Favorite and worst artists?

Pages: 1
Gnome76
03/16/05 11:44 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
So I'm flipping through my TROs, and I notice that some of the 'Mechs are less aesthetically pleasing than others... so I thought I'd ask everyone, who's your favorite artist, and who's your least favorite?

It doesn't have to be just TROs, it can be covers and other interior illustrations as well, just the TROs have the widest sampling.

Also, I'd like to see other people's choices before I post mine, mostly because I don't like starting arguements, just providing subject matter for them.
Grizzly
03/17/05 12:38 PM

I honestly don't dislike any of the artists. Each one has some art that I like and some art that I am not fond of. As far as favorites.... for old school I really like Jim Holloway and Jeff Laubenstein. They did some great stuff for covers and interior art work. For newer stuff Les Dorscheid, Franz Vohwinkel, Doug Chaffee have all done great cover work.

TRO3025 (original printing) is the standard to which all other TROs are compared, but I do like most of the art work from all of the other TROs. There are individual designs that I dont realy like, but overall I think they are well done. I don't remember all of the artists without looking at the TROs, so I can't name a particular artist for them.

I think you really need to look at each piece of art individually, instead of saying that one particular artist is better than another. I think each artist has done really great stuff, and each has done some art that I didn't like, but was still good.
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
SSFSX17
03/20/05 04:04 AM

My favorite artist is Shoji Kawamori, the guy who drew most of the unseen mechs.
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
Olos
04/14/05 02:49 AM

Got to be Loose anyone else and blah!
Karagin
04/19/05 06:01 PM

Loose is by far the best as far as mechs go. Laubestruim ( I know I slaugthered the name) was excellent for people and the art in the sourcebooks.

The worst by far is Plog. His mechs look too much like power armor and seem way out of protortion to what came before and he seems to have the same over all roundness to everything he draws. He does okay if he is modifing an exsiting drawing, but his original art doesn't appeal to me and about the only thing he has drawn that I like is the Epona Omni vehicle, but the rest of his work isn't really fit for BT it's mroe set for Heavy Gear.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Gnome76
04/20/05 02:29 AM

It's about time somebody came out and said it so I wouldn't feel out of place. Loose is the best, and Plog is... well... I won't say it here, but at least his power armor drawings aren't that bad... or anything else that's already been designed by someone else.

I particularly dislike the way he draws lasers, with a lens being exposed on the surface of the armor.
Karagin
04/20/05 02:34 AM

His take on ACs and RACs leaves one to wonder what he is using as a guide or for references.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6189

Contact Admins Sarna.net