Gauss vs ACs (all versions)

Pages: 1
Karagin
04/23/05 02:50 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay here is a topic that we can really sink our teeth into:

Of the two direct fire ammo feed class guns, ie the Gauss rifle and it's variants and the ACs and it's variants, which would you go with and why?

Also which has the most advantages thus given you more cause to pick it over the other guns?

Let's here what you folks have to say on this.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Verge
04/23/05 07:47 AM

First of all, Hail all! I used to post here a long time ago. I went away to college, graduated, and came back to find my ID still valid! WHHOOO!!!!

Ok, the gauss rifle is a beautiful weapon, but I don't feel like lumping it into this post because it's just going to throw a wrench in my train of thought. In fact, it already has.

Instead, I'm focusing on the auto-cannons, and I mean the old school versions. I play 3025 mostly, as late as 3055 on rare occasions.

So, the AC/20 is too heavy and short ranged to be of particular use. The ammunition is in short supply, and on a mech like the Hunchback, it can be seen from a mile away. Other pilots can also usually do something about it before you get to use it, and when you realize that, it becomes effective. In dense urban terrain or heavy woods it's a great thing because by the time they can effectively shoot at you, they're in range of it. The AC/20 is also fun to throw on that Panther variant you made just before the game. Just to scare the living daylights out of that one mech that lets you get close thinking "His PPC will NEVER work at this range!"

The AC/5 is a nice weapon for range on a light to medium mech, but having the strength of a medium laser at 8 tons plus ammo weight just seems like a waste.

The AC/10 is my favorite of the auto-cannons. The range is slightly less than what's comfortable for me, but it really pays off in damage. Throw that on a mech that has maneuverability to compensate for this and likes being in close (Hatchetman, anyone?), and you've got a serious fighter. Also on heavier mechs the LB-10X auto-cannon is great at increasing chance for criticals. Expose internal structure with the ranged weapons, and the scatter damage from that auto-cannon will help to make sure you hit that location again. But I suppose you can do that with LRMs or SRMs.

Last, and unfortunately, least in my book; is the AC/2. Outstanding range and no damage, not even enhanced damage against infantry, like the machineguns and flame-throwers get. I wish this weapon had a purpose that I could see. I got to thinking once that if the rules for it had been altered to say that it was great at penetrating armor, it would be cool. Say one point of damage in front armor, one in internal structure, and a chance for critical hit on ten or better? But every thing that I could think of seemed to lean things way too much in its favor. I did like the Vulcan mech however, which used this as its only ranged weapon (others being a machinegun, a flame-thrower, and a medium laser). I realize that it's a mech designed solely for policing actions against infantry on backwater garrison planets. But isn't it just your luck that would be the mech your father used and his father before him, to be passed down to you? Something you looked at in awe as a kid, but once you got it you realized it was a run-down p.o.s. and would never hold its own in battle. Remember, not everyone is given a brand new mech with perfect weapons for the environment like clanners. Most inner-spheres men that are from a family lucky enough to own a battle mech, get something rare and antiquated with no spare parts for light-years around. Maybe I only feel that way because that's been my luck with cars...

Ah cripes! I'm already rambling on my first post in ages! Okay, in closing, AC/10s rock, sorry for the long post, and do machineguns count in this discussion? Because if they did then they earn points for looking so cool in MW2: Mercenaries.
Greyslayer
04/23/05 08:30 AM

There are some funky level 2 ammo types for the old Autocannons now that seriously improve these weapons (such as the gyro-ammo -2 to hit 1/2 the number of shots per ton).
Lone_Wolf_Radick
04/23/05 08:37 AM

Yeah, the new ammo types help out a lot, and in some cases make standard AC's nearly as valuable as the much vaunted Ultra counterparts... But nobody has mentioned the RAC yet? I mean sure, it's as likely to jam up as fire, but surely they deserve a part in this argument as well... I like RAC's... when they're working, they work wonders... Then the dreaded Jam, and you curse the day you ever decided to put an RAC on your mech in the first place... LOL. RAC's seem to be an afterthought, a compromise for players who aren't quite satisfied with standard AC's but don't quite like the Ultra's either.

-Wolf
War Never Determines who is right, only who is left.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing-Darth Vader"
Greyslayer
04/23/05 09:16 AM

RACs can always be unjammed, which is far handier than what happens to the ultras.
Silenced_Sonix
04/23/05 11:46 AM

Yes, and with the Mucnhkin Clan RAC/20, your damage potential goes up by 120 points for just one weapon. Also, the RAC/5 works wonders when replacing a AC/10 or UAC/10 in a design - it weighs less, does more damage in multi-barrel mode, and the extra weight comes in handy when alotting additional ammo. Also, because the rounds scatter a little, it is similair to a heavy-handed LB-X cannon when going for criticals.
Evolve or Die
Nightward
04/27/05 04:39 AM

Depends. Generally speaking, the LB-10, Gauss, and Ulta A/C-20 are more likely to see effective use in a normal, sit-down game than the others.

Most 'Mechs with other A/C calibres tend to be a bit more difficult to use, and you start to move into the realm of specialty tactics with them.

That said, I dunno about A/C-20s in 3025. Everything that carries one has the ability to make you pay...except the Urbie
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Verge
04/27/05 06:39 AM

I still don't think A/C-20s are generally a weapon generally worth bringing on the battle field, but now that you mention it, I have been dropped by a few Atlases in my time because of that thing. I always wondered why it wasn't taken off in favor of more long-ranged firepower. However even with the slow movement speed, it'll make the trip to get in range. (only talking about the standard configs here)

Even the lighter and slightly faster Hunchback will make it to the target with proper cover and tactics.

Moral being; sometimes the wepon is only as good as the mech mounting it, and sometimes that mech is only as good as the warrior piloting it.

The more obvious lesson to me was that I really had to stop bringing Banshees to Atlas fights.
Silenced_Sonix
04/28/05 04:08 PM

Try the 5S version of the Banshee: dual PPC's, and a Gauss to boot. Then you just have to outmaneuver the Atlas
Evolve or Die
Toontje
05/08/05 09:51 AM

Try the thunder.. always dies on me, but leaves its marks.

AC/2's are great on pikes.. A lance of 'em with decent gunners can ruin any day if supported. AC/20's obviously have their advantages, ac/10 good range and damage (comparable to LL with 25% more oumph!). AC/5 similar to ac/2, best on a tank instead of a 'mech.

UAC's and LBX's extend their use to 'mechs as well, but oldskool the ac/20 and 10 are the main ones good on 'mechs.

Gauss is better offensive but explodes easier due to having more crits that do that (instead of a single or 2 for ammo.) But for taste, I prefer AC's. (One gets fed up with gauss/erppc's as only stuff on ones opponents 'mechs next to MPL's. Mainly IS opposition that is.)
Rather to blow up, then.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 144 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8132

Contact Admins Sarna.net