Noob asks: which rules to buy?

Pages: 1
indigoglyph
11/05/05 06:51 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Can anyone help?

I used to play the original BT -- sadly, my books are long gone.
I'm hoping to get into MegaMek play asap (living in the UK outback as I am)

Are WizKidz 'classic' rules essential, or can I get by with an older FASA set (e.g. from eBay)?
Either way, what rules extensions should I buy? I've seen the 'Master Rules', but there seem to be other extensions.

-indigoGlyph
Karagin
11/05/05 10:29 AM

You can get by with an older set if you don't want to use anything really new like the heavy Gauss rifle or other new weapons and tech.

The BMR-R is pretty much needed for current time frame play. But as I said if you want to play a normal BT game then any rule set will work.

Max Tech is a good one to get, since it adds a lot of good Level 3 rules and items. Aerotech2-R is needed for well using spaceships and fighters. Beyond those three, BMR-R, MaxTech, and AT2-R you really don't anything else.

Though you may want to get a copy of the Heavy Metal Pro programs to make the mechs and all the other units in the game.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Toontje
11/05/05 05:58 PM

Max tech is useless for normal games. BMR-R will do for the game rules. The new incarnation of house books (not Field manuals) is superb for the background stories if you're interested in more than the bare game system.
Rather to blow up, then.
Karagin
11/05/05 09:43 PM

MaxTech is not useless. No worse then using anything else.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Auren_Shiro
11/08/05 08:08 AM

Some stuff in Max Tech, I wish was level 2, like Laser Heat Sinks. It even says in the Fluff that the Night Gyr Uses them!

LACs are your friend. And Heavy Guass Rifles are highly overrated. I'd rather have my MK. II HGR.
Need...more...Nevcrack...
indigoglyph
12/23/05 11:15 AM

Thanks all.

I now have BMR, loads of TROs and loads of soon-to-be-Lyran mechs thanks to ebay.

There's just so much history to catch up on - will have to buy some house books
Toontje
12/27/05 08:55 AM

Max tech is useless for normal games, although that might be from my point of view. The rules found therein are some good, some less good, but add complexity. For someone starting, it's already bad enough using the full rules in BMR.

[snip] My bad misread noob and old-timeplayer[/snip]

Base rules are a good refresher. I think very litle changed from when you played, mainly AMS changed.
Rather to blow up, then.

Edited by Toontje (12/27/05 08:57 AM)
SCUM
12/27/05 09:43 PM

Of all the lv3 tech, I'm a fan of composite IS, hardened armor, torso cockpits, and the adjustable targeting computer.
Jer 33:3
9th Kyu AOSRKKF
Promo Code:scumsentme
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6456

Contact Admins Sarna.net