Recommendations...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Toontje
07/12/06 03:56 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
found it, found it!

---
Also, that quality of information seems to be plenty for Dubya to make executive decisions. Do roleplayers need better info than world leaders to run a fictional campaign?
---

It *can* be taken as a reference to the: 'They got WMD, ready to launch within 24 hr, 100% sure! (12 months later)hmm, nevermind, we found out they did not have them after all.' political scrambled egg, looking at the reference to iraq, and mr prez.

You frequent US-bashing boards sometimes, Karagin? Bit touchy there.

btw, the start of GWII is a perfect RL example of the fog of war portraid in the Jihad series. As a civilian, you only knew what was being said. CNN was a perfect PsyOps example of that time, both fortify the home spirit by glorifying war and feed false information to the defenders, to draw out the fortified tanks into open terrain.

Just remember those times 4 years ago, and look back on them, and you see the quite realistic point of view offered by the Jihad books.
Rather to blow up, then.
Karagin
07/14/06 07:39 AM

Was talking about Crays' post not yours.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
07/14/06 09:17 AM

Quote:

Was talking about Crays' post not yours.

Right. So which of mine look like complaints?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
07/16/06 06:08 AM

Your comments about the President, when you compared things to his actions etc...again you don't like what he did, then vote for the other party. There was no need to bring political comments or complaints into this dicussion, which you did with your Dubbya comment.
Karagin

CrayModerator
07/16/06 10:00 AM

Oh, THAT complaint.

Quote:

There was no need to bring political comments or complaints into this dicussion, which you did with your Dubbya comment.

I think the analogy was on target, if inappropriate. You want a very high degree of information quality for your game, but in real life, people - even national leaders - have to work with vague data.

If anything, a game should have a much easier time dealing with imprecise data. Certainly the GM is in a position to write the universe as he needs for your game, so some vague data in DotJ or Hotspots:3070 should in no way hinder you.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (07/16/06 10:07 AM)
Karagin
07/17/06 06:01 AM

The role players maybe, but wait BATTLETECH isn't about roleplaying, it a wargame. So having the actually FACTUAL info is important and giving out that info in a sourcebook that present it so ALL can understand it.

Save the roleplaying stuff for books that deal with such events like novels and wait do I dare suggest this, RPG scenario packs. That is where the news reporting belongs or if it has to be in a sourcebook, which by the way means I or anyone can get actual factually sources and material from, then have it as a side bar, or say an opening bit to a section or chapter.

Real life and battletech don't mix well. That has been proven daily with the Jihad and with the "ideas" about the tech and math in BT.

Again sure we can play how we want, but then for those who want to play in the canon universe, ie they work with the events, it's not easy to do anything currently because no matter what a stroke of the pen and poof all is wiped out by TPTB with the next Jihad book. And even in real life, the data is present as accurate based several sources. Can it be proven wrong later, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that at one point someone felt it was correct and some who believed that is was also correct actted on it. Being over here in Baghdad, I have found that you have all the data and folks still draw different consclusion and each consclusion has to be checked out. Vague isn't what the Jihad stuff is, confusing and misleading is the actual words that need to be used. Again this a sourcebook, not a propoganda book.

We have seen the "first hand reports" now let's move on to the real sourcebook style books and save this other stuff for novels and short stories etc...
Karagin

Greyslayer
07/17/06 12:17 PM

Quote:

If anything, a game should have a much easier time dealing with imprecise data. Certainly the GM is in a position to write the universe as he needs for your game, so some vague data in DotJ or Hotspots:3070 should in no way hinder you.

It depends on information you want. As a GM you do not want vague data if you want a hand in crafting the campaign. Vague data is what the GM passes onto the player not what the GM works with.

If nothing else it should be a helpful aid.
adamwehn
07/17/06 12:56 PM

I personally as a GM don't want information levels that are high. As a GM I want data/facts/fluff and such to a degree that it gives you a good idea of what's going on, but also leaves flexibility to go off on your own tangent. I don't need to know when Victor Steiner-Davion sneezes, but when he makes a major decision that will affect his empire/the inner sphere overall I'd like to know. But this is just me...
Karagin
07/17/06 02:13 PM

Good point and that is what the HOTSPOTS book and the Dawn book only give is vague data, nothing to really work with.
Karagin

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 17568

Contact Admins Sarna.net