purchase the EP's either.

My favorite MW4 'Mech was a rather heavily modified Thor, packing 2 LBX-20's, 1 LBX-10, ERSL, and a Flamer. You could wreak havoc with it in a city map, and I used it to take down numerous Daishis and Atlases.

Another favorite was a Nova that was stripped of all weapons, and then filled up with flamers. It didn't do much damage, but it sure got a lot of people complaining in a hurry.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Optimus_Prime
12/26/02 04:00 AM

LOL GO VAPOR! A nova with Flamers OMG i gota try this out some day

Vapor
12/26/02 04:11 AM

Be forewarned of a couple things before you try making a Nova with Flamers.

1) The opposing team WILL NOT like you. They will whine and complain, and call you a coward, and anything else thay can think of. You have to have a very thick skin.

2) The opposing team WILL target you with extreme vengeance, so be prepared to start dieing fast if the map is open. Even if it isn't open, they will kill you as soon as they see you.

That said, I never tried this design while playing the campaign in MW4, so not too sure how it would work there. However, if you want to have a lot of fun playing online, this is a great design.

PS. It IS possible to destroy 'Mechs with those flamers, though it is extremely difficult. All you have to do is overheat them faster than the HS can cool them off, and keep hitting them with flamers after they shut down, and they will overheat and explode. However, unless you are VERY careful with your firing pattern, you will overheat as well long before they explode. You have to walk a fine line between roasting your enemies, and roasting yourself. I've destroyed myself several times because I didn't watch my heat well enough and overheated too fast for the HS to compensate.

PPS. I named the design "Satan".
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Optimus_Prime
12/26/02 04:17 AM

Yeah i Treid to Do that with a Puma Called it the Hottub because a Puma(to me)looks like a Upside down tub. though i found it hard to get out of the Explsion always was blown up with the guy lol

Cheapbuzz
12/26/02 07:35 PM

MW3 I prefer a Madcat with twin PPCs and some LRM 20s.
As far as MW4 goes It's kinda limited since Microshaft messed everything up. But I'll have to go with a standard Black Knight.
KillerGrin
12/27/02 03:50 PM

lol thats almost as crazy as the time I loaded a novacat up with a full load of medium lasers and then made sure the nova had as many heat sinks and as much speed as possible... while a med seems weak alone when you squeeze 8 or more on a mech and use it in the city heh... well though I have to try the flamers just for the laugh factor..
KillerGrin
12/27/02 03:56 PM

actually you get the wolfhound as a starter guaranteed if you are sponsors by the kell hounds in mercenaries I think you actually get two and theres some on the freemarket, the wolf hound is good for what it is it can be fast enough to run rings around osiruses, and... it's got that medium mech level of firepower especially with the PPC/Med laser loadout...for that reason ignoring a wolfhound for another target like a cougar is just stupid, ppc weilding wolfhounds aren't common but the risk makes 'em dangerous enough...especially with the ER model

Toastrider
12/27/02 11:47 PM

I always disliked Wolfhounds in MW4: BK. They were unusually tough for light Mechs, and that damned X-Pulse Laser they had could do real damage.

So I used to pulverize them with Gauss rifles

--Toasty
"The survivors, not the victors, write the history books."
KillerGrin
12/28/02 12:12 PM

I dont kow about that... they seemed to go crunch just as well as any other mech versus a AC10 or higher... but then maybe it was just me ahem... and full-contact mech piloting... heh tried the novacat with a full load of flamers... that is some fun combat... ironically... the lower experience computer pilots eject while the more veterans ones goe down with their machine.... I wonder if they had the programming reversed...
Optimus_Prime
12/29/02 02:08 AM

Bah the only reason why i would pilot a Nova cat is 1. the Flamer Config(gona try that tonight)2. Only if i Have to other than that i hate it with a PASSION! it resembles everthing i hate in a mech its slow, Over heats way to quick due to it can only hold Energy Weaps, And its pretty dam BULKY for its weight, And it looks ugly. see the wolf hound on the other hand is Fast and Agile and small size. but like the Ncat it over heats to quick which is its down side. But now the Mad dog is Semi cool looking(I like the MW3 version overall),Can hold a Respectable payload(No i dont load mine with missles),Its not to big as long as you face you enemy, And its just a Blast to drive it(for me at least)Mcat well no need to say anything about it its already cool and powerful.

KillerGrin
12/29/02 09:30 PM

thats what YOU think heh heh... the OMV novacat I put together is one bad mofo... and fast enough to not be picked apart before it can get in that "toasty" range... I've also made it run cool too unless your firing at minimum distance against the target...
the mad dog? haven't heard the vulture get called that in a long while I actually leared a lil respect for that one in the MW4: veng. Game when you manage to capture one... and I was stuck with choosing that one or the Catapult... you can guess which I picked
Thor_Mech
02/20/04 12:42 PM

Favorites?
Well, Mech 2 it was the Mad Cat
Mech 2 mercs, Atlas with Arrow IV's (I love those things)
Mech 3 was the Daishi
Mech 3 Pirate's Moon: Daishi for single player, Elemental for multi (Heavy Large laser, no armor, pure speed)
Mech 4 I like the Mad Cat MK II 'cause I like big 'mechs with big guns "Gauss rifles"
Mech 4 Mercs: Fafnir or Daishi (see above)
Mechcommander 1: Masakari or Mad Cat
Mechcommander 2: Blood Asp (Hello Heavy lasers, nice to meet you.)
Actually, the Thor/Summoner is usually second or third... see name.
"Even after all these years, walking through the ranks of 'Mechs still gives me the chills"
- Intelligence Secretary Justin Xiang Allard
Outreach, 21, Sept 3051
XIBIOUS
02/23/04 09:44 AM

WOW what a question.
Which version of each game ?
MW2 had several and all played differently
MW3 patches totally changed the game, 1.1 patch changed the game so much it was like playing a whole different game
MW4,I havent played in a year, BATTLEMASTER ? There was no BATTLEMASTER in the beta nor any of the MS versions, must be a MEK TEK add on. How can you compair the add ons to the original game, well I guess you can, but I can't, too much stuff to download and to keep up with now, I'll stick with IS3025 and NEV
MW2 16bit Titanium-------Maurader
NETMECH UA NH -----------Gladiator
MW3 1.0 -----------------KITTEN aka Shadow Cat
MW3 UA NH ---------------5 G ANNI
MW3 Norm ---------------- Man I just cant remember
MW4 ---------------------LRM BOAT FAT BOY Diashi
MW4 UA NH ---------------Short Shot FAT BOY (a/c 20 Diashi)
That's it for now. I cant think straight yet, just woke up to find NEVERON servers down gggrrrr
HardKorHippy
03/05/04 09:30 PM

Grizzly and Kodiak from GBL, hands down. All but unstoppable. Oh, and as for flamers, they are actually pretty good in Mercs. Mount a Flashman wish a lot of Flamers and overheat the #%$&@&*! to kingdom come!! Sides, there is always this deep satisfaction you get when watching their ammo explode, or them freeze up as they shut down.
SSFSX17
03/08/04 05:28 AM

MW1: Warhammer
It was short enough to shoot at everything without needing to adjust very much. But it was also tall enough to blow out the face of any other mech I saw. It also had to do with the fact that the Warhammer looks exactly like one of the coolest non-aerial mechs of the Macross series. The Warhammer's weapon loadout wasn't too shabby back in MW1's day, either.

MW2: Mad Cat (Timberwolf)
It was fast enough to get at the backsides of lumbering hulks (dishonorable, I know), but powerful enough to blow away faster mechs before they could even fire a single shot. In the event that I actually wanted to play honorably, I would try out a Nova while trying to do lateral-jumps like crazy. Then honorable duels basically looked like The Matrix.

MW3: Daishi
This game favored the various Pulse Lasers a little bit too much. The result was that the Daishi, the ultimate Large Pulse Laser deployment platform in existence, became overpowered. In the event that I actually wanted to have fun instead of finish the missions, I chose the Hunchback or a very fast mech.
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
Sesshomeru
11/18/04 07:08 PM

M2 Mercs:Stalker (loaded that sonofa!@#$% with large lasers and missles and watched the fireworks)
M4 Vengence: Cant remember
M4 BK: Black Knight hands down (loaded it up with Er Large Lasers and 1 AC10, min speed,max reactive armor on evrything except legs, and Jump jets)
M4 Mercs: Fafnir the king of all mechs (2 HGause Rifles, followed by ER Large Lasers,min speed,max reactive armor on evrything except legs.
Sesshomeru
11/18/04 07:10 PM

On all my MW 4 games I played with no heat and unlimited ammo
Galaxy_Commander
01/03/05 06:40 PM

I have to go with the Timberwolf/Madcat. It have twin LRM20s for long range. Also lasers for medium range plus 2 MachineGuns for short range and heat free weapon. Proves to be good in MW2 and MW3 but it doesn't have jump jets, that is a disadvantage.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10486

Contact Admins Sarna.net