Mechs in Battlespace

Pages: 1
TheCrusader
03/02/05 08:21 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I was running through the battlespace rules for interfacing with battletech. BUt I dont remember seeing rules for using mechs in situations, like on the hull of a ship. The problem I see for this is that battletech turns are 10 seconds, and battlespace are 60. So does anyone know a way to interface this?
Karagin
03/02/05 10:52 PM

Nothing is mentioned in Aerotech 2 Revised, which are the new rules for warships and the other space craft, though Max Tech might have some thing about this.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Gnome76
03/03/05 08:24 PM

Combat Operations pp. 74-77.
Karagin
03/03/05 11:48 PM

Which book?

Pages 74 through 77 of AEROTECH 2 REVISED are about controuction. And seeing how Aerotech 2 Revised is the new rules about space combat, I am going to have to defer to that book. So it seems the days of mechs on the hulls of the ships aren't around any more.
Karagin

Wraith
03/04/05 12:52 AM

Nice thing is, if you're playing with friends you can use your own rules, or adapt older rules, or just flat-out use the old rules

I am curious what book has those rules, I haven't been able to find them in any of my manuals...
-Wraith
Gnome76
03/04/05 02:07 PM

Combat Operations, catalog number 10979.
ISBN# 1-932564-03-9
Published in 2003.
Rules for 'Mechs in space are on pages 74-77.
Wraith
03/04/05 02:39 PM

Ooh, never even read that one! Time to go buy it! Thanks
-Wraith
Karagin
03/04/05 04:03 PM

I see...but it's not in the Aerotech 2 rules...thus it's not readily part of the space game. So the pages you listed don't match the rules for AT2r which doesn't have anything on this topic.

I will have to see about getting this book, right after I get the latest CAV miniatures.
Karagin

Wraith
03/04/05 04:42 PM

well it's still a perfectly legal sourcebook, just not where you expected to find it
-Wraith
Karagin
03/04/05 04:57 PM

Didn't say it wasn't legal, just said it wasn't in the AT2r book and for a lot of folks that is what they are going to defer to on this topic...now if the mechs in space was added as an erratta via the CBT page for AT2r then there would be very little issue, but having seen folks get into yelling matches over what is in one book or another at cons and such, it's better to simple state that only the main rule book is used and if anyone as any questions have them refer to that. Seems to be the safest way to keep folks calm and happy.

And for the record, the idea of mechs walking around on the hulls of Warships is a tad to close to Robotech and Marcoss and given that it seems to be an issue best left to that show/game.
Karagin

Gnome76
03/05/05 07:16 AM

--The additions to AeroTech 2 in Combat Operations don't state whether they're Level 2 or Level 3 rules.
--The new rules for infantry construction provided in Combat Operations are stated as being Level 3.
--The introductory section for AeroTech 2 in Combat Operations say all players should read and agree on the rules before using them.
--This same section also includes rules previously printed for Boarding Actions (right down to the errors in the table).

Personally, I think of them as Level 2... but, then again, my freinds and I rarely do any space battles.

Quote:

And for the record, the idea of mechs walking around on the hulls of Warships is a tad to close to Robotech and Marcoss and given that it seems to be an issue best left to that show/game.

Statements pointing out similarities between BattleTech and Robotech are void... and don't even mention LAMs, because those were obviously modeled after the Decepticons.
Karagin
03/05/05 08:25 PM

If they are offically level 3 then that is what they are canon wise. If you use them in your games great. as I said, I find the idea to be to akin to Robotech and thus leave it where it belongs as a one off moment in the game.
Karagin

CrayModerator
03/07/05 10:56 AM

Quote:

I was running through the battlespace rules for interfacing with battletech. BUt I dont remember seeing rules for using mechs in situations, like on the hull of a ship. The problem I see for this is that battletech turns are 10 seconds, and battlespace are 60. So does anyone know a way to interface this?

Yes. The rules for battlemechs...in...Sp-a-a-a-ce! are covered in the new "Combat Operations" book, though those rules are for Aerotech 2, not Battlespace.

Personally, the idea strikes me as a bit cartoony. A battlemech standing on the side of a ship accelerating at 2 thrust points (1G) is exactly like a battlemech standing on the side of the skyscraper on Earth. The mech ought to fall off, or at least flop backwards at its ankles or knees. Fortunately, the rules are L3.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
03/07/05 04:56 PM

Thank all the gods for that...
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8018

Contact Admins Sarna.net