Suggestions for a Tournament Force.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Grizzly
02/09/05 12:10 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quote:

Also the old mechforce style tourneys where 250 tons and everyone is regular (basically mechs only, I suppose this is what you are familiar with?).

Yeah that would be it... and I honestly haven't played in a tourney since around 1990. We used to have a great gaming club in my hometown. We would host conventions once or twice a year. They started out very small (Saturday only), but grew to the point where the last two or three we had lasted all weekend and those of us who could, would play almost non stop for the whole time! But then I went back to college and started working during the summers and my gaming dropped off. The club finally closed down sometime around 1995-1997. We still have some great game stores, but my work schedule and family time (first child due within two weeks ) have had the unfortunate side effect of killing off my gaming time. I still do some painting and purchasing of books (just got the new Steiner Handbook ), but I have not actually rolled any dice in about two years . What little time I have has been spent playing on my console game systems and some online Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne with some friends. Fun, but not the same as sitting across from good friends and really interacting with them. I am hoping to remedy that with a change in my career path. Work to live, not live to work, my new mantra....
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Greyslayer
02/09/05 05:00 PM

Quote:

We used to have a great gaming club in my hometown. We would host conventions once or twice a year. They started out very small (Saturday only), but grew to the point where the last two or three we had lasted all weekend and those of us who could, would play almost non stop for the whole time!

Unfortunately being from a later period in gaming history (you old gaming fogey ) it meant that any gaming club we ended up belonging too was eventual turned into a Games Workshop fanboy group. Very hard to play a decent game of battletech when all the space is taken up by 40k, warhammer fantasy etc. I tended towards playing the less space consuming games that were far more fun (ie bloodbowl) but would always prefer to play a good game of battletech when given the chance.

Quote:

But then I went back to college and started working during the summers and my gaming dropped off. The club finally closed down sometime around 1995-1997. We still have some great game stores, but my work schedule

I had always made time, I made it perfectly clear when I started shiftwork with the company I am with that I play cricket about 17-20 sundays a year and that comes first. Since they didn't know which sundays I was playing cricket I generally had sundays off and thus could also play battletech. Plus I didn't always work weekends thus saturdays as well. For the upcoming tourney, even though that is a busy weekend for my work I have already informed them that I am not available (I've played enough tourneys coming off of a nightshift as it is).

Quote:

and family time (first child due within two weeks ) have had the unfortunate side effect of killing off my gaming time.

A pre-emptive congratulations is in order (or is it commiserations? ). I'll be getting hitched later this year, but my partner understands I have 'my time', which may change if little greys come along.

Quote:

I still do some painting and purchasing of books (just got the new Steiner Handbook ),

I hate painting. I pretty much have most of my figures still in blisters. I also haven't purchased a BT book in years and refuse too.

Quote:

but I have not actually rolled any dice in about two years .

I roll dice several times a year, probably less than I should to retain the bt knowledge I usually use to overcome players at tourneys with.

Quote:

What little time I have has been spent playing on my console game systems and some online Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne with some friends. Fun, but not the same as sitting across from good friends and really interacting with them.

I've been quite critical of the lack of 'true' battletech support from software. Imagine software that looks after the bookkeeping of marking off damage on units and automatically rolls crits when going internal etc (the rolling of locations and weapon hits can be left to the players or not if that is the choice but for speeding up the game slightly you could use something like that). PCs sitting under the table and no paperwork on top of it just a couple of monitors and maybe a keyboard (though just a mouse might be possible).

Quote:

I am hoping to remedy that with a change in my career path. Work to live, not live to work, my new mantra....

Mine is to 'pay off house' then 'be even more flex than I am now'.

BTW use paragraphs, that was a motherlode of info to be contained in one.
Nightward
02/09/05 06:08 PM

I'm always aguely surprised when 'Mechs from older FASA books fit the rules. I have copies of the Wolf Clan and ComStar Sourcebooks, and ye gods...the 'Mechs in those things would drive a man to drink.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
02/09/05 06:20 PM

This also doesn't make it currently legal for the tourney. You go by the last time the actual unit was presented, in this case the 3050 sheetbook. So if no errata exists as an 'official' change the unit would be illegal for this tourney.

Problems exist when a Tourney organiser allows a mech, which to everyone else with the most recent sheet looks illegal, to field it without informing everyone of its legality before having people select their armies.

ie at the bottom of tourney information you could have:

The following mechs are legal for the purposes of this tourney:

Shogun 2E etc

If an errata exists that is official and is easily accessed then it is up to the player to find (in reference to this mech it should be noted where you picked up the errata as well in case other players challenge it's usage).
Nightward
02/09/05 06:26 PM

Heh. Ned and the "You will play, or I will call again tomorrow" strategy

Actually, I kind of prefer the old MF tourneys. Regular pilots means you can hit stuff, and the tonnage available means you get some really solid forces to boot. BVs worked equally wel, but tended towards smaller forces.

The current format is interesting to play, but it's a pain to select forces with. Every 'Mech you want to use has to be analysed with regards to heat efficiency, armour, and weapon efficiency. Then you have to question whether or not it's worth the tonnage you're spending to improve the pilot.

Then when you play, you absolutely cannot afford to loose anything.

It's great fun, but it's all starting to give me headaches
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
02/09/05 06:49 PM

Quote:

Actually, I kind of prefer the old MF tourneys. Regular pilots means you can hit stuff, and the tonnage available means you get some really solid forces to boot. BVs worked equally wel, but tended towards smaller forces.

The scoring system was clumsy for the MF tourneys. It was almost the reason I left the bt group after working nightshifts the friday and saturday nights (12 hour shifts) and playing saturday, sunday and monday. I had spent a good part of two weeks trying to teach a bloke making a program to calculate victory points. I made him understand each part of the formulae used and then only to find when the tourney came about he totally got it wrong.

What the MF scoring system relied upon was not necessarily destroying the tonnage of the opposition but in fact the ratio of bv between forces. So if both sides end up losing nothing and one side cost far less bv then it would pick up some serious victory points. It also had that a partial victory (taking out more than you lost) was still a victory and not a draw (this was something I highlighted to the programmer). Anyway in the tourney I was taking down more than I was losing (ratio of about 2 is to 1 and every army out-bved me) and I was sitting in the middle of the competition, why? because I was not completely defeating my opponents as the program was screwed up. Not only didn't it seem to be able to calculate the bv victory points correctly but you had to totally destroy armies to pick up victory points (something not overly common in MF battles to start with least of all with a very under-tonnage/bv armies that I was fielding).

So instead of resting up while at work, I designed a simple excel spreadsheet that did everything and more than the program the other guy designed and the organiser Refused to use it. Even though not doing so in comparison to the other program would constitute a non-MF tourney. I ended up about 6th in that tourney and you can gather I was not impressed.

Quote:

The current format is interesting to play, but it's a pain to select forces with. Every 'Mech you want to use has to be analysed with regards to heat efficiency, armour, and weapon efficiency. Then you have to question whether or not it's worth the tonnage you're spending to improve the pilot.

Then when you play, you absolutely cannot afford to loose anything.

It's great fun, but it's all starting to give me headaches

Is there anything wrong with using your head? If a player spends a fair amount of time selecting forces, testing them out and redesigning then perhaps the objective of the tourney has been met. Its not simply turning up and playing but the journey of getting there as well (ie playtesting against others and talking over options with fellow players such as now).

You would be far less likely to ask for help or discuss army composition to any detail with the more boring Mechforce tourneys now would you?
Nightward
02/09/05 07:29 PM

Mechforce is simple. Archer, Marauder, Wolverine, Phoenix Hawk.

Heh.

Ther's nothing wrong with more difficult entry options. It's just that thus far, nothing's working. I've been running my selections on MegaMek against the bot, and I've still yet to drop anything from OPFOR. Admittedly, the fact that the map randomiser dumps me smack bang in the middle of a map covered entirely in forests isn't helping matters much, becuase I waste half an hour trying to get out of it, only to be slapped down by the bot on the other side.

Every time I try using tanks, it slams me with impassable terrain. MegaMek's a great program most of the time, but the map randomiser does me no favours >:[

I wound up 5th on countback at that Maelstrom. Placed 3rd on victory points, though. I think there were three or more of us on the same amount of VPs.

Mind you, my dice were running hot that weekend- so much so that most of my opponents got Ned to check if they were rigged or not. Whilst he was off rolling them to test them out, I used their dice, and the slaughter continued.

It was riduculous. I don't think I rolled under a 10 for anything other than a hit location that entire weekend.

I didn't have too many problems mopping people up.

The headshots were probably helping me out a little with that, though.
Greyslayer
02/09/05 07:55 PM

Quote:

Mechforce is simple. Archer, Marauder, Wolverine, Phoenix Hawk.

ARC-2S, CRD-3D, CRD-3K, HBK-4J.

Your army is 5 tons shy of 250, perhaps you meant Awesome instead of Marauder? Either that or your brain even struggles to add up to 250 Evil Grin.

Quote:

Ther's nothing wrong with more difficult entry options. It's just that thus far, nothing's working. I've been running my selections on MegaMek against the bot, and I've still yet to drop anything from OPFOR. Admittedly, the fact that the map randomiser dumps me smack bang in the middle of a map covered entirely in forests isn't helping matters much, becuase I waste half an hour trying to get out of it, only to be slapped down by the bot on the other side.

I run through options in my head. I ignore dice and just look at strengths and weaknesses, both individually and as a team. I'd also select certain mapboards that provide a decent selection of terrain without making it impossible to move vehicles (ie no swamp but rivers are allowed etc).

Quote:

I wound up 5th on countback at that Maelstrom. Placed 3rd on victory points, though. I think there were three or more of us on the same amount of VPs.

Which is very hard to do if the BV ratio was working properly. It wasn't the easiest system to score with thus I had spent a fair amount of time trying to make sure the formulae I created to make it simpler to calculate was understood.

Quote:

Mind you, my dice were running hot that weekend- so much so that most of my opponents got Ned to check if they were rigged or not. Whilst he was off rolling them to test them out, I used their dice, and the slaughter continued.

Steve complained of his dice-rolling for the entire tourney. Anyway I was playing him in the last round (it always ends up that way for some reason in larger tourneys? For the record Steve and I would end up first and second quite often except where we would meet last) and he complained about no headshots against anyone and being unlucky with his snake-eyes chances. I was gutting his Cauldron-Born (as you do with a munchy lg pulse targ army) when he tapped off a double shot from the ac20 needing 8s the turn he was due to die. Both hit, locations Head and Snake-Eyes. A rather good looking Rifleman IIC dead.
Grizzly
02/09/05 10:53 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately being from a later period in gaming history (you old gaming fogey ) it meant that any gaming club we ended up belonging too was eventual turned into a Games Workshop fanboy group. Very hard to play a decent game of battletech when all the space is taken up by 40k, warhammer fantasy etc. I tended towards playing the less space consuming games that were far more fun (ie bloodbowl) but would always prefer to play a good game of battletech when given the chance.

I'm not old, the calendar is a liar ! Thankfully only a few of the local shops are affilated with GW. Those that are however have non Warhammer Fantasy/40k nights, so other games at least get some time. Not that GW doesn't have good games, I still have an original copy of Talisman and Chainsaw Warrior.

Quote:

I had always made time, I made it perfectly clear when I started shiftwork with the company I am with that I play cricket about 17-20 sundays a year and that comes first. Since they didn't know which sundays I was playing cricket I generally had sundays off and thus could also play battletech. Plus I didn't always work weekends thus saturdays as well. For the upcoming tourney, even though that is a busy weekend for my work I have already informed them that I am not available (I've played enough tourneys coming off of a nightshift as it is).

I wish I could have told my employer that I needed weekends off. I work for an amusement park so weekends are our bread and butter May-Dec. During our season I am lucky if I see one weekend off.

Quote:

A pre-emptive congratulations is in order (or is it commiserations? ). I'll be getting hitched later this year, but my partner understands I have 'my time', which may change if little greys come along.

Thanks for the congrats! My wife and I are very excited. I have told her that upon her return to work, I would be willing to quit my job and take over primary care of our child. If our monetary situation can handle it of course.

Quote:

hate painting. I pretty much have most of my figures still in blisters. I also haven't purchased a BT book in years and refuse too.

I understand that... over half of mine are still in blister as well. I am trying to paint the backlog of assembled minis before I crack open another blister.

Quote:

I've been quite critical of the lack of 'true' battletech support from software. Imagine software that looks after the bookkeeping of marking off damage on units and automatically rolls crits when going internal etc (the rolling of locations and weapon hits can be left to the players or not if that is the choice but for speeding up the game slightly you could use something like that). PCs sitting under the table and no paperwork on top of it just a couple of monitors and maybe a keyboard (though just a mouse might be possible).

That would be great in tourney situations. Perhaps a little to costly for home use, but oh, the possibilities...

Quote:

BTW use paragraphs, that was a motherlode of info to be contained in one.

Sorry.. my brain was half asleep when I posted. Due to my current schedule (up at 5am to be at work by 7am). I am a night owl by nature, and I hate these early mornings....
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Grizzly
02/09/05 11:12 PM

I took a quick look over at CBT under the errata section and didn't find anything for RS:3050. This might be a good question for the Precentor Martial...
Karagin
02/09/05 11:29 PM

I already posted the question to him.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Greyslayer
02/10/05 04:51 AM

Quote:

I took a quick look over at CBT under the errata section and didn't find anything for RS:3050. This might be a good question for the Precentor Martial...

If its not available now, sending a question off won't help nightward field it. This close to the tourney it would be hard to see the unit to be allowed if it isn't legal at this point (since it wasn't included in the errata).
Greyslayer
02/10/05 04:56 AM

Quote:

Sorry.. my brain was half asleep when I posted. Due to my current schedule (up at 5am to be at work by 7am). I am a night owl by nature, and I hate these early mornings....

I am getting up 5am this week to be at work by 6am, next week most of my shifts start at 9pm and finish 4-6am... gotta love shiftwork.
Nightward
02/10/05 05:55 AM

No.

No, you totally don't
Nightward
02/10/05 06:03 AM

Eh. Had another look at the Shogun, and at 85 tons, it's still kind of iffy. We'll see.

Right now, the plan is Veterans in a Davion Crusader and a Steiner Archer (LRM-15s a go-go) backed by a Hunter LST.

35 tons for a 5/8 mover with heavy armour and an LRM-20? WINNAR.
Greyslayer
02/10/05 07:38 AM

Hunter is a bit out of its league really. I thought of using it but it needs many more units than 2 supporting it to be truly effective, plus the lack of turret or short-ranged defences really don't appeal to me.
Nightward
02/10/05 05:47 PM

Fact the computer dumped a Level 2 ridge in the middle of the field didn't aid its cause either.

I couldn't even get LOS with the bloody thing.

Crusader/Archer force appears to be a no-go, too. Massacred by PPC fire from the Bot...

At this stage, a Grashopper/Warhammer force with Veteran pilots is starting to look real appealing.
Greyslayer
02/10/05 06:09 PM

are you trying to use indirect fire on the bot or standing toe-to-toe?

Unless a unit hits your ammo a LRM mech can actually out-dish PPC mechs.

eg LRM15s might do about 9 damage but generally mechs are less likely to suffer heat problems and have better long-medium range brackets. Where LRM armies fall down is against medium lasers unless you can get enough LRMs on the table to cut their numbers before they can get to engage you. The PPC and medium laser armies have to do all the moving generally which is why everyone is aiming for the Wolfhound, Jenner F and Mongoose at the moment.
Nightward
02/10/05 06:27 PM

Yeah. I'll run the new lot against the Bot tonight, but if it doesn't work I might have a look at using a Charger SB with some Wolfhounds.

If that fails, I'll just give up and field an All Stars Of The Inner Sphere force- Justin Xiang Allard and Morgan Finn Kell.
Greyslayer
02/10/05 06:33 PM

Quote:

If that fails, I'll just give up and field an All Stars Of The Inner Sphere force- Justin Xiang Allard and Morgan Finn Kell.

Nah try this it sounds like a band name:

King Crab and the Savannah Masters

King Crab 0/1
7 x Savannah Masters

Its just plain whacky!
Nightward
02/11/05 06:09 PM

Sounds like something Steve would try

What's with him and TEH KNIG CRABES!11!

?

Edited by Nightward (02/11/05 07:24 PM)
Greyslayer
02/11/05 06:34 PM

King Crab - what you want to use to give a unit a quick death.

Problems - slow and low ammo loads.

Advantages - generally will take at least one unit with it

Best action to tackle unit - swarm it with lights, preference to take out the back.

Secondary action - LRM army, by the time the King Crab gets there it will be badly damaged.

What you don't want - relying on your luck with a couple of heavies to take him down. Head shots or double hits to the legs take you out.

Likelyhood of seeing unit in tourney - unlikely. Even the old fogey would stand clear of this unit.
Nightward
02/11/05 07:08 PM

He gave it a shot in the free-for-all. Had a go at Max, Ned, and myself before I almost bought it down with Yen-Lo-Wang.

They were all laughing because I had a 3/4 pilot in Justin's ride.

It stopped soon after I hit with everything I fired every time. Except the bloody hatchet.
Greyslayer
02/11/05 08:08 PM

I'll post some pertinent stats for people to think over:

Lights vs Assaults:

Light Mech Advantages:
- Heat Sinks, yep you heard me heat sinks. Each engine contains 10 'free' heat sinks. Now considering you have to get above 200 engine rating to even reach that weight the free heat does provide an advantage.
- numbers. BV and Tonnage games do not take into account the advantages multiple units grants over solitary units.
- speed. Lights spend less tonnage on speed (per mp) than an Assault Mech.
- Potential Armour Ratio per ton is higher on Lights than Assaults, around 65 tons this ratio starts to change.
- light jump jets. Above 55 tons they cost 1 tons each and 90 tons onwards it costs 2 tons each. So the heavier Assault mechs generally really suffer a lack of mobility not only just speed

Light Mechs Disadvantages:
- Weapon load. They suffer from the inability of generally being able to use a seriously decent weapon unless they are as slow as the mechs they are hunting. Medium Lasers are their only reprieve.
-Thin Armour. PPCs, AC10s and AC20s cleave through these units. This can stop light mechs before they are even a chance to be a problem.
- Gyros + Cockpit. You pay this for each unit, whereas the Assault pays for it once. This helps offset the advantage of the 'free heat sinks'.
- Two-dimensional loadouts. Because they lack weapon space generally only have the ability to fight one way.

Assault - see reverse of lights

Now some stats:

20 ton Mechs 10 tons for upgrade or 50%
25 ton Mechs 10 tons for upgrade or 40%
30 ton Mechs 10 tons for upgrade or 33%
35 ton Mechs 10 tons for upgrade or 29%
40 ton Mechs 15 tons for upgrade or 38%
45 ton Mechs 15 tons for upgrade or 33%
50 ton Mechs 15 tons for upgrade or 30%
55 ton Mechs 15 tons for upgrade or 27%
60 ton Mechs 20 tons for upgrade or 33%
65 ton Mechs 20 tons for upgrade or 31%
70 ton Mechs 20 tons for upgrade or 29%
75 ton Mechs 20 tons for upgrade or 27%
80 ton Mechs 25 tons for upgrade or 31%
85 ton Mechs 25 tons for upgrade or 29%
90 ton Mechs 25 tons for upgrade or 29%
95 ton Mechs 25 tons for upgrade or 28%
100 ton Mechs 25 tons for upgrade or 25%

From these stats the importance of fielding units close to their weightclass limits and heavier. This is but only a very small offset to the number of units bonus lights would receive in the tourney though.
Greyslayer
02/27/05 07:07 PM

The end results were not good for either of us (Nightward and myself).

We played each other first and if it wasn't for Nightward's dodgey 'hearing the organiser calling time when in fact he never did and had over 15 minutes left of the battle, and quickly rubbing out his damage on his entire force in only a couple of minutes' the result would be far different than the fairly lucky ammo hit on my crusader or was it hunchback and my mauling and eventual double gyro of his wolfhound and bailing wire holding together his other mechs. Neither of my remaining mechs were badly damaged.

My force:
CRD-3D 4/5
CRD-3K 4/5
HBK-4J 4/5
5 x Savannah Maser 5/6

Nightward's
2 x WLF-1
1 x MON-67
1 x FLS-7K

From then on I really struggled to kill anything. Twice I ran accross HBK-4Ps and twice I did over 200 damage (about 240 to one and 220 to the other) and they both survived and were able to walk off. In 5 x 1.5 hour battles on the first day I did about 4 criticals total, it wasn't that my dice rolling was rubbish (I rolled fairly well to-hit, disgustingly bad for pilot checks, even worse for crit rolls, and very erratic for how many missiles hit ie LRM15s were lethal, LRM10s were disgustingly bad, SRM4s averaged about 2.4 missiles and SRM6s averaged about 4, location rolls were weird as well which I will demonstrate later).

The old bloke you may have heard Nightward complain about ended up winning, I never got the chance to play him so it was disappointing (as for all but completely open maps a LRM force would gut an Elite Awesome and a couple of lights). Second was a bloke I think I took a minor victory over and third was a tank army I never faced and was disappointed considering SRMs and LRMs are good at that task.

The battle I did well in was because I was able to send 4 complete indirect rounds on units that had initially stalled their movement, when finally his badly damaged thunderbolt came over the hill and started firing directly on me I took his head off with the third lot of 5 damage. Meanwhile I did close to 300 damage to his other Thunderbolt and was only classed as a kill because I took out both Hips (second day 3 x 1.5 hour games, I rolled 3 crits total in the other two games all non-essential crits). This Thunderbolt had worn close to 200 damamge, I had almost ripped off his left and right arms, and I was internal in both left and right torsos and he had about 1 pt of armour in the ct and I was internal in the left leg for a hip and lower actuator hit. The right leg was pristine, not touched at all. The next round I gave the right leg 6 criticals, it had 3 internal left. You do the maths. It just summed up my day, even the mechs classed as mission kills I couldn't kill....

then in the stupid funky light mech grand melee I kept failing pilot skill checks with a 4 pilot while people needing 11s and 10s hit me 100% of the time in a spider with a jumping problem (forced pilot skill check if jumping max). I survived but only because I decided to not fight but do circuits over the entire mapboard. It was a horrendous weekend for me, a few times my opponents were unlucky, or on the receiving end of the CRD-3Ds cooking LRM15s, but I was never able to convert this damage into anything meaningful tourney-wise.

Even in the thuderbolt battle I did 19 damage to a savannah master and it survived. All I needed to do was hit twice in the last round needing 7s with 5 savannah masters and it was dead, I hit once....

Interestingly enough it wasn't the force I was meant to field, I had three others I wanted to field over it but I had requested a couple of mechs and they (despite promises that they would be) were not brought:

Primary force:
CRD-3D 4/5
4 x WTH-1 5/6
3 x Savannah Master 5/6

Secondary
IMP-2E 0/1
7 x Savannah Master 5/6
(could not find my imp and since the bloke forgot my whitworths I very much doubted he would bring an IMP)

Tertiary
3 x GRF-1N 3/4
1 x Savannah Master 5/6
(I have 2 Griffins, one painted and the other at someone's house. I thought I had another but it was a model mounted on a trophy I cannot find).
Nightward
02/28/05 02:32 AM

I dunno. Mal was running around telling everyone to "get jiggy with it" and I was certain he said "ten minutes, guys". Anthony thought Mal was telling people to wind it down, too.

I was even happy to let you have the second Wolfhound. I dunno that you could have knocked off the Flashman, but the other Wolfhound was screwed.

Eh. Our battle made no difference to the final standings, any way. +55 for you and -55 for me still would have left me 5th.

And ahead of you, lol.

Ned placed behind me. It was Steve, Rick, Mal, Jeff (IIRC), then me, then some others.

I went well against Ned, largely because I cramped him up down the end of the table, and didn't give him too many back shots.

Well, that and the fact that he elected not to fire at my KO'd Wolfhound in partial cover with death weapons. If he'd iced my Wolfhound, the game would have ended far differently.

Meh. 5th is a pretty good effort, given that I was 3rd last at close on the first day.

The light 'Mech battle sucked, though. We were given shitty 'Mechs, then penalised for having them. Wowee. FEAR TEH SPDIER!!11.

Mind you, I uprooted a tree and belted Rod with it, so it was all good
Greyslayer
02/28/05 05:29 PM

Quote:

I dunno. Mal was running around telling everyone to "get jiggy with it" and I was certain he said "ten minutes, guys". Anthony thought Mal was telling people to wind it down, too.

I was even happy to let you have the second Wolfhound. I dunno that you could have knocked off the Flashman, but the other Wolfhound was screwed.

Eh. Our battle made no difference to the final standings, any way. +55 for you and -55 for me still would have left me 5th.

And ahead of you, lol.

I was 100 tons behind 4th, I thought you tied with 4th but was relegated to 5th and I had an excellent chance at the Flashman, but I would've taken the Jenner or Wolfhound over it since I know I struggle to roll killing dice. Not that I am quibbling about placings, outside the top 3 you are nothing

Quote:

Ned placed behind me. It was Steve, Rick, Mal, Jeff (IIRC), then me, then some others.

I went well against Ned, largely because I cramped him up down the end of the table, and didn't give him too many back shots.

Well, that and the fact that he elected not to fire at my KO'd Wolfhound in partial cover with death weapons. If he'd iced my Wolfhound, the game would have ended far differently.

We all made mistakes during the tourney. My biggest was that I made the assumption that a dozen pilot skill checks against greens would mean a few falling over, instead only 1 did the whole battle. Meanwhile my regs only needed a few checks and they fell over nearly every time and since I had gone up an elevation my movement was greatly restricted (I went up the elevation on the assumption of not all the lights would be standing each turn).

Quote:

Meh. 5th is a pretty good effort, given that I was 3rd last at close on the first day.

I was about 3rd last after the 6th battle I'd reckon.

Quote:

The light 'Mech battle sucked, though. We were given shitty 'Mechs, then penalised for having them. Wowee. FEAR TEH SPDIER!!11.

Mind you, I uprooted a tree and belted Rod with it, so it was all good

I was miffed as to the penalty, the ostscouts had gunnery 3 but no penalties. So more damage punching, more chance to hit with the single medium and far more armour and internal structure and they penalise the spider? We ended up rolling the units randomly but still I think the spider has enough penalties in that type of battle.
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 22556

Contact Admins Sarna.net