Most Maligned or worst luck mech?

Pages: 1
Lone_Wolf_Radick
03/13/05 09:05 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
NOT counting the good ole whipping boy Urbanmech, which mechs have been the most maligned or have seemed to bring you all the worst luck?

For me as Inner Sphere it's easily the Cyclops... The last two times I fielded one of these it had it's head capped within two turns of engagement, and on another occasion, my Cyclops, acting as the C3 master of my force, went down from engine crits provided by a single Hunchback... I stay away from "ole Big Eye" now for superstitious reasons. Most Maligned? Outside of the Urbie I think the Rakshasa has gotten a pretty bad rap, probably because players expect it to be more of a doppleganger to the vaunted Timberwolf than it really is... another one with a bad rap among many players? The Stock Hollander... Sure a light mech with a gauss rifle is a nice sight but that's ALL it has and once it shoots it's 8 shots it's not fast enough to get away from most pursuit...

Clan? I think the Naga is the most maligned, because of it's not clan way of fighting, and the Thunder Stallion is maligned because it's not a very good design overall, but worst luck chassis? Hmm... I may have to get back to you all on this one...
War Never Determines who is right, only who is left.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing-Darth Vader"
Greyslayer
03/14/05 01:36 AM

Mad Cat.

I know what many of you think, it is a solid unit that can cut things to shreds, but we are talking 'worst luck' here and consistantly this mech has brought me more disaster than any other chassis. I've won grand mellee's in a Hank-yu, Couldron Born and a Loki. Gutted several units before falling in a Night Gyr, taken all comers and ended up being ganged up on by a pair of Ryokens in a badly damaged Thor (the one with ATMs) taking out one, so second-last unit left... etc but every time I take a Mad Cat whether I be playing enemy, in a blood name or as part of a tournament force it always die.
SSFSX17
03/14/05 03:33 AM

It probably has something to do with the fact that everyone is trying to kill the Mad Cat ASAP.
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
villagereaver
03/14/05 04:14 AM

Both the Atlas and Hunchback (while playing 3025 era campaigns) seem to get a great deal of the "oh-my-god-that-mech-has-an-AC/20!" total lance/company dumps. The Hunchback seems to go down before it gets into weapons range. Really, this is a respect of it, rahter than maligning it. It also has nothing to do with luck when a lance slags a HBK-4G.
Death to all BT and MW authors. For they are the bane of all that is good about the genre!
Nightward
03/14/05 06:58 AM

Almost undoubtedly.

I dunno, I always go well in Timber Wolf A's. Head shots abound...

I've never really found any particular unit sucks beyond belief, but then, I try to stay away from 'Mechs I dislike for any reason.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Gnome76
03/14/05 02:24 PM

The first time I ever played was very very quick. I take an LCT-1V, purely for entertainment value, my friend takes the TRO3025 Jenner... and I critted his ammo in the first turn. But every time I've played since then, I try to include some sort of Jenner and they survive about 90% of the time. Yessir, give me a company of Jenners, Panthers, and Warhammers, and I'll be happy. Maybe a Hatchetman for good measure.
NileIngrams
03/15/05 06:42 AM

Ok be warned everyone, this is a Rant!

Well, I do tend to swerve away from any mech that has more than three tonnes of ammo in it that can't be half emptied in 3 - 5 turns, but on the whole, there is no such thing as a bad mech - just bad application, bad terrain and bad tactics.

Bad Application: Why bring a LCT to a Jenner fight? Bring a JVN-10F, even an old fashion WLF-1 will do. Appraise what
that mech is good for before commiting to using it.

Bad Terrain: Why bring an LCT to a forrested map? Maybe that SDR would be better. Look at where you are fighting.
Even if you don't have a say, try at least to find out the map preferences of your opponents, you can then have a better
idea on what mechs are suitable for the terrain they are taking.

Bad Tactics: The Number One reason why mechs get destroyed, though your opponent does help if they spot a weakness. Such as closing within 3 hexes on an old fashion GRF-1N, Or that HBK-4G that wants to sit still in a light woods at 7 hexes to your WTH-1. Bad workmen blame their tools, though most of the time they are using their cellphones to hammer nails in and wonder why they aren't receiving calls any more.

Let's talk about the LCT-1V in the last post. Not very good at front up battles, unless it is on open ground where it can use it's speed. If they are far from danger, they can initiative sink. They can also spot for Indirect Fire for LRMs - great for that guy who loves to Camp their CPLT or ARC in partial at medium range - just run your LCT around to a safe spot out of LRM range, but in LOS and use your safely hidden LRM Machines to hit those campers. Infantry are very fearful of the LCT's MGs... if they are out in the open, they can easily wipe out a Platoon in 1 hit (for MGs roll 2D6 to see how many infantry die... then double the damage because the PBIs are out in the open!). LCTs are great for double blind games too, where they can be employed for their real role - AS A SCOUT! Whoever decided to take the Jenner was a (*&^($#^ Munchkin - not a particularly fair fight.

Every mech has a part to play. Not every mech is going to stand up to that Atlas that is trudging towards the city you are to defend, but at least there are Locusts out there to keep you informed on the position of that Atlas. There are Griffins who can harrass that Atlas at long range and a mixed bag of Enforcers, Hatchetmen, Blackjacks and Vindicators to tempt the Atlas into an ambush, where my Archers, Marauders and Warhammers can pound the munchy Atlas into scrap metal when he thinks he is about to take his first kill.

Don't get me going..... ;-P there is no such thing as a bad mech, just bad applilcations, bad terrain and bad tactics.
NileIngrams NI! - The Killer of Threads!
In the time before the return of the heirs of Kerensky,
when the Successor Lords had tired of bathing worlds in Nuclear Madness,
there was an age of High Adventure!

Edited by NileIngrams (03/15/05 06:42 AM)
Toontje
03/15/05 09:36 AM

I consistenly lose the THR-1L almost every time I use it, most often from side torso destruction. It also has problems connecting with the AC/20. Might be due to the mentioned 'geek the AC/20!' philosophy as well as the 'let's get to range 2 for my AC/20 and MPLs' philosophy. The Ti Ts'ang doesn't suffer from that, use it less but it rakes up kills and survives most of the time.

Nothing as bad as when I used the SRM carrier a lot, I remember the time I missed 10 9's. Also the time I stripped an annihilator of almost all it's armour before being destroyed the 4th turn in the open, so that might be a bitt off (elite pikes and srm carriers vs regular assaults).
Rather to blow up, then.
chez
03/15/05 10:56 PM

Without a shadow of a doubt the most unlucky mech I have ever used is the 3025 Crusader.I cannot remember an occasion where it walked on to the battlefield and WASN'T destroyed within 2 rounds by a centre torso (critical) , bottom table , number 5 , Oh look is that ammo? Can you say BOOM!!!
I wouldn't mind if I could get close to some enemies so at least the cataclysmic detonation takes out some opposing forces.
Nowadays I either get a T-Bolt or pay another 5 tons and get an Archer.
The thing is Crusaders look SO cool

chez
"In order to stab someone in the back it is first necessary to get right behind them" Sir Humphrey Appleby
Lone_Wolf_Radick
03/16/05 05:44 PM

Worst luck Clan chassis? I've figured it out... It's the Pirahna... I know the little bugger usually scores at least it's own weight in damage, but I don't think I've ever brought a pilot home in one... Good thing they're not heavy or terribly expensive... LOL

-Wolf
War Never Determines who is right, only who is left.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing-Darth Vader"
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7418

Contact Admins Sarna.net