AT2/BS salvage rights

Pages: 1
MaddogDCD
01/08/05 04:58 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
In space, after a battle, does the victory generally recover any of the crafts? Or would the crew try to self destruct it so that it couldn't be recovered?

In planetside battles, could the victor recover any of the crafts? Issues that I see: With fighters, would they eject and allow the fighter to crash? Thus, it wouldn't be salvagable. With landing (ie dropships) craft that had a larger crew, do they generally safely land?
CrayModerator
01/10/05 07:34 AM

Gee. Mostly, as I understand it, vehicles are simply destroyed in space and not much salvage effort is made. This is probably the case when battles are near planets and the wreckage is likely to end up hitting the planet within the next few days.

Fighters and dropships that are in-flight in the atmosphere when they're destroyed do not leave a lot to salvage.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Greyslayer
01/11/05 12:26 AM

Look up Boarding actions if one side has marines. This would be the best way to salvage larger vessels.

Damaged dropships coming into land do have rolls involved. Look up the relevant damage and do the roll... landing gear may hold or the dropship may go all humpty dumpty on you.

Whether a dropship captain/fighter/jumpship self detonates is another thing. Fanatical troops may self destruct but few forces (ROM agents and special forces) would usually follow through with this. Merchants certainly wouldn't and neither do the clans usually. Ramming is another thing altogether though (still probably not for merchant types).

When a vessel is 'taken out' in space it generally continues to travel in the direction it was last travelling since there is nothing to slow it down markably in a vaccuum then it would be a matter of tracking down the vessel later unless some 'body' (ie planet or asteriod etc) took it out. Usually the reason for the vessel to be taken out would also be fairly much make it useless for salvage anyway.
Karagin
01/11/05 12:30 AM

Well I think it depends on what you are looking to salvage..some armor or weapons or computers or maybe something stored in the cargo area might all be things a salavage group would be after or the growing navy of a smaller power.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
MaddogDCD
01/11/05 06:25 PM

In the planetside atmosphere: More times than not, I think that the craft would crash. However, since the A-10 was designed to be able to fly and land while losing one wing, I think that Battletech aircraft should also be able to land (depending on the type and location of damage).

In space: Should a craft enter into a planet's atmosphere or hit an asteroid, you can pretty much kiss it goodbye. I don't remember seeing this rule, but it would seem to me that it would make sense that if a craft is disabled/dead, it should continue to move at its current vector and velocity until off the map or crashes (rather than just flipping the game piece and calling it dead). Here's my thing though, vessels can be taken out without having overly critical damage. Lets say a cruiser is called dead in the game (massive left side hull breeches) and it continues to float dead in space. Couldn't the victors tow it back and either repair it, while expensive, or pull out the usable parts?
Karagin
01/11/05 10:56 PM

They could. I know in my group when we have space battles the winner gets to clean up the battlefield. So a lot of times, the guys will try to go for crippling blows rather then out right kills.

I would say using your rules has a more realistic effect.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Greyslayer
01/11/05 11:55 PM

Do remember though that there is no 'station keeping' engines when a vessel is 'crippled'.

In many cases a vessel may start spinning or some other thing making it harder to salvage or increasing the probability of colliding with something (other wreckage is one thing to have in mind).

Since in many cases structural integrity is either gone or fairly low, then perhaps passing though close to a point of gravity (fairly close to planet or moon) may cause more structural damage to the vessel as well. These are of course hard to calculate, but classing crippled or destroyed vessels as 'debris clouds' and allowing them to continue travelling could make it interesting if one debris cloud runs into another one for example.
MaddogDCD
01/13/05 04:35 PM

Lots of good points that are worth considering for when I play this again.

I'm thinking of adding a "survival role" for atmosphere aerotech - while a fighter that is "destroyed" over the course of three rounds may land, a fighter that is "destroyed" by a pair of ER Large Lasers in one round is likely to go down in a blaze. (Just my opinion.)

In space, I was thinking of adding a drift movement for when a craft is destroyed:
DRIFT = current VELOCITY - 1
DRIFT => 1 (meaning that it doesn't come to a complete stop unless it hits a target or planet or goes off map)

As far as space salvage goes, I haven't done the math, but I'm sure it'd be a lot cheaper if a warship was captured, gutted out (if the hull breech left it intact) and the hull could be reused/refitted, even if it was at 75% integrity.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6112

Contact Admins Sarna.net