WTF!?! Did wizkids do to this sacred game?

Pages: 1
TheCrusader
03/20/05 11:52 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
ok I'm about half way through this mechwarrior book entitled Ghost War, and its really screwed up. Can somebody tell me who the hell this Stone guy really is, how the hell WoB started this crap and how the innersphere just got rolled over.
Greyslayer
03/21/05 01:44 AM

Think of any bad anime/manga plot and make it worse. Thats how they did it
Grizzly
03/21/05 08:46 AM

To be honest, more information regarding the Jihad is coming, IIRC a new sourcebook or something is in the works. The short version is that WOB has been building up a secret army (siphoning money and material from the FWL, subverting mercs and periphery nations, etc) and using its substantial ROM resources to hide the evidence and gain new converts throughout the inner sphere. Damn that Conrad Toyama!

Either way it doesn't matter becuase you can still play the game in whatever era and however you like. They are still creating fiction based in the old timeline over at Battlecorps, haven't read any yet, but I am going to check it out eventually.
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
CrayModerator
03/21/05 09:20 AM

Quote:

how the hell WoB started this crap and how the innersphere just got rolled over.

The Inner Sphere got rolled over because WoB went for the capitols first, using warships and nukes. And then it used nukes in other spots, when it started losing the conventional war.

But, more than that, WoB got the Inner Sphere to fight itself. It tricked the Taurian Concordat into invading the Federated Suns (by dropping an asteroid on the Concordat capitol and blaming the FS). It made everyone think the Capellans were aiding WoB. It turned the FWL provinces against each other, even if WoB hadn't intended to. So, in addition to fighting WoB, the Inner Sphere fought itself.

And Stone is the Great Hero who united the Inner Sphere to deal with WoB.

Incidentally, all that hasn't actually happened to the Inner Sphere as far as BT is concerned. That "future history" is only currently applicable to the clicktech MWDA. The "Dawn of the Jihad" Sourcebook is due out later this year or next year, and that will begin the Jihad for CBT.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
03/21/05 11:21 AM

While that is true, on the part of playng when or how you want, you won't be stayin canon if you don't keep up with the new stuff or at least ackowledge it in some way so you end up out side of the loop.

And BattleCorps is pay to play kind of site...if you want stuff you can get for free from the other BT sites then go for it...

You also left out the Nukes and the other weapons of mass destruction which is their big ace in the hole...and the whole hidden army and everyone misses it is a load BS.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Karagin
03/21/05 11:22 AM

Wow that is putting it nicely.
Karagin

Karagin
03/21/05 11:26 AM

First they (WoB) have this hidden army that is powerful and can move around the IS with out anyone knowing it's there.

Then they used nukes to hit the capital worlds and other places they felt needed it, ie Outreach, then they also tossed in BioChem weapons and poof, the whole future of the game is set for the future which you are reading about in the WK MWDA setting...

The reasons given for this range from needing to simpfiy the game, guess it was to hard for some to move mechs, fire, and mark damage. And also to start fresh as to get teenagers and younger kids into it. The video game generation, the ones who have mommy and daddy to help them buy all they need to play and thus make money for WK.
Karagin

Grizzly
03/21/05 01:16 PM

So I don't stay "canon", big deal ... that never stopped me before. When the Clans came out, the group that I played with basically decided that the clans destroyed the balance of the game and we happily continued to play "old tech" battletech. I have since embraced level two play, but I still am not a big fan of the clans.... just their toys.
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Karagin
03/21/05 06:20 PM

For some that is important, for other's it's not.

Sadly for a lot of the players the game offical ends for them, when the Jihad stuff hits the stores. I am sure that the current push to go back and cover the older events in more detail is more to keep folks around and interested, but they can again only do so much and nothing new will happen from those products, though nice to see them, since that would change things from the current timeline. Still it would be nice if someone at WK and FP would listen and take the hint, that if they split the universe in two and have the MWDA be an opintional future history and do up other possible events that don't even touch on the MWDA timeline or events they would be getting more money and such. But I guess they don't see that.
Karagin

Greyslayer
03/22/05 12:38 AM

When I have suggested in the past that Battletech is just a rule system and the InnerSphere/Clans were a universe based on those rules systems (thus allowing other 'universes' to be supported under the one ruleset much like AD&D etc) it never went down well with the hanger-ons that now have elements of control on the Battletech Storyline.

Far country (the novel) was bad because it included talking birds. The actual ideas covered in the novel were pretty good though, so battletech universes based on misjumps etc would make interesting reading and add spice to a dieing (current) universe.
Karagin
03/22/05 01:19 AM

I agree. There is some much in the back story of the BT universe that they could have done more with it and had all of the interguie and plot twists to keep the story going for another 10 years easy.

So many things that happen between the 2nd SW and current times they could have played with and we would have gotten an in-depth look into the whole IS etc..but no that wasn't to be.

You are correct Far Country died because of the birds, beyond that it was interesting look at what happen to a group who misjumped. Too bad the same thing couldn't happen to the current push to the Jihad and MWDA.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 166 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7058

Contact Admins Sarna.net