Help!

Pages: 1
Wraith
06/26/05 04:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
As our last thing before I move 1700 miles to my new job, me and a couple friends are going to have a fun little battle. A Clan star vs. 2 IS lances. I really don't like the limited mech selection in BMR(r) for Clan mechs, does anyone know where I could find better random mech charts?
-Wraith
Karagin
06/26/05 04:45 PM

You could try one of the FMs or you could do what happens a lot in my group, take the mech sheets mix them up really good, (upside down) then randomly draw out 5 mechs and that is what you get.

Works well enough for my group, so it might work for you and your buddies.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Wraith
06/29/05 12:18 PM

So, we had our battle yesterday. Used the Kurita chart from MechWarrior, just rolled randomly for which level 1 variants they got. Wound up just using the Ghost Bear chart from BMR for my star. Found out that I don't like the Random Experience Table, getting decent pilots is very tough. Initially we rolled up 2 heavy lances and a heavy star for me. First heavy lance: 1 Assault, 3 Heavy (VTR-9B, QKD-5A, DRG-1N, DRG-1N, all were 4/5 or 4/6). 2nd heavy lance: 2 Assault 2 Heavy (DRG-1N, VTR-9B, CGR-1A9, JM6-S 4/5 and 4/6, except for the 2/3 JM6-S). My Heavy star was 5 Heavy: Summoner Prime (1/2), Summoner A, Mad Dog Prime, Mad Dog B, Mad Dog C (all 3/4, well Mad Dog C started at 4/5 but we elected to skill it down, reason later).

We ran the BV for the mechs, I had 13k they had 8k. So we decided they needed another lance. Another Heavy lance was rolled, DRG-1C, MAD-3D, OSR-2L, TDR-5S (gunnery between 4 and 6!). The Dracs were still 1k BV low, so we gave them a random assault mech for a commander, rolled a 4/5 Veteran BLR-1D. This put them up by 300 BV, so that's when we upped my Mad Dog C to a 3/4. Put me at 13.4k BV, they had 13.3k BV.

Scenario was that my star, fresh from the sibko, had managed to get itself bid to take a world in the 2nd wave. The defenders were students at a small academy. The BLR was piloted by the head of the school, the VTRs were piloted by other teachers. All of the older mechwarriors were old-school Kuritans, so as long as one was alive the RoE would stand. The teachers did order their students to get better position to "observe" the fight (nice way to flank before the RoE were broken LOL).

My mechs challenged the biggest ones they could find, Summoner Prime (Star Captain Fred) vs. BLR
Summoner A vs. CGR
Mad Dog Prime vs. VTR
Mad Dog B vs. VTR
Mad Dog C vs. MAD
Terrain was IS starting on Desert Hills 2, Clan starting on Open Terrain 1. Combat started at fairly long range, I was needing 11s to hit. Then the IS got into partial cover, had 9s or so to hit at medium range (my Mad Dog C just couldn't pull off the headcap). Damage started to get done, my Summoner A loved hitting the CGR low, hipped him on my 2nd volley. The IS mechs also had a nasty habbit of taking 20 points of damage and falling over... Turn 4, my Summoner Prime had been working the BLR over pretty well. Hit with everything, was just going along rolling locations. Rolled my last one, not even realizing what the box cars really signified, then it dawned on me: my weapon after the LRM-15 is an ER-PPC Dropped that BLR on the spot. Meanwhile, the VTR facing my Mad Dog B had only hit me twice. AC-20 needing 9, then AC-20 needing 10, both to my left leg. Leg removed. The VTR offered me surrender, I refused and next turn blew open his torso and ammo-ed him (his parting shot was to my left torso with his AC-20). The Mad Dog Prime did the same to the other Victor. My Summoner A found a nice Heavy Woods hex with 2 intervening Light Woods hexes, so pounded the CGR for a couple rounds when the CGR couldn't see him. Couldn't manage to crit him, did make him fall and almost ammo himself (my friend was looking at the wrong torso when he rolled crit location LOL).
With their teachers down, the Clanners heard the students go nuts and broadcast to just kill the bastards. RoE were out, and my Mad Dog Prime and Mad Dog C were now facing 5 mechs. The Summoners only had their 2 targets, the CGR and after killing the BLR the Summoner Prime had challenged the TDR. The Prime pilot claimed rank, and they traded targets. He ran beside the CGR and proceeded to smack it around some, and then stepped on its head. A DRG-1N ran to the hill overlooking my Mad Dog B, it propped itself up on its left arm and opened fire with an LRM-20 w/Artemis IV, 3 MPLAS, and 2 SSRM-6, hitting with everything. Most of the shots went to a side torso that held ammo, the SSRMs gave me several crit chances, which I used to blow the mech sky high. After solo killing 2 enemy mechs, one 20 tons heavier, that pilot needed a name. I christened him "Mechwarrior Barney," so now I had Fred and Barney

My Mad Dog C decided that 3 enemies fighting it was too much, and it needed to lie down, so taking 20 points of damage and needing a 5, it fell over The Mad Dog Prime was dishing out tons of damage, at the expense of heat, splitting fire between the OSR in its face and the MAD 200 meters away. Fired and hit the OSR in the head with 1 MPLAS, which was perfect because then the Mad Dog C hit it with 1 Gauss, forcing a piloting chech which was failed. Down went the OSR, with 2 head hits. Next turn, the Mad Dog C got up, was shot, and fell down again. Most of the game I could only hit with 1 gauss rifle at a time, pretty much concentrating on the MAD, stripping all its armor away. The Mad Dog Prime was doing well, put a MPLAS into the head of the QKD, and the pilot rolled snakeeyes on its conciousness check. He did some insignificant damage before passing out. Then the OSR fired. Alpha-striked from prone 3 hexes away. Hit with 1 LL and 2 ML. All 3 hit my 16 armored Right Torso. Crit chance. 1 crit. Ammo. Poor Mad Dog Prime. Fortunately I only had 2 shots left, so only 40 points of damage, which didn't kill the mech. The 2 pilot hits hurt though, knocked my pilot out.

A Dragon and a Jagermech picked on my downed Mad Dog B, doing all their damage to its already-AC-20-ed Left Torso, finally rendering the left arm incapacitated. As that happened, it smacked the Jagermech around pretty well. With the JM6-S going to be at range 4 next turn, and 2 SSRM-6 still able to fire, Barney would probably have gotten another kill before he was taken out. My Summoners were working on the TDR, and a 5/6 skilled Dragon-1C was approaching the woods they were in.

We'd been playing for 4.5 hours, and my wife was going to be upset, so we left the game at that. I'd killed 4 mechs, 2 of his mechs were down and pretty much out. He killed 1 mech, my Mad Dog B had been seriously damaged, and my Summoner Prime had no armor on its left torso. Had we played on, my Summoners had the speed and jump capability to get onto the Desert Hills (we were right on the map border as it was), and use their speed and lack of head hits to kill the enemy, who just didn't have the skills to hit jumping Summoners. All but 1 of the standing enemy mechs had pilot damage, making it even better for me to play cat and mouse.

All in all it was quite a fun game. The BV matching was much better than the initial idea of just 5 vs. 8, as my mechs were barely scratched by the time that 4 of the initial 5 mechs I'd challenged were killed.
-Wraith
Greyslayer
06/30/05 02:35 AM

Just quickly, did you use all clan locations have case for the ammo explosion? The pilot would still have 2 head hits and if you didn't have automatic ejection off then be forced to eject anyway.

Quote:

Barney would probably have gotten another kill before he was taken out.

This would be provided he could stand as he did not have two functional arms you cannot fire when prone unless you are playing level 3 rules.

It also sounded like some pretty poor tactical manouvers by some of the units, but then I didn't actually see the battle.
Wraith
06/30/05 10:56 AM

oh yeah, forgot about the CASE. whoops!

thought you could prop if you had 1 arm functional? we didn't look up that rule, I know you can in Neveron and unfortunately that's most of my recent BT-like experience.

What sounds like poor tactical maneuvering to you?
-Wraith
Greyslayer
07/01/05 02:17 AM

Quote:

oh yeah, forgot about the CASE. whoops!

common mistake when you are out of practice.

Quote:

thought you could prop if you had 1 arm functional? we didn't look up that rule, I know you can in Neveron and unfortunately that's most of my recent BT-like experience.

Level 3 rule, you can prop with only 1 arm but you suffer a further +1 modifier (thus harder again to hit anything).

Quote:

What sounds like poor tactical maneuvering to you?

If he was always going to breach the ROE then he should be aiming to do so in such a way as to lead your troops into a crossfire situation. Also at a tactical level he had more to gain by issuing challenges from lighter mechs as this forces the clanner to accept the challenge leading them into crossfire of stationary mechs, though the clanner could fire on a second target this would mean no other clan mech could fire on that target either thus allowing for far nastier crossfire scenarios I've played both sides of this kind of fight so I have experience in the crossfire ambush.... personally I would be using vehicles for support though as well since clanner classify them as free targets they can fire at any clan unit (at least in the early books they were) without breaking the ROE
Wraith
07/01/05 11:30 AM

I was definitely in a crossfire, although they made the mistake of one side of flankers moving faster than the other side, so only half of my forces were surrounded when the RoE were called off. Decided to go all mechs for this fight, the whole "kings of the battlefield" bit Maybe I'll try to get them into MegaMek, then we could replay this once I've moved, using actual rules more would help LOL.

How would you work out issuing challenges? We just did it that since I was the attacker, I got to issue them. (really would have been nasty if the decently-armored-but-not-many-guns Dragons would have challenged my mechs, letting the Victors especially slip behind!)
-Wraith
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 204 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5839

Contact Admins Sarna.net