Protomechs and the Inner Sphere

Pages: 1
Karagin
06/20/05 07:23 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay since it seems that every Clan that wants protomechs can have them no matter what, (note this is based on what is in the Combat Equipment Guide) I was thinking how soone before the Inner Sphere powers start to field their own versions of these things...so who would be the first to get these into the field?

My money would be on Laio or Davion with the ComStar/WoB coming in next. Mainly given that with two of the four groups mentioned they can easily convince some of their more brainwashed subjects to go for the EI implants and all of the rest. As for Davion and ComStar, it's new tech and is some shape or form it gives them an edge over their enemies so I don't see them turning it down.

What about the rest of you?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Nightward
06/21/05 12:19 AM

Probably Word of Blake, then ComStar. WoB has so little regard for human life that they would be willing to experiment with it; ComStar, OTOH, has the real thing handy. Both are more advanced technologically than the rest of the Inner Sphere.

After that, probably Liao, then Steiner, then Davion. House Marik would probably be the last to pick it up.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Karagin
06/21/05 02:25 AM

I think the WoB and Cappies would be all over this stuff, given that they can do more with less.
Karagin

CrayModerator
06/21/05 09:50 AM

TPTB have ruled "no protos for the Inner Sphere", but I think low tech protos (no EI) would work great for the Inner Sphere or Periphery. Lose the "near miss hit locations" and you've got a good low tech protomech.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
06/21/05 10:20 AM

Sure a lower tech version would be something the IS could come up with. And I am aware of the TPTB have said. Won't be surprised though if we see something similar to Protos show up in the IS down the road.

Anyone note that Protos seem to dissappear after the Jihad?
Karagin

Greyslayer
06/21/05 11:34 AM

Its funny no-one mentions Kurita. They have direct links with a Clan (with Nova Cats) and in the past enough efforts to exterminate people without regard. Sure the leadership has changed a bit and some effort has gone into changing other aspects but things like the Black dragon society will continue popping up there.... plus the fervour whipped up to defeat the Smoke Jags has to go somewhere it doesn't just dissipate.

So my money if I was a gambling man would be on the pseudo-dragons
Karagin
06/21/05 05:07 PM

It is possible, they would have the people and the means as well. But I think we would see them as one of the last ones mainly because they would wait for the overall reaction to go away or maybe not.
Karagin

Nightward
06/21/05 07:06 PM

I dunno. The Combine has a very definate bias towards MechWarriors; everyone else (except, possibly, ASF division) are regarded as a necessary evil. Given the high emphasis on individual skill and the lower emphasis on real technological change (the DCMS came up with dumb-fire rockets and Streak SRM-2s strapped together as their new House Weapons), the notion of EI isn't really likely for the Dragon.

Disposable infantry, yes. But Battlesuits (and/or ProtoMech outfits) would be rare enough the Dragon wouldn't risk EI on them.

'Sides, many would see EI as cheating, which honourable warriors don't do.

Also also, the Nova Cats and the Combine don't get on too well any more. They had a quiet little war not so long ago.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Nightward
06/21/05 07:21 PM

Proto's weren't too well recieved. Amongst BT players.

Also, none of the factions come the Dark Age could really field them; possibly the real Clans or Great Houses could, but the RotS and other bit players can't.
Karagin
06/21/05 10:27 PM

Good point.
Karagin

Karagin
06/21/05 10:29 PM

True, but I thought they patched things up and all were buddy buddy with the Black Dragons getting stomped on.
Karagin

Nightward
06/23/05 12:59 AM

Heh. No.

The Cats went along with things at the time because Theodore Kurita was the First Lord, and their visions told them that the Dragon would crush them otherwise. After the second Star League collapsed and Alshain Avengers went crazy, they went back to having a nice little cold war.

The fact that the Nova Cat's new civilians (former Combine citizens handed over to the Cats when Theodore gave them the Irece Prefecture) loathe, hate, and abhor the situation also creates a mess.

Essentially, the Combine's got a Chaos March where the Irece Prefecture used to be. That's OK, though, because apparently nothing happens outside the RotS these days...
Karagin
06/23/05 01:13 AM

Which novel or sourcebook is this? Last I looked the SL was still kicking well barely...Did I miss a book about Battletech?
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7559

Contact Admins Sarna.net