Monumental stuff-ups

Pages: 1
Greyslayer
06/22/05 04:19 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Not including Fasa/FanPro/Wizkidz produced material and rulings what is the greatest stuff-up either yourself or an opponent has done during a game. It could be anything from remaining stationary seven hexes away from an elite Masakari in partial cover or a simple example here:

I was piloting a long-ranged machine with decent close-up firepower in the body during a tourney sometime back. My opponent had decided since I had parked myself against the edge of the board to come screaming up to push me off the board (charging would probably not have worked since my guy couldn't fall over unless I started taking actuators or gyro hits he was that good). Anyway my short-range weapons were in my torsos and my long-range weapons in my arms.

With a look of glee he declares his 'coupe de grace' of pushing me off the board. I declare a push back, puzzlement from my opponent who just wore a belly full of damage. Surely if he pushes me off the board he wins? Well only if I fail to push him back, funnily enough we just ended up where we started with his mech the far worse for wear.

My personal stuff-up:

We were playing a Grand Melee and we were reduced to two mechs, my untouched Shadow Cat and my opponents near dead Mad Cat. Anyway he was almost down for the count and in my arrogance of the situation I decided to MASC in and finish him off with +4 mods. You guessed it, the MASC froze and to make it really funny my pilot stood with the +4 pilot skill checks.
Nightward
06/26/05 01:17 AM

Just about everything I do.

Ahaha.

Ahem.

Worst mistake I've ever seen made was Ned's vehicle outfit at Mal's tournament last time. I had a Wolfhound with a KO'd pilot in partial cover, a Flashman that was half-dead, and a Mongoose that wasn't looking too happy...

And Ned decides to spread the firepower around. He had a Saladin behind the KO'd Wolfhound, another in front of the Flashman, and... Pegasi? Some other thing floating around, too.

Everything either misses or collects arms and legs, with the result that the following turn, I kill 150-odd tons worth of tanks. He could have had me in that turn if he'd just concentrated on the Flashman and the Wolfhound, but I think he was going for a total victory that round.

My biggest stuff-up was chasing down a Stormcrow-A. I was in a Nova H for a friendly game, and he had Gnomes riding on it. I'd savaged the front, and then he turned and fled into a forest, exposing his rear. I spiralled in to finish the job...

Only to discover that, thanks to the Gnomes, he had better rear armour than front. And then he delivered two A/C-20 shots to my centre torso.

Arg.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
MisterAnderson
08/12/05 04:18 AM

Quote:

I was piloting a long-ranged machine with decent close-up firepower in the body during a tourney sometime back. My opponent had decided since I had parked myself against the edge of the board to come screaming up to push me off the board (charging would probably not have worked since my guy couldn't fall over unless I started taking actuators or gyro hits he was that good). Anyway my short-range weapons were in my torsos and my long-range weapons in my arms.

With a look of glee he declares his 'coupe de grace' of pushing me off the board. I declare a push back, puzzlement from my opponent who just wore a belly full of damage. Surely if he pushes me off the board he wins? Well only if I fail to push him back, funnily enough we just ended up where we started with his mech the far worse for wear.

Well being the opponent in question in this particular instance, I'd have to disagree with it being a "monumental stuff-up". In fact I don't really see it being a stuff up at all.

It was essentially the last round of the match and as I hadn't managed to take down any of your mechs & you'd parked a mech on the edge of the board I thought: "Well here's a chance to possibly to take out a mech with a single dice roll close to the end of the match"....so I went for it. I was only losing out on firing 2 medium lasers from the Grasshopper that ran in to try for the push. And yes the Grasshopper did take armour damage, but it was nothing more than that.

So to sum up: I took a chance to take something out, failed my roll but didn't pay for it by losing my own unit. All I had to do was make my roll & it would have been an entirely different story. Nothing monumental about that...

Even now that I am aware of the fact that 2 pushes cancel out each other, if I'm ever presented with the exact same situation again, I will do exactly the same thing again. Who wouldn't take that chance on the last round of the game?

And I did manage to come second in that tournament.... (and ended up losing out by 10 tons from the 1st place getter - think I did pretty well for my second ever tournament)

But I'll admit to making a stuff up in the first round... wandering my Wolverine within 3 hexes of Maruader 2 pilot with Zero piloting. I didn't pay for it after the DFA, but did eventually lose the mech a few rounds later because of it.
Greyslayer
08/12/05 05:42 AM

Grasshopper? Not the time I was talking about. This was a Syndey tourney several years ago. I've had it happen 3 times, but the time I was talking about was the worst situation. At least a grasshopper can just away after a botched attempt in this case the unit could not jump away and lost initiative next turn (not the end of the game).
MisterAnderson
08/12/05 05:46 AM

Fair enough - but that scenario you described sounded exactly like our match in FOW in February this year.
Greyslayer
08/15/05 12:44 AM

Its a familiar scenario as I am not afraid of using the map edge.

There are times when my amazing poor dice rolls do come into play in such situations for eg I set up someone to come charging in to push me off. Fired off some 200 damage worth of weapons from surrounding mechs as it was a very silly thing to do, not needing high numbers to hit and I missed with nearly everything. He needed a high number to successfully push, which he did and I needed a low number to push back which I didn't. I should really get used to rolling like that though you would think?
MisterAnderson
08/15/05 02:22 AM

Thats pretty bold stuff mate.

I think it will indeed be a cold day in hell when I move to a board edge and risk someone pushing me off - it would shit me to tears to have it happen like what you just decribed.

Nope....if they wan't to try and take one of my mechs out, they are going to earn it by doing it the hard way.
Greyslayer
08/15/05 08:52 PM

Strategically you want someone to move a unit out of place. It has worked in breaking a cohesive unit as a mech went one-out to try to take out a mech next to the map edge. I usually use the move 2nd last allowing the opponent to respond with one maybe two units but allowing one of my units to also respond by positioning itself after the opponent's response.

Also my luck in general sucks, but my luck with my back armour is far worse *mumbles something about the number of Dervish he has lost to ammo explosions while falling over*. It is actually a nice move for say a hunchback as their back armour really really sucks and their firepower in the rear arc is basically non-existant but they have two full lots of arm actuators and most of their weapons in their torsos.

Another situation I've used is a mech that basically only had one leg but jump jets. I jumped it to the edge of the mapboard and it failed its landing, it fell but after that turn no-one could attack its back and it always was able to get at least a weapon on anyone that got close.... it also couldn't be pushed off the mapboard so it soaked initiative, it added defence as a sort of pill-box and the player had to actually try to kill it the hard way... its all how you look at the rules.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6163

Contact Admins Sarna.net